BY HERBAL ESSENCES

Cleanse Hair for Lightweight Moisture

Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Shampoo is a moisturizing shampoo specifically crafted with naturally inspired ingredients to infuse hair with lightweight conditioning that lets life in.

• Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo is crafted with bio:renew, a signature blend of essential antioxidants, aloe and sea kelp
  • Herbal Essences with bio:renew brings your hair back to life in just 21 days
  • Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo has 0% parabens, gluten and colorants
  • Shampoo that is color safe and provides sheer moisture
  • Experience the multi-layered scents of green leaves, water lily, and clean amber of Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo
  • For more stunning hair, use Cucumber and Green Tea Conditioner and Dry Shampoo with bio:renew

Ingrédients :

Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Fragrance/Parfum, Histidine, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Water, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ecklonia Radiata Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Cocamide Mea, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium Edta, Peg-60 Almond Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Linoleamidopropyl Pg-dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Trihydroxystearin,Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

• I was wondering how this shampoo is for cleansing the sca...2 Answers
  • I would love to try these! Cucumber is one of my favorite...5 Answers
Melissa H.
So here's the tea about this shampoo. I tried this shampoo, as well as the foam conditioner once. The fragrance smelled pleasant and not overpowering. The shampoo felt soft in my hair, while the foam conditioner was worthless and did nothing. The day after I used this shampoo, I woke up with hives around my hair line, as well as my wrist where my hair tie was touching. I took an allergy pill and went about my day. The next day my hives spread on various spots on my body. It became so bad that by the time I got home, the back of my knee was swollen and red, as well as the top of my foot. It was so painful that I had to go to the ER because I thought I had a blood clot. The doctor confirmed that I was having a severe allergic reaction. They had to administer steroids and benadryl via IV. I have to spend hundreds of dollars in hospital bills to pay for this shampoo that I received from Influester to test out. This was not worth almost dying for. I don't know exactly what ingredient(s) in this shampoo that triggered my allergic reaction, but it was the only thing that I changed in my beauty routine. If you have sensitive skin please DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! By the time i got to the hospital (which is 35 minutes away from me), I was on the verge of going into anaphylaxis. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this reaction.

Pros: feels soft on the hair, smells good
Cons: IT ALMOST KILLED ME
Katie G.
To preface this review, I received this product as part of a VoxBox campaign through Influenster. I am an avid skincare, haircare and makeup junkie and I normally don't buy anything without heavily researching it first. My hair is medium length, coarse/thick, color treated, and has a 2A wave pattern.

My first impressions when opening my box is that the amount of product is a standard size. I like that on the packaging it is easy to tell what issues the shampoo is supposed to help with. I do wish that there had been some more information on exactly what makes the Bio.renew line different from Herbal Essences other products.

When I was washing my hair in the shower I was pleased to see that the shampoo appears to be free of dyes. As other reviewers noted, the fragrance was fantastic. I especially appreciate that it isn't overly feminine. It just smells, clean, fresh, and spa-like. I used about a quarter sized amount do get a very nice, rich lather on my hair. The shampoo rinsed cleanly without any issue and did not leave my hair feeling overly dry, which I appreciate.

Now there were a few things that I would be interested to know regarding this shampoo that weren't particularly clear on the package. The package itself states that this shampoo is pH balanced and color safe, but it doesn't list what the pH is. Additionally, as you can see in the ingredients image I posted, this shampoo does have sulfates in it, which as someone with color treated hair I generally avoid.

Overall, I give this shampoo 4 out of 5 starts because I know that with the standard price associated with a bottle of Herbal Essences it is a good value. It smells absolutely wonderful and was very nice to use during a relaxing shower after a long day. I think if I was looking to branch out from my normal salon quality products to buy something less expensive for travel, etc, I would definitely repurchase the product.
Carol L.
It's been about 20 years since I last used an Herbal Essences shampoo and I remember not being a fan back in the day. The fragrances were too floral, the shampoo too runny and I recall that the shampoo didn't lather all that well. Needless to say I was curious but didn't have very high expectations when I was invited by Influenster to try the revamped shampoo for free.

Right off the bat, I have to say the fragrance is exactly what I expected from an Herbal Essences shampoo. The Cucumber and Green Tea scent is actually more of an intense green floral and reminds me of another old school bath & body fragrance that could be found at the supermarket and drugstore in the late '90s/early 2000s: The Healing Garden's Green Tea Therapy by Coty.  It's a scent that you really have to like because it lingers in the hair for a long time. Personally, I think it's an overpowering, headache inducing scent.

As for the texture and lather, I think Herbal Essences has improved on both by a mile. The texture of the gel is more viscous, less runny than back in the day and I can now get a thick, rich lather from the shampoo.

Herbal Essences claims that the Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo provides lightweight moisture and conditioning but I didn't experience that. My hair is normal but very fine and I felt that this particular shampoo actually stripped my hair, leaving it looking dry, flat and dull afterward. It made my hair literally squeaky clean and in my opinion acts more like a clarifying shampoo that I would use once every few weeks rather than an everyday (or every other day) shampoo.

From fragrance to overall results, I'm still not a fan of Herbal Essences. I'm someone who only uses drugstore shampoos and personally I feel like there are a lot better shampoos out there that provide moisture, have pleasant yet less overpowering fragrances, clean well without overstripping, and leave the hair with a healthy shine and bounce.
Kim M.
I received this product from Influenster for free in exchange for my unbiased review. My hair is dry, prone to split ends and frizz, and I have a sensitive scalp. I have always used salon brands and in the last year or so have switched over to silicone and sulfate free hair products since those ingredients can make my scalp itchy and break out.

Ingredients: I was concerned about this product when I looked at the ingredient list because the second and third ingredients are sulfates and fragrance is very high up on the list. Sulfates dry out hair so a moisturizing product shouldn't use high amounts of sulfates; also sulfates aren't color safe, yet this shampoo claims to be. I used this product only once because my scalp broke out from it.

Fragrance: Oddly, this shampoo says cucumber and green tea on the front of the bottle, yet the fragrance notes are listed as water lily, amber, and green leaves (green tea leaves?). The scent is herbal and clean and I enjoy it, but I do not think it smells like cucumber or green tea. I appreciate that it isn't floral as so many shampoos are, but it is wayyyyy too overpowering. My entire bathroom smelled like a Bath and Body Works for hours. I don't mind shampoo having a fragrance, but if the scent is very strong and lingers on my hair it can give me migraines. If you want your hair to put off a scent for a few days after washing then this might be for you, but if you are sensitive to scents you might want to pass.

Overall: Aside from the fragrance and sulfates (and the acne they caused), this is actually a surprisingly good shampoo. I have only used a drugstore hair product one other time and it was a big let down, but this sort of changed my mind about the potential cheap hair products can have. Before my scalp broke out, I was loving how this and the matching foam conditioner made my hair look. It made my hair soft, clean, bouncy, hydrated, and healthy. I won't be using this shampoo again because an irritated scalp isn't worth it and the sulfates and fragrance will only cause more irritation the more I use it. I will however keep using the conditioner because I have no problems with any of the ingredients and the fragrance isn't as strong. I think Herbal Essences is headed in the right direction with making inexpensive haircare silicone, paraben, and dye free and this moisturizing shampoo would be amazing and totally convert me from using expensive salon brands if they used sulfate alternative like sodium lauryl sulfoacetate and toned the fragrance down. If you have never had issues with fragrance or sulfates and have dry hair I would highly recommend this, the price is totally reasonable and makes your hair so soft and silky and moisturized without any tangling.
Lauren W.
Denver, CO
I was honestly SHOCKED at how much I enjoyed this shampoo! Right out of the box I got a little nostalgic when I noticed they haven't changed the bottle shape! It's the same silhouette of the rosehips formula I used as a teen. I'll be totally honest, I was hesitant about the Cucumber-Green Tea scent I received. I absolutely hate cucumber, even the smell is gross to me! To my absolute surprise this did not smell like cucumber at all! It actually reminded me of a water-y type fragrance, similar to the Dead Sea Minerals handsoap from Method. For a couple years now I have been using co-washes to keep my frizz down, so I unintentionally used WAY more product than needed! This product is free of dyes and parabens but it does contain sulfates, so the suds were intense! It took me quite a bit to rinse out the (very rich and creamy feeling) lather out of my medium-long hair, so learn from my mistake and only use a little bit! Overall I really enjoyed using the shampoo and I plan to keep it in my shower for after workouts when I need a more intense clean! With full transparency and disclosure: I received this product along with the accompanying foam conditioner for free from Influenster in exchange for my honest review.
Taylor T.
Oklahoma City, OK
This shampoo gave me a lot of good and bad feelings, but I’ll start with the good. I don’t typically use sulfate shampoos, but they are handy when it comes to washing out oil treatments. I love the smell of the product, but it’s more of a perfume than a natural aroma. It lathered up and rinsed well, I didn’t feel like it took me a lot of product to get me hair clean (I have fine, color treated hair). Now for the bad: Whatever fragrance is in this product gave e a tingly (slightly burning?) sensation. I have sensitive skin but I was honestly surprised. I could not find anything on the bottle that suggested this reaction was normal. I do feel this would be too drying for my hair unless I’m doing some deep conditioning. This product cleanses well and smells good, so I would recommend it to others, but only if you are not sensitive to fragrance. I received this product in a VoxBox for free in exchange for my honest review.
Jess R.
Oakland, MD
I'm a new mom who, on most days, is lucky if I get enough time to brush my hair before I take my son out of the house. So taking a shower is laughable to me sometimes. When I received the #herbalessences #biorenew shampoo and foam conditioner, I was thrilled to hand my son over to dad and try it out! The shampoo smells incredible. Like "eyes rolled in the back of my head" incredible. And when I tried out the foam conditioner, it was such a different experience to what I'm used to with other products. First, it smelled great just like the shampoo and when I worked it into my hair, I was expecting my hair to feel soft but, as with all conditioners I've used in the past, weighed down. Nope! Not with this conditioner! My hair felt lighter and more manageable. I got out of the shower and didn't have to wrestle with my brush to get all the knots out. When I usually style my hair, it ends up going limp from the weight of all the product I put in my hair to keep it soft. But with this conditioner, I didn't need anything other than a heat protectant for blowdrying. And to top it all off, my hair stayed voluminous without having to tease it or add a sticky powder to my roots! So my hair got to stay touchable soft all day. I won't always get to pamper my hair, but from now on, when I do, I will be using this genius collection. Thank you @herbalessences and thank you @influenster for giving me a chance to review this new product. I'm in love!
Sarah S.
Athens, GA
I received the Herbal Essences shampoo from Influenster and was pleasantly surprised. I don't use Herbal Essence products on a regular basis, and although I've never been displeased with their products, this shampoo won my heart over that I may actually make this as part of my normal regimen. I'm eager to try the other scents, but I'm so in love with the cucumber/green tea scent that I don't think I will. It's so fresh and doesn't smell overly feminine or fruity. With most other shampoos I've used in the past, I feel the scent smells great while in use in the shower, but disappears from my hair shortly after. With this one, I was smelling it on my hair well into the next day.

I've only used this product once so I can't say how it will affect my hair in the long term, but so far so good. I wouldn't say my hair feels extraordinarily soft or healthy, but it doesn't feel bad, so I'll take it! Excited to continue using this product.
Katie S.
Carpentersvle, IL
I always love the smell of Herbal Essences products. This shampoo did not disappoint there. It smells fresh and especially great in the morning to wake up to.

Unboxing this product and reading the label I noticed a few things. This shampoo is paraben free which is good. However, it is not free of sulfates. I made a commitment a few years ago to not use any shampoos or conditioners that contain parabens and sulfates as they are bad for your hair (parabens are preservatives and sulfates dry out your hair). I did, however, give the shampoo a try.

This shampoo smelled great again. It lathered well and left my hair feeling clean. I used the conditioner of the same line after (see review).

Overall it's a nice product, just not one I would use due to the ingredients. Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Shampoo

**this product recieved as part of a VoxBox
Hayli S.
Oroville, CA
I love this shampoo. It was given to me in a voxbox but thats not why i love it. I have really thick bleached/lightened blonde hair to the middle of my back and a quarter size amount actually made it through all my hair. It has a luxurious lather and sent. I smell like a spa but its not super overpowering that it will clash with perfumes of linger. The smell isnt overpowering either. My hair ussually hates shampoo because its dry and tangles easily. I also usually get oily roots and very dry knotted mess. My hair is still soft and managable in the lengths and soft and freshy clean feeling on my natural regrows. This will definately be repurchased by me when i run out. Ill want to try the golden oil and argan oil ones next. This shampoo Paired with [product:herbal-essences-bio:-renew-cucumber-&-green-tea-in-the-shower-foam-conditioner-6-oz.-box] will probally be my new summer hair wash routine for oily scalp hair.
Alyssa S.
Phoenix, MD
I would love to try these! Cucumber is one of my favorite scents! Is this good for all hair types?
Umna A.
Toronto, ON
I was wondering how this shampoo is for cleansing the scalp and ridding it of oils. In winters my hair turns greasy real quick, will it help with that and also moisturize my hair?