BY HOURGLASS #6 in Face Primer

A mineral-based, water-resistant primer with SPF 15 that neutralizes the skin, minimizes shine, and creates a smooth, uniform canvas for flawless makeup application. This clean, satin-finish formula helps keep makeup looking fresh and prevents fading. Veil Mineral Primer also absorbs excess oils and minimizes the appearance of pores by evenly distributing light to help hide and soften skin imperfections and fine lines.

It is formulated Without:

- Parabens

- Sulfates

- Synthetic Fragrances

- Synthetic Dyes

- Phthalates Veil

Mineral Primer is formulated with naturally derived titanium dioxide and zinc oxide instead of chemical sun-blocking agents. This water-resistant primer is also 100% free of fragrance, oil, and gluten.

• #hourglassprimer @influenster why do the same people get samples n ...2 Answers
  • Is this primer way better in performance then the e.l.f. mineral pr...4 Answers
  • What's your favorite primer/go to primer? Mine is the hourglass vei...3 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
Tiffany M.
Tiffany M.
San Francisco, CA
I have very oily skin, so liquid foundations are often not practical without primer, otherwise they settle into pores and creases. I've tried many primers: multiple Smashbox "flavors" (ha!) Chanel, MUFE, Benefit, Shiseido...you name it--and I still haven't found my Holy Grail.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is in the top tier, though. This is NOT like a slippery gel primer, such as Smashbox--it's a creamy-textured white liquid, which is quite similar to Chanel "Le Blanc de Chanel." It DOES seem to meld with your skin very well. The primer feels more like a lotion than an thick layer of frosting (looking at you, Benefit!), and it noticeably helps makeup "stick" to you better. But the downside to the thinner texture is that it doesn't do anything to fill in pores, scars, fine lines, etc. That's not entirely a bad thing---sometimes you need a lightweight option in situations where it would look weird to show up with a poreless face full of makeup, but you still want to give yourself some "oomph" (e.g. summer festivals, going to the gym, camping....etc)

The other downside is the sky-high price, which is equivalent to Chanel. So is it worth it? It depends. For me, it's not a life-changing product, but it IS a very nice luxury. If you prefer a lightweight primer without the slipperiness of a gel, and you don't have big pores, scars, or flakes, this is probably ideal for you.

(I've attached a photo showing the Hourglass Veil under my Shiseido BB----as you can see, my skin looks glowy and nice, BUT you can still make out all my pores, scars... and flaking around my nose from an aggressive sneezing attack!)
Caitlyn V.
Caitlyn V.
Richmond, VA
This is some of my favorite primer, so this is going to turn into a long review, I already know. A few pieces of information about me, since this could work differently for someone with different skin: I'm 26, I've got mostly dry skin, some redness, and I'm quite fair skinned. Mostly pros for this product, but there a couple cons. First off the texture that this stuff leaves your skin is amazing. So soft! Seriously, it really does wonders smoothing and concealing pores. It does leave a slight tint of purple which is actually a big pro, because you're getting some slight color correction off the bat. Another huge pro is that it has SPF, which nowadays you'd think would be a given but it most definitely isn't. As for cons, I think the price is rough, but you do get a fair amount of product. The second con is that this primer has a definite expiration date. That being said, I'm not someone who uses makeup everyday and I'm about 2/3rds through my bottle, and I've got a couple more months to use it up, so for a person who consistently uses makeup, using this up before its expiration date will be no problem. I love this product and I'd recommend it to anyone of my friends.
Maria V.
Maria V.
Medley, FL
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have oily skin that's been plagued by cystic acne for years. With extensive work and treatments I'm in my 20's and thankfully it's under control now. However, there's a new problem of the scarring that my acne has left. Before this I was using Too Faced Primed and Poreless, which seemed to make my skin oilier at the end of the day. I've just bought a new bottle of this primer and I never plan on looking back. The formula is so lightweight that it seems to glide over my scars and just makes putting on my makeup a breeze. In combination with Urban Decay's All Nighter spray, my makeup has been lasting well into the night with no new breakouts or marks. I highly recommend this to anyone with acne, wrinkles, or scarring. And I know the price is a bit high for primer, but my last bottle of it lasted well over 6 months. All you need is one pump for the entire face.
Chloe H.
Chloe H.
Review for: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15 0.33 oz
I bought this small size because who really has $52 to spend just for a primer. I don't. I got a foil packet sample of this from Sephora and I really liked it. I bought it and the first few times it was really good. After awhile I noticed that once I put it on and rubbed it in my skin there were little white balls forming. At first, I thought it was just some dry skin, but after awhile I realized it was the primer that was balling up. I didn't know why it was doing that because it never happened before. I've come to the conclusion that it's balling up because of my dry skin and the lotion I use. I think in the summer time when I'm oily skinned it would work better. Other than the balling up of the primer, it's really good. It makes my makeup last all day, doesn't make my makeup move around, and I think it helps control my oils just a tad.
Yaneisi I.
Yaneisi I.
Fort Myers, FL
Review for: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15 1 oz
The application was very nice (makes your face glow a bit! Its like a slight purple iridescence) and my BB/CC cream glides over it very nice. My face makeup looks flawless initially. I was very impressed. I apply my makeup between 5:30-6:00 am. However, by noon, I already noted some shininess on my forehead and nose and by the end of the day my face is completely oily in my T-Zone and chin area. I also attempted to use a setting spay (Urban Decay all nighter and deslick) and it minimally assisted in oil control. I am very busy at work and don't have time to blot my face. I don't see myself purchasing this primer again due to oil still peeking through it after a few hours. I did not expect this with a $50+ primer. Buy the travel size before committing to the full size and it's hefty price.
Brianna Z.
Brianna Z.
W Springfield, MA
Beauty Junkie Expert
I tried a smaller size from Sephora before I ran out to get a bigger one. I bought it on the recommendation of someone who had very sensitive with severe acne.
Skin: sensitive combination acne prone skin; none to mild acne.
Climate: We the North

It's true it doesn't cover all your imperfections but it doesn't sink into them either. It wears wonderfully under liquid and (non mineral) powder foundation really well. It's okay with heavier creamier foundation. It does exacerbate dry spots.
It does leave a very white cast on my Deep South Asian skin but is neglible under make up.
Great purchase for acne-prone sensitive skin. It goes on smooth even over acne. (The zinc might actually be helping my acne). But not so great for the wallet.
Definitely 2nd Of my fav top 3 primers.
Jen S.
Jen S.
Austin, TX
I love this primer because it feels luxurious to apply. I would probably wear this without any makeup if it was less expensive. It's superior to most typical silicone primers because it doesn't make your face feel slick. It leaves it feeling smooth, but not slimy. It has sort of a whipped texture, hard to describe. On dry days, I need more moisture than this primer provides, but I find it's a great primer for normal days. I switch to a mattifying primer on humid days. I do use a pore filler on my trouble spots in addition to this primer. I haven't done a time test to see how long it holds my makeup in place, but I think it's somewhere around 8-12 hours.
Laurie B.
Laurie B.
Chapel Hill, NC
Review for: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Oil-Free Broad Spectrum SPF 15, .16 oz / 5 ml (deluxe travel size)
This is expensive but ultimately worth it if you can get over the sticker shock. It applies evenly and easily and blends and feels really nice going on. I have super sensitive skin and was able to use this without any irritation or reaction. Also, because the SPF is derived from a physical sunscreen (rather than chemical,) it spreads easily and you only really need about a dime sized amount for sufficient coverage of your face, maybe a little more for your neck too. You should still use another sunscreen, however, as 15 SPF is pretty low. 25 is better. When I ran out I tried something new because it was so expensive, but I kind of miss it!
Amanda F.
Amanda F.
Review for: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15 1 oz
I was so disappointed in this primer. :(

I have super dry skin and typically use hydrating primers. I was excited to try this one because of awesome reviews and generally just being a fan of hourglass cosmetics.

It felt great going on - smooth, absorbed easily and I was thinking it was going to be great. My makeup looked great right after applying it, but about 30 minutes later, started breaking up all over my face and looking really, really bad.

I tried it with three different high-end foundations and had the same results with all of them (Nars, Marc Jacobs and Tarte Rainforest).

I was really glad I had only purchased the smallest size!!
Abby S.
Abby S.
Nashville, TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
I decided to get a sample of this after seeing a rave review of it on a blog that I follow. I love it! The first time I used it it did make my moisturizer ball up on me but I tried it again the next day after letting my moisturizer soak in for a little longer and it was great! It feels strange going on, not bad, just really different than any primer I've used before. It can't be worn by itself because it does have a bit of a white cast. This primer keeps me from getting oily and my makeup still looks fresh at the end of the day. I currently use the Laura Mercier Hydrating primer but will be switching to this product when I run out!
Susie C.
Susie C.
Chelsea, AL
Been wanting to try this product but wondering if it's really worth the price?
Ana H.
Ana H.
Litchfield Park, AZ
Is this primer good for combination skin? My skin gets oily sometimes and most primers just slip right off along with the makeup or they just feel to heavy and nasty. If not is there any good primers that wont slip off my face?
Bevin H.
Bevin H.
Will this help moisturize as well?
Samantha P.
Samantha P.
Is this worth the hefty price tag?
Neveen I.
Neveen I.
Grand Island, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
Why does it have a blue tint to it?