I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings uploaded by Desiree G.

BY MAYA ANGELOU

In the first volume of an extraordinary autobiographical series, one of the most inspiring authors of our time recalls-with candor, humor, poignancy and grace-how her journey began. "From the Trade Paperback edition. see more...

• Never read this book, is it worth reading?2 Answers
  • What's this book about? I've heard of it but never gotten...2 Answers
  • Why does the Caged Bird sing? do you know the real reason...2 Answers
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
  • "We read this back in high school, and I didn't really know what to expect...You never know what to expect with English requirements for class." in 8 reviews
  • "I Know Why the Caged Bird sings is an extraordinary book.This is a must read.It's a true story by one of my favorite writers.just a wonderful book." in 6 reviews
  • "It has so many life lessons and I think all kids should read it." in 3 reviews
Ashley M.
Pawleys Island
Decent book. Wasn’t one of my favorites but knowing the oppression people had endured makes this book worthy of being read. Angelou is a great author who writes out of her heart and you can feel her emotions on the pages.
Shelby W.
Portland, OR
Bookworm Expert Level 1
Forced to read it in high school. I think that is the best age to start beginning to comprehend MA's books. There are some mature themes and she writes about things drawing from her life, which makes the book all the more interesting. I think I can appreciate it more now that I am older.
Tasha J.
I was told to read this book and for my daughter to read this book  by my uncle reggie wells because at the time he worked for Oprah Winfrey and he was going to get her a scholarship to go to school and that was one of the requirements she had. I definitely would recommend this book to read to anyone. You have to be open to understand the narrative language that speaks through this book. If you don't understand it read it again. Cause when you do it opens your world to a different meaning and understanding of why the caged bird sings. A excellent read go pick up this book.
Emily A.
Duluth, MN
With beautiful prose and a riveting story, I can't help but feel grateful to Maya for sharing her story through novels such as this. I read this book incredibly quickly because of the story and because of Angelou's style of writing. This story really helps with a focus on womanhood and self love and acceptance. I thank Angelou for this novel, her others, and for the impact that she left on our world
Kenya L.
Clarksville, TN
The title significance of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is, the fact that Maya Angelou herself never had the level of confidence that she thought she would never have. She was more along the lines of indifferent. She was an African American, and she didn’t have much of appearance, so that shut her down completely. She experiences the stage of life where she is quiet, and doesn’t speak of anything. Maya Angelou is the bird. She came from nothing became something in this world, and that is why she is who she is today. The caged bird is referencing Maya Angelou locked up in a world she can’t get out of until she is independent on her own. So basically The Caged Bird Singing is Maya unleashing what she has been holding in all through her childhood, and she is taking it and “singing” through her writing, which is this book. This book would be rated on a scale one to ten, it would be rated a twenty. I really enjoyed the book, because I can relate to some speculations of the book that is private in my eyes. I would recommend this book to anyone, because it’s in many arts of great work. Maya Angelou was blatant, she didn’t sugar coat, and that’s what I really liked the most. Each page felt like I was actually there, it was so captivating. A lot of people think this book is boring, but it really isn’t, it’s story of a older black woman, reflecting back on her life. It’s almost as if she is looking back at her life like “Wow, all that and I finally made it.” It’s very somber like, but it is a good book, and gave me a better outlook on life, and appreciate what I have more!
Sharley M.
This book is a classic. It is approprite for everyone ages 13 and up. I think it had a special effect on my then 14 year old daughter.
It is now required reading in their school, but i had her read it 2 years earlier.
Beautifully written and moving.
Brooke L.
Salinas, CA
I remember hating this book in middle school because we read it so often, but in high school we got more in depth into it. It was a heart breaking book the more we learned her life and how she grew stronger. Very much recommended to an older audience.
Marissa D.
Roanoke, VA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
Maya Angelou was one of the most prolific and talented poets of our time and "I know why the caged bird sings" definitely demonstrates why. Such an eloquent and moving piece that I feel resonates with so many people in today's society. Her works are inspiring, uplifting, empowering, & full of heart. A definite must read!!!
Brooke G.
Union Grove
Bookworm Expert Level 2
I read this all on my own in 7th grade because I saw the cover, read the title, and my interest was lit up. It’s a look into Maya’s childhood and teens, growing up hard to become one of the worlds most renowned poetry artists. At the end, you know why the caged bird sings and there are more books in the series that are equally good.
Myranda E.
Such an inspiring author in so many ways, Maya Angelou does not disappoint in this classic must read for all. Even if you read this in high school I would suggest rereading again. It's well worth the time
Mariana D.
Is this book really good or is it all hype?
Laura P.
Pontiac, IL
If you have read this what did you think of it?
Jaspreet D.
I've heard so many great things about this book! We never got the chance to read it in high school but I know a lot of schools did. Is it considered a classic? Is it worth the read?
Katie H.
Southside, AL
Is it worth the read?
Delia S.
Gas, KS
Such an inspirational woman. Rest in Peace. I seen a review that said something good for Kids.. surely for all ages. Is it a quote book? Thanks.