BY HOLLAND AMERICA LINE #7 in Cruise Lines

Holland America Line
  • "Four hour dinner in the dining room when there was a total of MAYBE thirty people in the entire room?" in 1 review
  • "The dinning halls were beautiful but the staff was very unorganized, forgetting to come the table and ask if we needed anything else, and If you wanted to have a second helping of the entree you ordered, they said we (the guest) couldn't have seconds, that's the first time I've ever been n a cruise and was told no, no seconds are allowed." in 1 review
  • "If I were to go on a non-charter cruise I would definitely go on HAL." in 1 review
  • "Their ships are very nice and the staff is very professional." in 1 review
  • "I think it's one of the most relaxing cruise lines, but not a good choice for someone who wants to drink and party the whole time. " in 1 review
Sarah S.
Silver Lake, OH
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
I typically cruise on NCL, but I do go on HAL from time to time if their cruise schedule and ports work better with the time that I can get off of work to go on vacation. The service on HAL is fantastic. Their crew members are all super nice, but personally I find the level of service to be a bit overbearing at times. The food is great for most people, but if you are vegan or have any special dietary needs, you will be surviving off of a fairly short menu for the week in the main dining room, which will get very repetitive as time goes on. The ships themselves are classy and I like how they are all fairly manageable in terms of size. Expect to not have tons of entertainment options at night though as many of the cruisers are older and they tend to go to bed early. Because of these older cruisers, HAL does well with being accommodating for handicapped passengers.
Ashley C.
29229
The food and service on Holland were great! We took a Thanksgiving cruise and were by far among the youngest on the ship (I was 29 at the time). The majority of passengers were well into their 70’s. There were not a lot of activities to do, but the in room movies were great! It was a very relaxing vacation. When we first got off the ship we were not planning on re-booking, however we found a great deal on the newest ship and decided to give it another try. Excited to sail again!!
Melissa H.
Newport
I went on a Holland Cruise, for my honeymoon. It is a nice ship, and service is wonderful. The food is great the entertainment is great, but my first cruise line was Royal Caribbean. And Holland though it is wonderful, it doesn't live up to my expectations. Royal Caribbean exceeds Holland in the details. But if this is your first cruise, you will definitely be wowed.
Annalisa T.
I've done a few cruises with Holland America and have never had any issues. There is a lot to do on the ship, great shows, delicious food and the staff is always super helpful. I've been on other cruise ships and never had a good experience. After my first cruise on Holland, we never used another cruise line. They definitely exceeded our expectations.
Ashley T.
Leesburg, FL
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
We traveled on Holland cruise lines last summer on a European tour. It was a great experience! The customer service was wonderful. The spa had amazing packages, and a salt water therapy pool was out of this world! The food was fantastic! I have nothing bad to say really.
Hana C.
Shirley, MA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I’ve used holland a few times when traveling, and they’re pretty good. The crew is super friendly and knowledgeable of the places we travel, and they’re okay with accommodations for handicap rooms. The location of handicap rooms isn’t the greatest, but there is something special about swimming outdoors as you cruise past glaciers.
Stefanie H.
Vineland, NJ
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Cruises Holland America one time. Definitely an older crowd and overall quieter cruise. Food was great, staff also. The ship was beautiful and kept very clean. We have not returned to Holland America only because we fell in love with the BIG BIG ships on Royal Caribbean and feel like the overall clientele are more our speed.
Kelley A.
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
We took a cruise from Montreal to Boston for 7 days and had a great time. That said, when we boarded, the crew didn't seem that friendly and they seemed very stressed out. 2 days our toilet stopped flushing and we had to run to a public restroom on the next floor. We also lost power one morning. Luckily we were in port so we just left for the day. That was fixed eventually and we had no more trouble. The food was excellent in the dining room and in the buffet. The crew warmed up and we had a great time. Even with all the inconveniences, I would count this past summer as one of my best vacations in a long time.
Anna H.
Aliso Viejo, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
We had a great time on our Caribbean cruise but apparently this cruise line is for seniors. Maybe it was time of year but about 80% of people on this cruise were over 60. Felt a little odd when we boarded but it just meant that the pace of everything was slower and not many kids running around.
Samantha J.
Virginia Bch, VA
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
Went on my honeymoon on a Holland American Cruise. It was a 12 night Caribbean cruise, absolutely wonderful! My husband and I were one of the youngest couples by far but it was nice because there weren’t a ton of kids running around and the pool was never crowded. Best vacation I’ve ever had!
Sharima W.
Roosevelt, NY
Are they affordable?
Becky J.
Where do these travel?
Allyson M.
Lorton, VA
How does HAL compare to Celebrity and NCL?
Courtney P.
Globetrotter Expert Level 3
What are the pros and cons? What sold or didn't sell you?
yolanda l.
San Fernando, CA
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I have never been on this cruise line before I have sailed 4 other cruise lines ??? Do you recommend them and what's great and what did you not like? also is it kid friendly? ???