What is the main difference between H&R Block and TurboTax? [product:turbotax] H&R Block
When does tax preparer classes start?
Did es anyone know if they have coupons this year
Start your review of H&R Block!
How would you rate this product?
Fairfax
I paid for a Pro to review my taxes and she ended up with a return that was almost $1,000 less than when I entered on my end with all my tax information. When I reached out to her to understand where the discrepancy was she ignored me for 15 days, 15 days of me reaching out to her multiple times through messenger so we can get it resolved and I can file my taxes. I eventually contacted costumer services and they said they would reach out to her, she still didn't so I called again. This time they told me they would just reassign me to a different account, they reassigned me back to the same account. I called once again and they said they would fix it, two weeks later still nothing. I have spent in total over 5 hours reaching out and telling my case over and over again to each new rep since I guess they don't always feel like writing notes in files, I constantly get transferred from dept to dept. Don't even bother asking for a supervisor, one rep told me "do you know that there COVID right not, we don't have managers since we are working from home, so you can't speak to one", I asked for her name and she hung up on me. I called back and spoke with another rep and she said she would transfer me and then she hung up as well. I think they are just pushing pencils to get paid for "working" hours but they don't care about customers and will not help you resolve problems that are actually faults on their end. I would know, it's been 28 days and I'm still getting the, "we'll have someone call you".
Hampstead, MD
So I’ve been an HR Block customer for years and I’m wicked happy with the way they’ve always done my taxes IN STORE or in person. However... the past 2 years, I’ve used their online option instead of actually going in to the store to have someone do my taxes for me there. And I haven’t been as happy with the online option. It’s wicked easy and seems to be very streamlined/user-friendly, but they sort of use a lot of shiesty tactics to get you to use it. First... they tell you it’s FREE to do your taxes with them online. So they reel you in that way. Then, once they have you (hook, line, & sinker!), they will start basically forcing you to spend money which then makes it SO NOT FREE. I’ll give you an example, so I obviously chose to do them online for the convenience of it. And when I saw free, I thought it would be a win-win, right? Free AND convenient! Who doesn’t want that? But then I realized that in order to get the true convenience of it all and have them deposit the refund into my bank account, they make me pay them to ELECTRONICALLY send me MY OWN MONEY. That’s just one example, but there were many other things that they basically tried to get me to pay for that I eventually realized I would HAVE TO pay for if I wanted to do my taxes right. Overall, it was still very convenient. And the in-store sessions I did for about 4 years before I started using their online option were always great. The staff were always super helpful and knowledgeable, and I never left unhappy. I guess I just wouldn’t recommend the online option, that’s all.
San Diego, CA
I’ve never had a great experience when I’ve gotten my taxes done by H&R Block. The first time I used them was 2003 and when everything was done, it cost me $200 and they told me I owed money for State taxes. What in the world?! I went the year after that and ended up owing both Federal and State. How?! I stayed away for many years and I decided to give them another chance in 2016. Huge mistake. I ended up owing so much money it stressed me out. When I have gotten other companies to do my taxes, I’ve always gotten a refund. One tax preparer even saw my previous years tax filing done by H&R and didn’t agree with some of the stuff they did. I file Single and claim 0!!! I definitely don’t make tons of money either so how the heck do they always finish with me owing a bunch of money to the government? The last 2 years I’ve filed taxes on my own through Credit Karma, for FREE by the way, and have also gotten a refund. It seems like H&R Block gets really busy and people there tend to move clients in and out as fast as they can which results in errors. Take an extra couple of minutes to ensure you are doing things correctly, moving fast causes errors, and stop charging people so damn much. Especially when people who work there can’t even do things right. If people are paying hundreds of dollars for you to help them file their taxes, take the time to truly do a good job. Makes me think they get kick backs from the government every time they tell a client “Surprise! You owe $800 in state tax and $2200 in Federal even though you are single, claim 0, and own a house”. I’m sure that’s not true but geez how come this happens to so many people when they go here?! Anywhere else they get refunds!
Souderton, PA
I usually have a great and easy experience filing with HRBlock, but this year was an absolute mess. Filing both federal and state taxes has always been free for me to file with them, but this year I have an HSA account. So they required me to pay $35 to upgrade to Deluxe. Fine, whatever. But then after that, they tried to charge me another $40 just for state taxes. I spoke with a representative who basically said I'm Deluxe so I cant file state as Basic (the free one) but couldnt explain to me why I have to pay twice for Deluxe. He said that state was included in the deluxe package (which I paid for) and wouldn't tell me why I then have to pay AGAIN for what is included in the thing I already bought. I ended up only filing federal with them and went elsewhere to complete the state taxes (and got a better return there). I will not be filing with HRBlock ever again, so disappointed in them this year.
What a horrible experience. Not only did they harass me with false information through texts, calls and emails they also tried claiming clients wouldn't receive stimulus checks if they didn't file by April 15th. Which is false. When I went to pick up my personal paperwork, the font desk person, Beth, hassled me about my respirator. I’m ill and she demanded me to take off my mask during COVID 19 so she could compare my ID to my face. Beth chuckled at me as if my health issues were invalid and began arguing with me about my mask. Governor Wolf issued all current essential businesses in operation are required to wear masks and gloves, this facilities workers were not wearing either. While I was in my car writing this review, Beth came out to my vehicle and started hitting my window with rings on her fingers, demanding my personal tax papers. I have until July 15th to pay my taxes and emails from their office stating that but Beth demanded payment for services I didn't agree to. On top of her aggressive behavior, the office also refused to supply a break down of what their charges were for taxes. This office is completely unsympathetic to their clients, unprofessional and incredibly rude. I’ve been to other H & R Blocks that charged half the amount for the same work and without the behavior. This place is a scam and has terrible service.
Valparaiso, IN
The “free” claim for your hard earned money quicker that is loaded onto a card isn’t free. The lady claimed it had no impact on credit or decisions based on it, only your previous year return is a load of bogus. The year previous we had filled online ourselves through another company backing against auditing, with zero problems. The year after, with no changes in our work/family or any criteria affecting our return, we received a substantially less amount (in the thousands) than filling ourselves. H&R Block is a hoax, to make money off your hard earned money. Keep your stubs, whatever you may need and save yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself or through a personal tax person, these large business care nothing more than to line their pockets while claiming to help those that may need the money.
N Richlnd Hls, TX
They suck! They fill in the blanks, submit, & charge..literally in that order. They ask any questions or suggest advice, so how can they claim to try to get us the biggest refund????? Than charges over $200 for a simple W2 form claim, if its more than your W2 it would cost more. I met an accountant , asked questions & chose her. She than asked questions, can't remember them, but its list of things we can claim! Like do I have any hospital bills and HEC yeah I do. I was diagnosed w/several illness under the care of 3 Specialist I had to see every week or 2, and surgeries every 6 months. She told me to bring everything in and also proof of my frequent appointments cause I can the gas mileages for every trip badk and forth!! H&r barley ask how you doing let alone if we have anything we can claim.
Lakeland, FL
I’ve H&R Block two times....and each time I remember why I decided to NOT use them again. While the individuals who had filed for me were nice enough and I’m sure very good at their jobs.... the amount of money the company charged for a simple W2 was insane to me. When I say simple.... I’m talking bare bones... no excess...no complicated deductions... This would be the kind that your five year old could File for you with their eyes closed. This being said that was a couple of years ago the last time I used them. I can’t imagine much has really changed since then, but I could be wrong. But my parents have used them for years and won’t budge on taking theirs eLse where. Would I recommend? Maybe, if you can afford their fees and are not in a pinch and slightly desperate.
The product itself isn't bad. The software does a really good job of walking you through the process step by step, and makes it really easy, the only thing I don't understand is the pricing. There's no transparency in how much you'll end up paying given your personal tax situation until you add more forms in the process. The bad thing is that once you've needed to upgrade to a new product, there's no going back if you didn't need it after all. Also, a lot of tax filing companies are involved in a class-action lawsuit because they should have offered the free product for people at a certain income level. Instead, they suppressed the free product in search results and misdirected consumers to a paid product. That's highly unethical and I've lost trust in them.
Barnstable , MA
If you have no hiccups or are an undiscovered tax expert then I would totally suggest HRBlock for your savvy self. If you’re like the 99.99% of the working class who misses a typo in their middle name or reversed #s in the acct number of your checking account...be ready to put that refund (if you’re owed one) in your will for your 5th generation forward in grandchildren. I had an issue with my filing status. Needless to say, HRBlock was little to no help in direction or aid in order to guide me through the submission or corrections of filing again. I felt that since I’d already paid them and filed, they weren’t obligated to help me do anymore. ****Up to that point though, they were great and their interface/software is very user friendly****
Ask a question to the Influenster community...
New York
il y a un an
Laura T. • il y a 4 mois
TurboTax is great if you don’t have much to fill out. It’s easy to work all online. People who have more resources, more retirements, more paperwork should work with someone in person.