Hotwire uploaded by C G.

• I recently used Hotwire to rent a car last minute and got a great...5 Answers
  • I've never used this. What about this cite would you recommend wi...3 Answers
  • I've never booked through Hotwire, how does it compare to others 2 Answers
Hotwire
  • "I like that it has so many options to choose from and compares prices.There are always great deals for pretty much where ever you want to travel." in 15 reviews
  • "They sometimes have really good deals, but I've noticed there usually in country flights and to popular cities and if there bundled with a hotel." in 10 reviews
  • "I've never booked through Hotwire, I just use it to compare prices and I haven't seen a cheaper price for a hotel on there." in 10 reviews
  • "Mobile site is not very user friendly, but overall its a good site when comparing prices (hotels, flights, etc) this is a reliable page and Ive purchased here before and it was a successful transaction!" in 9 reviews
  • "The site is very user friendly, always has great prices but I still struggle with not knowing where I am staying until I've paid, its a risk I am not willing to take." in 6 reviews
Cali S.
Ridgewood, NY
I recently took a trip to La and booked a rental car service that was five minutes from the airport through Hotwire. It was called Dollae Rental. The Hotwire app made it so easy and quick to find just what I needed for super cheap. I would totally use Hotwire again, and again!!!
Erica C.
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Hotwire is the best!! I use it every time I book a trip (which is multiple times per year) and I have the best luck! The hotel options are the best, especially the hot rate deals. I have recommended this site before and I encourage everyone to take a look.
I booked my hotel and had a conformation for a hotel near the phoenix airport with an airport shuttle, with the airport shuttle being the most important feature of the hotel to me, because my car rental did not start till the following morning.  I later received a call from hotwire stating that my hotel was overbooked and that my reservation was cancelled.  I was then presented with two options.  The first was that I could get a refund, or my second option was that I could have hotwire book a new hotel for me.  I chose to have hotwire book a new hotel for me because I was driving to the airport, so I couldn't do it myself, and still needed a hotel when I got to Phoenix. I explained to the Hotwire customer service agent that I needed a hotel with an airport shuttle because my car rental was not scheduled till the next morning.  She then asked me if the Four Points Sheraton at 6850 E. Williams Rd.  in Mesa would be ok, to which I responded, "As long as they have an Airport shuttle, and can pick me up."  She then indicated that they did, and proceeded to book my room.  I am not familiar at all with Phoenix, and I didn't have any access to the internet while driving, so telling me the address of a hotel has no meaning to me.  My only concern was that the hotel could pick me up at the airport. Much to my surprise, after picking up my luggage and calling the hotel, they informed me that they were located in an entirely different area, and serviced an entirely different airport.  I then called hotwire to have this situation  resolved.  After waiting on the phone for 30-40 minutes while the hotwire representative pleaded unsuccessfully  with the hotel to pick me up, I was told that I needed to catch a taxi to the hotel and back the next morning (a 30 minute drive each way), and that it would  be refunded by hotwire.  I asked why I could not simply be changed to a new hotel, and was given the excuse that it was already the next day, and if my hotel was changed, I would not be able to check in till 3 p.m. the next day. This however did not really make sense, because it was still before midnight in phoenix at the time. I was instructed by hotwire to submit my taxi receipt by email, and I would be refunded in 7-10 days. Instead of being refunded however, hotwire changed their tune and emailed me back saying they would not be able to provide any compensation.
Phon W.
Olathe, KS
I like Hotwire, if you can handle the saying, "you get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!" It's a website, where they give you the amt. of stars a hotel is and you get a room for a way lower rate, and you don't know where you're staying until you pay. I've gotten great hotels at around $100/night. That being said, usually the rooms are smaller, you can't upgrade, if the rates changes you can't get your money back. But the cool thing also is, if you're last min. You can get a great room downtown or by an airport for way cheaper than what you would pay walking up to the counter.
Elli W.
Nashville, TN
To be honest, I haven't yet had such a problem with Hotwire that I would have to call and complain to customer service. It sounds, based on other reviews, that that wouldn't be fun at all.

I do, however, use Hotwire on any trip I go on. I have the mentality of 'why would I pay full price for something if I don't have to?' Hotwire helps me out tremendously there... if I can pay $80 for a $300 a night room, why wouldn't I? My boyfriend and I always sit down with Hotwire before we book a trip so we can save money for the things we would rather spend money on. It's easy, especially if you are flexible with your traveling, and don't have your heart set on ONE hotel, since Hotwire books you a random hotel in an area you select.
Genia H.
Detroit, MI
This company seems to have all there is to offer, it makes life simple for you, it's incredibly convenient, it saves you money and these things are all true...However I tend to be a consumer that values morals and ethics and this company's business ethics are lacking greatly. I had a conference to attend and booked a hotel through this site. Got my conformation arrived to my hotel, got the keys from the front desk, proceeded to the room, walked in to find a dirty room, it was obvious house keeping had not cleaned this room after the previous tenant. So... I walked back down slightly irritated to receive a new, suitable room. To my surprise this was the only room available at this location. I signed a paper that declined the room in its current condition was assured by the front desk attendant that the contract with Hotwire would be terminated for lack of proper accommodations on the hotel's end, found a new hotel and went on my way. A month went by I got my credit card bill and noticed a charge from Hotwire for the exact amount that I was assured would not be charged. I called Hotwire to see why I was charged for an accommodation I did not receive and they said all sales were final, I could not be reimbursed. i explained to him the situation and he told me there wasn't anything could do. My exact words to him (after a long period of back and forth and trying to explain) were "essentially you are stealing money from me because our contract was that you provide a service that I pay for but you did not provide this service and you are still taking my money". His response was " I guess if that's how you want to look at it". And it was at this point that I decided to never use this company EVER again. No matter how convenient or how much money I could save. So this whole ordeal ended with me getting the signed paper from the hotel that declined the room because of its unclean conditions, sending it to my credit card company and having them decline the authorization for Hotwire to charge the card. No thanks Hotwire I don't do business with theives
Debra P.
Globetrotter Expert Level 4
Hotwire offers a great place to score lower rates on hotel rooms where I'm flexible as to my accommodations. I've generally been pleased with the rooms and locations I've gotten, in part because I do a lot of research before I look at Hotwire so I know the areas I'll be comfortable staying in and the discount rate from among several such sites. I've also found Hotwire a good place to lock in lower rental car rates, particularly when a bidding site rejects my bids. I've never had any problems with using Hotwire to do so, although it might be worth noting I travel mostly in larger, more competitive domestic markets. I've not used Hotwire for flights in many years, so I can't speak to that. Three points worth reinforcing an educated consumer is less likely to be disappointed or unpleasantly surprised. One, do your research about your area, available options for travel, and the prices on similar sites as well as the company's own site. . Doing so takes time but it's well worth it. Two, be sure to familiarize yourself with Hotwire before you commit to anything and in advance of needing to book *right now.* Be sure to read the fine print to know what extra fees may be involved or any restrictions. Three, know that Hotwire offers you a viable way to save money, but manage your expectations. For instance, Hotwire tends to inflate its hotel star ratings. (As do other sites.) Or it's not uncommon for a heavily discounted room to be at a hotel undergoing renovations. I've been quite happy with the money I've saved by using Hotwire, and will use them again.
elise C.
Saint Paul, MN
I have a love-hate relationship with Hotwire.

The fact that I use it nearly exclusively for personal hotel-bookings means that the love must still narrowly win out.

Hates first: customer service is outsourced and condescending even to its most loyal customers. I have probably spent around $10,000 on Hotwire in the past 4 years. I've called customer service about 4 times with varying questions/requests. It is always a pain and ridiculous wait. Customers are treated like adversaries. They have made some limited accommodations for me (two rebooks for much more expensive options) but they are unwilling to entertain any objections to the hotel rating. I thought that this was part of the guarantee. I have showed up to find the hotel wholly unacceptable and advertised in an exceedingly misleading fashion, and it was extremely disappointing to be told nothing could be done. This was relayed after being on hold for 50 minutes on a long-distance call from the offending-hotel.

Loves: Crazy deals on 4 and 5 star hotels. I have stayed at some of the World's best resorts and luxury hotels for prices one would expect at a Holiday Inn. This is why the gamble is addictive. For every sad encounter of walking into a shabby and dirty Parisian closet billed as 4.5-star there is the experience of sharing a celebrity-studded hotel where the free amenities probably tab up to a value near half what you paid.

As an attorney, there are somethings Hotwire does with it advertisement of hotels during the booking process that makes me think there is a truth-in-advertising class action or other state consumer protection claim waiting to happen. Though I'm angry at the periodic gross misrepresentation, I would hate any corrective action that could compromise the availability of one of my favorite websites, love and hate aside.
Heather A.
Georgetown, KY
I have only booked through the hot wire once but my experience was good. The hotel they picked out was nice, the pricing was cheaper then the other site's at least when I was looking around. They only thing I wish they did was gave you the option to pay then or when you got to the hotel. Other then that I had a great out come and will more then likely be booking through them again.
Lacey B.
Edmond, OK
I've never experienced an issue with Hotwire. They always provide detailed and informative information upfront before you book anything. The website is easy to navigate and their customer service is very helpful. Would recommend to anyone looking to book for travel related things.
Rachael W.
Titusville, FL
Globetrotter Expert Level 4
Anyone else found better deals more than once NOT on Hotwire?
Charnae R.
Greeley, CO
When is the best time to book?
Kristi  E.
Somerset, KY
Are the prices on Hotwire better than Expedia?
Nicolette B.
Russell Spgs, KY
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
Can you buy full vacation packages on Hotwire.com?
Charnae R.
Greeley, CO
What city have you found the best deal to?