Hotwire uploaded by C G.

• I recently used Hotwire to rent a car last minute and got a great...5 Answers
  • I've never used this. What about this cite would you recommend wi...3 Answers
  • I've never booked through Hotwire, how does it compare to others 2 Answers
Hotwire
  • "I like that it has so many options to choose from and compares prices.There are always great deals for pretty much where ever you want to travel." in 15 reviews
  • "They sometimes have really good deals, but I've noticed there usually in country flights and to popular cities and if there bundled with a hotel." in 10 reviews
  • "I've never booked through Hotwire, I just use it to compare prices and I haven't seen a cheaper price for a hotel on there." in 10 reviews
  • "Mobile site is not very user friendly, but overall its a good site when comparing prices (hotels, flights, etc) this is a reliable page and Ive purchased here before and it was a successful transaction!" in 9 reviews
  • "Offers some of the cheapest values, but be sure to cross check many websites to make sure that you're getting the right price." in 6 reviews
elise C.
Saint Paul, MN
I have a love-hate relationship with Hotwire.

The fact that I use it nearly exclusively for personal hotel-bookings means that the love must still narrowly win out.

Hates first: customer service is outsourced and condescending even to its most loyal customers. I have probably spent around $10,000 on Hotwire in the past 4 years. I've called customer service about 4 times with varying questions/requests. It is always a pain and ridiculous wait. Customers are treated like adversaries. They have made some limited accommodations for me (two rebooks for much more expensive options) but they are unwilling to entertain any objections to the hotel rating. I thought that this was part of the guarantee. I have showed up to find the hotel wholly unacceptable and advertised in an exceedingly misleading fashion, and it was extremely disappointing to be told nothing could be done. This was relayed after being on hold for 50 minutes on a long-distance call from the offending-hotel.

Loves: Crazy deals on 4 and 5 star hotels. I have stayed at some of the World's best resorts and luxury hotels for prices one would expect at a Holiday Inn. This is why the gamble is addictive. For every sad encounter of walking into a shabby and dirty Parisian closet billed as 4.5-star there is the experience of sharing a celebrity-studded hotel where the free amenities probably tab up to a value near half what you paid.

As an attorney, there are somethings Hotwire does with it advertisement of hotels during the booking process that makes me think there is a truth-in-advertising class action or other state consumer protection claim waiting to happen. Though I'm angry at the periodic gross misrepresentation, I would hate any corrective action that could compromise the availability of one of my favorite websites, love and hate aside.
Elli W.
Nashville, TN
To be honest, I haven't yet had such a problem with Hotwire that I would have to call and complain to customer service. It sounds, based on other reviews, that that wouldn't be fun at all.

I do, however, use Hotwire on any trip I go on. I have the mentality of 'why would I pay full price for something if I don't have to?' Hotwire helps me out tremendously there... if I can pay $80 for a $300 a night room, why wouldn't I? My boyfriend and I always sit down with Hotwire before we book a trip so we can save money for the things we would rather spend money on. It's easy, especially if you are flexible with your traveling, and don't have your heart set on ONE hotel, since Hotwire books you a random hotel in an area you select.
Chris C.
San Diego, CA
I really enjoy hotwire. I use it for hotels and always for rental cars. I highly recommend checking for rental cars - I always get a much lower rate than any other booking option or direct booking, and I've found with rental cars I don't care as much about specific company. As for hotels, I always do a lot of research to see what hotels are at what star rating, price, and location. I've had good luck with getting a great hotel room at a discounted price - especially in vegas! It is a bit of a gamble though, as you don't know what hotel/rental compnay until you're booked, but I've never been disappointed.
Ada S.
Moses Lake, WA
I have been pleasantly surprised by Hotwire. Like with any other call centers, sometimes there is a call wait but it has gotten better lately. We usually make reservations over the phone rather than via internet. Calls can get rather long with all the disclosures but it's not that bad. We have booked rooms in road trips across state and in Canada. The rooms we get are usually clean, smell good and comfortable. It would be nice to have some kind of rewards program because we use it so often.
Christa B.
Mahomet, IL
Great for booking flights but don't add on car rentals from some of the options provided through hotwire. I spent 4 hours at the San Diego airport waiting for husband to sort out our car rental. even with receipts and proper id they didn't want to help us. Even though our car was already paid for through hotwire for a week and we provided all the proper paperwork, we were given a different car and had to pay an extra $500 on top of wasting an entire days worth of vacation.
Kristen D.
Newburgh, NY
Had to cancel a hotel and flight trip for which their trip insurance was purchased. Was kept on the phone over 3 hours. Three different agents had 3 versions of what would be refunded. In the end no refund was issued for flight. Was told a credit would be issued and had to be used within a year, and only through Hotwire. The agent "Ky from Corporate" would not provide a written confirmation of the cancellation or the credit. Only issued a verbal provided case number.
Erica G.
Corp Christi, TX
I have gotten some good hotel deals on Hotwire. There have been significant discounts off the original price, so that is always helpful. I find it to be semi-competitive with other discount sites. Sometimes it is the same as what I see on other sites. Part of my interest is that I can also utilize ebates with this site. It is always nice to get money back.
Stephanie S.
I have personal issues with the use of this website, and anxiety about booking something sight unseen.

But - I also had a boss once who was pinching pennies and demanded I use this website to get better prices for hotels. Despite the fact that he was incredibly upset and let down with the quality/price that he got vs what he expected.
Ashlyn W.
Thomasville, GA

Mobile site is not very user friendly, but overall its a good site when comparing prices (hotels, flights, etc) this is a reliable page and Ive purchased here before and it was a successful transaction! Offers some of the cheapest values, but be sure to cross check many websites to make sure that you're getting the right price.
Marlena S.
Just another basic travel deal site that doesn't really offer you anything different from Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. If you opened all these deal sites at once and compared your trip on all of them you'll see neither is offering any better deal than the other, it's just a matter of which site you feel comfortable using.
Rachael W.
Titusville, FL
Globetrotter Expert
Anyone else found better deals more than once NOT on Hotwire?
Charnae R.
Greeley, CO
When is the best time to book?
Kristi  E.
Somerset, KY
Are the prices on Hotwire better than Expedia?
Nicolette B.
Russell Spgs, KY
Globetrotter Expert
Can you buy full vacation packages on Hotwire.com?
Charnae R.
Greeley, CO
What city have you found the best deal to?