BY HIDING IN SUNSHINE

Living lives of quiet affluence in a historic, suburban Boston town, Gavin and Lisa Brinkley had no idea how quickly and decisively their lives, and those of their two young daughters, could be upended. A series of events - a mysterious break-in at their home, some menacing tailgating on the highway from Boston, a startling visit from an F.B.I. agent warning of an imminent kidnapping attempt - leads to the family's abrupt uprooting from its comfortable existence into a terrifying new existence on the run, under new identities. This taut thriller by a father-daughter team follows the eleven-year odyssey of an American family on the run, in hiding through the mountain states of the American west, where survival skills and living off the grid are paramount, but so are friendship, cooperation, and resilience. The enemy, always lurking just out of sight, is a foreign cyber-criminal enterprise that launches breathtaking assaults on the American banking system and physical infrastructure, but the Brinkleys also know that the threat is deeply personal, reaching ever closer to them from the shadows of the past. At the same time, Gavin and Lisa discover the perils of wandering too close to the edges of the dark side, in the murky world of cyber-security. A compelling story of suspense and treachery, HIDING IN SUNSHINE is also a celebration of a family's abiding love and courage -- and a young girl's faith in the triumph of the truth. see more...

Hiding in Sunshine by John Stuart & Caitlin Stuart
  • "I really enjoyed this book..as others have said, it started off a bit slow, but really picked up and I found could not put it down!" in 7 reviews
  • "I will say that the book started out a little slow, but once it takes off, hold on tight, because I couldn’t put it down!" in 7 reviews
  • "The suspense was there, I just wish it had been a little more well written in the beginning so that people wouldn’t have lost interest." in 5 reviews
Amy B.
Yreka, CA
I am very happy I received this book as part of my Holiday VoxBox from Influenster. I really enjoyed this book. Hiding In Sunshine was written by a father and daughter. What a wonderful concept to have a father and daughter collaborate together to create a thrilling book that makes you open your eyes to the world around you.

The story centers around a husband and wife, Gavin and Lisa Brinkley, and their two incredible daughters. Gavin is a high-tech inventor and Lisa used to work in the banking field. Right away you get a sense that Gavin and Lisa are accomplished, highly intelligent, likeable people, and their first daughter, Rebecca (later known as Caitlin), is following in their footsteps.

In the beginning the book is a bit slow because the authors are developing the background information necessary to make the story complete. The real action does not get started until Chapter 6, page 46, when the story takes off like a rocket! There is intrigue from the moment the family runs to the moment they are finally able to stop running.

This book makes you ponder the question, "Is my identity secure?" You begin to create what-if scenarios that can be very scary. I have a whole new appreciation for security/privacy! I hope what happened in the book never happens in real life!

A portion of the ending strayed a bit from Gavin and Lisa and came about quickly. You really did not get a sense of what Gavin did to help catch the bad guy until the very last chapter. The twists and turns of the story make you smile and root for the good guys!!

There is a bit of "info dumping" throughout the book (as BlueInk reviews puts it), but without the information, the story would not make sense and would seem too far-fetched. The information is necessary to get a full understanding of what is occuring and why.

I just wonder if John and Cindy (aka Gavin and Lisa) ever kept in touch with Bruce and Maloney....hmmm
Ana C.
I found this a little slow in the beginning with (almost) too many details; but I enjoyed getting to know the family. When everything is turned upside down it was very intriguing to read about how well they all dealt with their new identities. I did find that it was slow in the middle with lots and lots of details, and came to a very quick conclusion that was a little to easily wrapped up with explanations in the end.
Dawn B.
Goodyear, AZ
Hiding in Sunshine by John and Caitlin Stuart is an excellent and thoroughly engaging read! I received the book complimentary from Influenster (www.influenster.com) as an additional gift beyond the products that I received in the Holiday 2012 Vox Box. I found the book captivated my attention immediately. The authors do an excellent job developing the characters so that they appear authentic. I also enjoyed the juxtaposition of their former life in California and Connecticut to the setting of rural Montana. The details that the authors use to describe the characters and the setting allow you to fully immerse yourself in the plot. Additionally, they have done a commendable job researching to describe genuine potential situations that we could face in America today. The commentary on cyber warfare, stolen identities, and the possibility of sophisticated criminals terrorizing the current and future fiscal environment was poignant and draws attention to a valid area of concern for every global citizen in contemporary society. The author’s successfully weaved a story that was suspenseful and relevant. The only element that I felt could be refined somewhat is that the foreshadowing made the plot twist a bit too obvious for me. However, as a reader you are looking for the resolution and closure in the story and you are committed to the characters in a way that requires you to read until the end. Overall, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to others!
Amanda W.
Livonia, MI
I received this book from Influenster as part of their voxbox. If I had been in the bookstore the cover wouldn’t have drawn me in and I would have probably looked right over it. Being an avid reader though, I gave it a go! By reading the synopsis I was intrigued to see what this father/ daughter duo would write, especially since it is hailed as being a suspense novel.

The first few chapters are pretty slow given that the authors try to paint a vivid portrait of the main characters and their lives. They spend so much time on it that it is almost painfully slow. It would have been nice to include some of the details later throughout the story to keep the reader’s interest. The premise of the story is intriguing, but to someone who doesn’t have any computer knowledge it may be a little much delving into the world of computers and hackers. For me working with computers I found it interesting and slightly frightening how easy it may be for someone to hack my or anyone else’s information.

The story is very descriptive and I feel as if I’m right there with the characters. The authors do a good job of bringing the characters to life and taking you on their journey. The suspense was there, I just wish it had been a little more well written in the beginning so that people wouldn’t have lost interest. Once you get through the first 50 or so pages you are drawn into their story and want to know what ends up happening to this family. The ending was not what I expected as the rest of the book is kind of drawn out, but the end is very short and not as good as I had hoped with all the suspense. However, it does have an interesting twist that saved it. Not bad for a first novel from a father/daughter team though.
Sarah E.
This book isn't really a thriller. Fast paced it is not. It is hard to feel sorry for family that has to go into hiding, while they whine (externally or internally) about losing their first class life for a quiet, internet free middle class life. They spend 11 years in (terror) but do nothing about it but complain for the majority of the book.

I read it hoping that it would pick up, but found that the book is one long rant. A rant against the government. A rant against internet privacy rights. I found it like trudging through tar laden mud. I only kept picking up the book in hopes that something excited would happen, only to put it down again of boredom and disappointment.

The Father Daughter writing team was a great selling point. However it feels as if the book was written with the authors switching off on writing chapters. Every other chapter (almost) was pleasant to read, but then the next would be boring and hard to get through. I suspect the Daughter has the better and less rant worthy writing skills. If this is the case, she needs to write books without her father. Truly boring and unlikable characters with the exception of the oldest Daughter.

DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free from @influenster in a #HolidayVoxBox to review. The opinions herein are my own and are not influenced by anyone else.
Linette F.
La Verne, CA
I received this book from Influenster, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to review such a fun, exciting romp. Written by father-daughter duo John and Caitlin Stuart, this cyber-crime thriller is poignant, timely and so well written, I could re-read it right away! With details to spare and taking place in their geographical backyard, the little nuances of writing this close to home really shine through. With a twist at the end I didn’t see coming (and no, I won’t spoil it here!), I left this literary experience satisfied and ready for more! This Stuart duo did a bang up job, putting themes like identity theft, and bank fraud at the forefront of the narrative, something we all have had some type of experience with, unfortunately. But it’s a detail that means we can immediately identify with our protagonists. I will say that the book started out a little slow, but once it takes off, hold on tight, because I couldn’t put it down! Kidnapping, suspense, and evil foreign criminal enterprise, witness protection, technological armageddon…my goodness! There’s something for everyone here, and your doing yourself a disservice not picking this up.
Lauren W.
Fayetteville, NC
If you like intense thriller or "detective" books this one is for you. This book was Impressive not only because of the in depth descriptions to paint a picture of Gavin and Lisa's lifestyle but also Gavin's computer and banking background. You will fall in love with this family and your gut will twist and turn with every heartbreak they face. You'll be on the edge of your seat with every wild turn this book takes. Literal Gasps! Another impressive part of this book is the accuracy on locations, being someone who has visited or lived in almost every place mentioned in the book, it was nice to see how in depth the writers went in researching places instead of just "throwing a name in there".

Lastly, this book is a true eye opener. As a society which is all about being in the loop and connected realising the complications of making social media aware of your every move as a possible dangerous one is a wake up call every one could use.

I would most definitely recommend this book to anyone
Nicole R.
Lawrence, MA
During my experience with this book, I had to force myself through the first five chapters. (Luckily, that only meant 48 pages) I though it was more about world history and imagery and painting a picture of a couple with children so well off my life was dirt. From the pickup of Chapter 6 I was absolutely captivated. I couldn't put it down, and not because I was reviewing it for Influenster. Terrific imagery, sophisticated vocabulary but not enough so I felt the need to reference a dictionary and really well thought through with the story line and progression. You could see the movie playing out in your head with no confusion. Wonderful twists and turns throughout the novel. The ending was so shocking I had to read it twice!
I dislike reading a vast majority of books twice, but this book has a good re-readability factor to it.
I loved that it was real enough to scare me into thinking some of my cyber-choices and taught me quite a bit
Dani R.
Lomita, CA
I absolutely was surprised when I finally finished this book. I am a daily reader and have read hundreds of books and I have to say this one was quite interesting! It started off a tad bit slow but by chapter 3 it was pretty much into details and I was hooked. The plot was intriguing and made it hard to put down. I often found my self making spare time just so I can get in another chapter or two. Not to mention it pro-treys real life events that could or possible have happened to someone. It makes it that much more desirable because the factual content is relate able to today's living. With all that being said this was a fantastic book and will remain in my library or even be passed on to fellow book readers so they can enjoy the Father Daughter Duo, "Hiding in Sunshine", as I did. Thank You again to the Father and Daughter duo, who made this as spectacular as it is!
Silver S.
This book is an eye opener about the world we live in today while still being a great read. Hiding in Sunshine revolves around a family and how their lives are affected by identity theft, and how they navigate the place between right and wrong in order to get their lives back. I truly loved the fact that Hiding in Sunshine doesn't allow its characters to be good or bad, but more realistic with many conflicting motivations. The depth and authenticity of the characters are reminiscent of Game of Thrones, where no character is as he seems, but are always trying to do what's best.

Caitlin's character was definitely the most relatable and likable.Even though the book starts slowly, it soon becomes impossible to put down.
Kelly T.
Central, SC
Who else had a hard time getting into this book at first? and then after a few chapters it became a lot better!
Nicole D.
What made you read it??
Ashley K.
Aliquippa , PA
Did you get Hiding in Sunshine from Influenster?
Janis J.
Horseheads, NY
Did you like this book?
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
What's your favorite part?