Hertz or Enterprise?
Do they offer free children's chair?
Do they have hidden fees? If I book online will they charge me extra once I get there to pick up the car?
Start your review of Hertz!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
“I called customer service and 2 hours later after I had been transferred from about 10 people who listened to my story and the told me it wasn't their problem, I found someone who told me to get the car fixed and they would reimburse me.” in reviews
“One time the brakes on my rental car were not working right I took the car right back and got a new one and they also cage me $100.00 credit for my next rental.” in reviews
“My company's preferred rental company is Hertz, and so I've always rented from them and collected points.” in reviews
“Their service is great and you can pay an underage fee if you are under 21 to rent a vehicle, unlike other car rental services.” in reviews
I had a terrible experience with Hertz. I’ve used the car rental service once and was unfortunately let down. When vacationing in Las Vegas, we decided to take a rental car to visit the Grand Canyon. Long story short, our rental car broke down on the side of the road halfway there. We had to wait for roadside service, which took 3 hours, and then have the car towed back to the lot we picked it up from. After closing out our rental, we went on with our vacation. A week later we noticed a deduction of over $1000 on our bank statement from Hertz. I immediately called customer service to question the charge. They told me that we were still in possession of the vehicle, which was not true as it was brought back to the lot on the back of a flat bed truck. It wasn’t until I offered to provide police recordings from breaking down on the side of the road did they refund the charge. Someone in the office did not mark our car as returned the day we broke down on the side of the road, so they thought we had it the entire week. I will never again rent from Hertz. They were not helpful and ultimately caused a huge headache during and after our vacation.
Carteret, NJ
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
Hertz is probably one of the most well known car rental brands, I think because of this, they are the easiest to rent with. They usually have many cars in all different classes to choose from, and a lot of employees to help get you where you need to go. I recently became a customer with them because they have a good selection of vehicles, usually the cars are equipped with back up cameras and Apple car play which are a huge plus, and they are hands down always the most conveniently located rental company in airports. I’ve only had two issues in the many times I’ve dealt with them, once because I was charged with hidden fees on XM radio that I didn’t even listen to for more than 5 minutes, when I complained on Twitter they made it right. The second time was with their Union Station location, one of the tires had a slow leak and they wouldn’t send me roadside assistance. I had to visit another location to get my tire filled. Unfortunately, it wasn’t just a little lost air, it was a leak. I was in DC for business and didn’t have time to keep going from location to location trying to figure this issue out so I had to drive through the city on a slow leak, very scary and frustrating!!
Hopkinsville
Where do I begin? I was going to Florida (from Kentucky if that matters). I was going at the End of May, we were leaving May 17-18th I believe. I called in FEBRUARY to set things up, and again in MARCH to verify and see what I needed to do in May and see if I could prepay, etc. and I called in April again AND two days before pickup to make sure everything was set, because I was scared they’d tell me something was wrong. well I was quoted like what maybe $440? Idk. Doesn’t matter. I come in the day before we were leaving to pick up our rental car, and I was told I didn’t have a reservation and they didn’t have any cars...excuse me what?? I had to call make calls to let my family know we never had a reservation.. thankfully the girl covering the counter (the original girl I’d talked to apparently just walked out.) called her boss and got us a rental, quoted us what other girl told us, apparently our quote was pretty unreal and never would’ve actually been the real quote because it should’ve been more like $700 (I’m under 25 so there’s extra charges). Thank god the other girl got us a car so we didn’t lose any reservations! And upgraded us!
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
At the location where I have most recently (last 5 years) used them, (MDW), I’ve been regularly disappointed so have stopped booking with them. The self serve kiosks are never working, the lines are extensive with usually only one counter employee assisting customers though others may be behind the counter, and I’ve almost always had to wait for a car to be ready despite having booked the car well in advance of my arrival. I’ve missed meetings which were my whole point of making the trip in the first place because I’ve been waiting for my reserved car that wasn’t ready. At that point, you’re charged regardless for the vehicle even though the need for it is nullified, so there’s no point in canceling. I’ve had some associates tell me it wasn’t ready because I was “late picking up”.....after I’d been waiting in line to get to the counter for over an hour. Sadly, this hasn’t been only a one time occurrence so we’ve stopped using them altogether. They’re typically priced a bit higher than others in the same building who don’t have these service issues so we use others instead.
Madison, WI
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
We have had great experiences and not so great experiences. Mostly great however we did have an issue once with a Hertz location in Orlando. The quotewe were given online and during pick up was far different than what we were charged. During the drop off we verified with the employee that there was no damage , That there was no issues with the vehicle Just as we verify all of the other times we have used any type of rental car. When we went to sign off on the charge it was about $300 different than what our quote and our pick up price was. We spent quite a bit of time talking with employees and eventually a manager to get the situation straightened out. I am still unsure what the charges were but thankfully they were kind and understanding and it did give us the price we were quoted at. It wasn’t taxes, it fell under the “fees” category however when we asked what the fees were for it was very unclear and we got several different answers which made the process very frustrating and confusing. Thankfully we had left enough time so we wouldn’t miss our flight!
Sealy, TX
f I could have given 10 stars or more I would have. There are simply not enough words to express our gratitude to Marlana and her entire team at Hertz (130 W. Prien Lake Road in Lake Charles, Louisiana). I rented a car previously and the service was excellent but, what they did for my son and me was above and beyond and I am moved to tears just thinking about it. They only knew me as a customer but, I fell on hard times and my son and I became homeless. Marlana saw us and her entire team at Hertz put money together to not just get us a hotel room for days but, to get us food and drinks. They made a commitment to our lives not a contribution and it has made a significant difference. They are real people with big hearts who asked for nothing in return. Where do you find the words to express gratitude for this? Thank you, Thank you, thank you! We will never forget this team at Hertz on W. Prien Lake Road.
Tulsa, OK
I have Hertz Gold.   It's mostly OK.   I personally think car rentals are a commodity business with low margins, so car rental companies are regularly trying to predict how many cars to have available versus the number of reservations.  Sometimes that works out, and sometimes it doesn't.    At the best run Hertz locations, if there is no car available, they give me an upgrade.   At the others,  if there is no car, it is confusion, waiting, and wasted time.    For business travel, Hertz is probably my #2, although I use it most of the time due to our corporate contract.   National seems to be more efficient.     For vacation travel, I would heavily weight Hertz versus any leisure brand (Alamo, Budget, etc).
Portland
Globetrotter Expert Level 1
I had a terrible experience with Hertz & whenever I hear that someone is renting a car, I tell them not to rent with them. They have terrible customer service and do not make up for what they mess up. I rented for a road trip & was given false information. It ultimately almost left my husband and I stranded & costed us a couple hundred more than we were told. I was told that I couldn’t open a report with customer service until I returned the car. Then, when I returned the car & everything they gave me a $40 voucher, like I would ever rent with them again. I was also told at one point that nothing could be done because it was the holiday season (in a very rude way). All in all, I would never recommend.
Beaverton, OR
Globetrotter Expert Level 2
I will never rent from Hertz again. I’ve rented from them so many times and everything was always fine until the last time the employee and general manager were so rude. On top of that, when I went in to get the car, they said they didn’t have one ready (mind you, this is a reservation that had been set up for weeks), so my option was to take a car that someone just brought back or wait for them to clean it. I didn’t have time to wait so I said I’ll just take it thinking how bad can it be? Well it was bad! The car was filthy! That they even thought it would be ok to let a customer get into a car like that was beyond me and that they didn’t have a car ready even though they knew I was coming.
I personally will never go through hurts again we went there after our airfare flight and they told us that they had a certain car on the lot reserved for us which was a lie they then put us in a similar car about three miles down the road we noticed when the speed limit picked up the car was wobbling profusely and the check engine light came on when we called the shop discussing the issue they refused to come pick us up and we had to use our AAA to get back there because it was unsafe they refused to give us a discount on another vehicle they said they did not see the issue the car was safe! They only reimburse to us for for following days that we were going to run it they refused to pay us back full price of what we had already paid even when it was a major issue, so we had to get a taxi and use Enterprise, when u pay that price for a car that needs work it is crazy Never again
Ask a question to the Influenster community...