IKEA
By IKEA
#1 in Home Stores
Natalie M.
Des Moines, IA

IKEA is HUGE! Does anyone have a good "plan of attack" for how to navigate the massive store?

Katie S.
Katie S.
Gilberts, IL
2 years, 8 months ago
I set aside a couple of hours and just explore!
Megan D.
Megan D.
South Holland, IL
4 years, 3 months ago
Depends if it is your first time visiting an Ikea or not. If it is your first time, then I highly recommend seeing everything they have to offer, even when you know exactly what you want, unless you are pressed for time. I have found things that I did not know were offered by Ikea and now they are my go to store for those items. You should give yourself at least one hour to browse the show room floor, and another hour in the marketplace, with time to finish up warehouse. If you are there all day - plan to eat lunch or dinner there, the food isn't bad. If you do not have hours to spend and know you need a coffee table in black with storage, then research online, call local store to see if it is in stock and just head to the warehouse to get it. If you need to see it before buying it, use the shortcuts in the store to get exactly where you need to go. I enjoy going to Ikea, but I know I am spending a solid 3 hours there easy.
Bonnie C.
Bonnie C.
Tacoma, WA
4 years, 4 months ago
I just follow the arrows, but sometimes get turnaround.
Kaitlyn H.
Kaitlyn H.
Washington, VA
4 years, 5 months ago
Write a list of what you need beforehand to avoid wandering aimlessly throughout the store or forgetting anything. It's also helpful to write down measurements and dimensions of the space you're looking to fill. I once bought a bookcase from IKEA without realizing it would be too tall to fit in my room. Most IKEA's have tape measures, pencils, and maps with lists that are useful to write down items and their measurements as you shop. If you pick out a piece of furniture in the showroom, be sure to write down where to find it in the warehouse.
Elyse O.
Elyse O.
Philadelphia, PA
4 years, 5 months ago
Make sure to have a list of what you want to get or a general idea of what you're looking for cuz I'll just go crazy in ikea without one :P I also like to look up reviews of products online, if I'm going there specifically for one thing.
Samantha B.
Samantha B.
Dover Plains, NY
4 years, 5 months ago
Wear comfortable shoes! Those concrete floors are killer. Walk through the showroom and take pictures of the items you may be interested in (include the tags that tell you where the pieces are located in the warehouse). Take advantage of the cafe at the mid-point of the store! Sit down, have some grub, then continue on to the market place and pick up your items :)
Damaris F.
Damaris F.
4 years, 6 months ago
First of all, plan to spend some time there. I say walk around first and get familiar with their layout and see what u like. Then go back and start filling that cart!! It also helps to go look at their catalog first so u can see what u like and how the product looks in action
Tabitha S.
Tabitha S.
4 years, 7 months ago
I find IKEA very overwhelming! I usually look online first so I have an idea what I want to purchase or at least what I want to check out in the store. Typically I just head right to the marketplace so I can avoid the showroom/confusion of the maze/arrows all together.
Sherry A.
Sherry A.
Redwood City, CA
4 years, 7 months ago
Follow the arrows!! don't be that person not following the arrows!
Heather W.
Heather W.
4 years, 8 months ago
I always start at the top and work my way down, unless i know the things I need can just be grabbed on the bottom floor