BY HERBAL ESSENCES #58 in Shampoo

Cleanse Hair for Lightweight Moisture

Herbal Essences Cucumber & Green Tea Shampoo is a moisturizing shampoo specifically crafted with naturally inspired ingredients to infuse hair with lightweight conditioning that lets life in.

• Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo is crafted with bio:renew, a signature blend of essential antioxidants, aloe and sea kelp
  • Herbal Essences with bio:renew brings your hair back to life in just 21 days
  • Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo has 0% parabens, gluten and colorants
  • Shampoo that is color safe and provides sheer moisture
  • Experience the multi-layered scents of green leaves, water lily, and clean amber of Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo
  • For more stunning hair, use Cucumber and Green Tea Conditioner and Dry Shampoo with bio:renew

Ingrédients :

Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Fragrance/Parfum, Histidine, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Water, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ecklonia Radiata Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Zea Mays (Corn) Silk Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Extract, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Cocamide Mea, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium Edta, Peg-60 Almond Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Linoleamidopropyl Pg-dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Trihydroxystearin,Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

• I would love to try these! Cucumber is one of my favorite scents!...1 Answers
Buy on ULTA
Jess R.
Oakland, MD
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I'm a new mom who, on most days, is lucky if I get enough time to brush my hair before I take my son out of the house. So taking a shower is laughable to me sometimes. When I received the #herbalessences #biorenew shampoo and foam conditioner, I was thrilled to hand my son over to dad and try it out! The shampoo smells incredible. Like "eyes rolled in the back of my head" incredible. And when I tried out the foam conditioner, it was such a different experience to what I'm used to with other products. First, it smelled great just like the shampoo and when I worked it into my hair, I was expecting my hair to feel soft but, as with all conditioners I've used in the past, weighed down. Nope! Not with this conditioner! My hair felt lighter and more manageable. I got out of the shower and didn't have to wrestle with my brush to get all the knots out. When I usually style my hair, it ends up going limp from the weight of all the product I put in my hair to keep it soft. But with this conditioner, I didn't need anything other than a heat protectant for blowdrying. And to top it all off, my hair stayed voluminous without having to tease it or add a sticky powder to my roots! So my hair got to stay touchable soft all day. I won't always get to pamper my hair, but from now on, when I do, I will be using this genius collection. Thank you @herbalessences and thank you @influenster for giving me a chance to review this new product. I'm in love!
Kim M.
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I received this product from Influenster for free in exchange for my unbiased review. My hair is dry, prone to split ends and frizz, and I have a sensitive scalp. I have always used salon brands and in the last year or so have switched over to silicone and sulfate free hair products since those ingredients can make my scalp itchy and break out.

Ingredients: I was concerned about this product when I looked at the ingredient list because the second and third ingredients are sulfates and fragrance is very high up on the list. Sulfates dry out hair so a moisturizing product shouldn't use high amounts of sulfates; also sulfates aren't color safe, yet this shampoo claims to be. I used this product only once because my scalp broke out from it.

Fragrance: Oddly, this shampoo says cucumber and green tea on the front of the bottle, yet the fragrance notes are listed as water lily, amber, and green leaves (green tea leaves?). The scent is herbal and clean and I enjoy it, but I do not think it smells like cucumber or green tea. I appreciate that it isn't floral as so many shampoos are, but it is wayyyyy too overpowering. My entire bathroom smelled like a Bath and Body Works for hours. I don't mind shampoo having a fragrance, but if the scent is very strong and lingers on my hair it can give me migraines. If you want your hair to put off a scent for a few days after washing then this might be for you, but if you are sensitive to scents you might want to pass.

Overall: Aside from the fragrance and sulfates (and the acne they caused), this is actually a surprisingly good shampoo. I have only used a drugstore hair product one other time and it was a big let down, but this sort of changed my mind about the potential cheap hair products can have. Before my scalp broke out, I was loving how this and the matching foam conditioner made my hair look. It made my hair soft, clean, bouncy, hydrated, and healthy. I won't be using this shampoo again because an irritated scalp isn't worth it and the sulfates and fragrance will only cause more irritation the more I use it. I will however keep using the conditioner because I have no problems with any of the ingredients and the fragrance isn't as strong. I think Herbal Essences is headed in the right direction with making inexpensive haircare silicone, paraben, and dye free and this moisturizing shampoo would be amazing and totally convert me from using expensive salon brands if they used sulfate alternative like sodium lauryl sulfoacetate and toned the fragrance down. If you have never had issues with fragrance or sulfates and have dry hair I would highly recommend this, the price is totally reasonable and makes your hair so soft and silky and moisturized without any tangling.
Melissa H.
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
So here's the tea about this shampoo. I tried this shampoo, as well as the foam conditioner once. The fragrance smelled pleasant and not overpowering. The shampoo felt soft in my hair, while the foam conditioner was worthless and did nothing. The day after I used this shampoo, I woke up with hives around my hair line, as well as my wrist where my hair tie was touching. I took an allergy pill and went about my day. The next day my hives spread on various spots on my body. It became so bad that by the time I got home, the back of my knee was swollen and red, as well as the top of my foot. It was so painful that I had to go to the ER because I thought I had a blood clot. The doctor confirmed that I was having a severe allergic reaction. They had to administer steroids and benadryl via IV. I have to spend hundreds of dollars in hospital bills to pay for this shampoo that I received from Influester to test out. This was not worth almost dying for. I don't know exactly what ingredient(s) in this shampoo that triggered my allergic reaction, but it was the only thing that I changed in my beauty routine. If you have sensitive skin please DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! By the time i got to the hospital (which is 35 minutes away from me), I was on the verge of going into anaphylaxis. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this reaction.

Pros: feels soft on the hair, smells good
Cons: IT ALMOST KILLED ME
Jennifer M.
Feeding Hills, MA
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I received this shampoo to try for free in a box box and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I usually have salon quality shampoos in my shower rotation. My hair is dry, damaged, color-treated, thin and long with very little volume. I’m a slave to the flat iron. My expectations for this shampoo were not high.
When I opened the package the first thing I did was take a sniff. When I was younger I used the original Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner because of the smell. In high school, I had little concern for the quality of the products I used and this seemed to work for my hair. When they changed the formula, I moved on. I was super excited to find that the cucumber and green tea scent was not only better than the scent I used as a teenager, but it’s better than the high priced salon shampoo I have become accustomed to over the years. I was also expecting a smaller travel sized version. Surely I wasn’t going to get a full sized bottle of shampoo?! But this is the real deal! The packaging is pretty, too, though that isn’t something I generally find to be important.
I was excited to give this a try. I was happy to find that a little bit goes a long way. My hair is long-ish and just a dime sized amount produced a pretty good larger. The smell is amazing- clean and crisp with a touch of femininity but not so much that my husband couldn’t use it too. I recently had my hair colored and I was pleased that I did not see much of the color washing out (as it often does with my usual brand). My hair feels clean and soft. I am incredibly impressed and I would definitely recommend the bio renew line.
Becca C.
Borrego Spgs, CA
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I received the Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea shampoo free from Influenster to test. My hair is color treated, fine, dry and damaged. I am always on the look out for a quality shampoo that assists with adding moisture without weighing my hair down, so I couldn’t wait to test this stuff!
The packaging is pleasant and appealing without being too bold. One of my first moves with new shampoo is to smell it, and let me just say this one warrants a sigh of “mmm”! It is light and crisp, slightly feminine but not overpowering.
Next I read through the ingredient list, and my only concern (having color treated hair) is that it does contain sulfates. This is usually something I try to avoid, but isn’t a total deal breaker for me.
So, on to the shower! I was pleasantly surprised to see the shampoo is free of dyes. A little goes a long way, I used about a quarter sized amount and got a nice fluffy lather. The shampoo washed out easily and left my wet hair feeling clean and silky. No leftover residue! I followed up with the foam conditioner (see additional review).
Overall I am impressed with this product, Herbal Essences seems to have come a long way since I first tried out their products in high school (and wasn’t a fan, might I add). I am still a bit unclear as to what sets this new bio renew line apart from their previous products though.
I give this shampoo 4 out of 5 stars, knowing the associated price is minor in comparison to expensive salon products and the results are quite similar. I would consider purchasing this product again and would be interested in trying other scents/benefits.
Katie G.
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
To preface this review, I received this product as part of a VoxBox campaign through Influenster. I am an avid skincare, haircare and makeup junkie and I normally don't buy anything without heavily researching it first. My hair is medium length, coarse/thick, color treated, and has a 2A wave pattern.

My first impressions when opening my box is that the amount of product is a standard size. I like that on the packaging it is easy to tell what issues the shampoo is supposed to help with. I do wish that there had been some more information on exactly what makes the Bio.renew line different from Herbal Essences other products.

When I was washing my hair in the shower I was pleased to see that the shampoo appears to be free of dyes. As other reviewers noted, the fragrance was fantastic. I especially appreciate that it isn't overly feminine. It just smells, clean, fresh, and spa-like. I used about a quarter sized amount do get a very nice, rich lather on my hair. The shampoo rinsed cleanly without any issue and did not leave my hair feeling overly dry, which I appreciate.

Now there were a few things that I would be interested to know regarding this shampoo that weren't particularly clear on the package. The package itself states that this shampoo is pH balanced and color safe, but it doesn't list what the pH is. Additionally, as you can see in the ingredients image I posted, this shampoo does have sulfates in it, which as someone with color treated hair I generally avoid.

Overall, I give this shampoo 4 out of 5 starts because I know that with the standard price associated with a bottle of Herbal Essences it is a good value. It smells absolutely wonderful and was very nice to use during a relaxing shower after a long day. I think if I was looking to branch out from my normal salon quality products to buy something less expensive for travel, etc, I would definitely repurchase the product.
Caryn H.
Review for: Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo more...
I received the herbal essence green tea and cucumber shampoo as part of an influenster campaign.

At first I was excited to see this be bio. Renew line as I'm always looking for a more natural line and eco friendly. It is also made in a plant that is involved in renewable wind energy which seemed great. Unfortunately i started reading the ingredients and was sad to see some sulfates and fragrances that are typically on list of ingredients to avoid such as the "never" list. However, the fragrance itself seemed light (and refreshing) and the product did exclude parabens and colorants so it's leading in the right direction and I decided to give it a try.

Right from the first time I used it my hair responded well. It seemed to be very well cleaned and no residue was left behind. After a few more uses the feeling remained the same, did a good job of cleaning my hair and left it feeling nice!

Overall I'm giving this product 3 stars. Knowing the price point, id consider purchasing again if I needed a good cheap shampoo either last minute or for travel. I probably wouldn't switch to it full time because of some of the ingredients and I didn't feel like it was anything extrodinary, but certainly not bad. I'm happy to have tried it and am glad herbal essence seems to be moving into a great direction as a company with this bio renew line! Herbal Essences Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo
Carol L.
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
It's been about 20 years since I last used an Herbal Essences shampoo and I remember not being a fan back in the day. The fragrances were too floral, the shampoo too runny and I recall that the shampoo didn't lather all that well. Needless to say I was curious but didn't have very high expectations when I was invited by Influenster to try the revamped shampoo for free.

Right off the bat, I have to say the fragrance is exactly what I expected from an Herbal Essences shampoo. The Cucumber and Green Tea scent is actually more of an intense green floral and reminds me of another old school bath & body fragrance that could be found at the supermarket and drugstore in the late '90s/early 2000s: The Healing Garden's Green Tea Therapy by Coty.  It's a scent that you really have to like because it lingers in the hair for a long time. Personally, I think it's an overpowering, headache inducing scent.

As for the texture and lather, I think Herbal Essences has improved on both by a mile. The texture of the gel is more viscous, less runny than back in the day and I can now get a thick, rich lather from the shampoo.

Herbal Essences claims that the Cucumber and Green Tea Shampoo provides lightweight moisture and conditioning but I didn't experience that. My hair is normal but very fine and I felt that this particular shampoo actually stripped my hair, leaving it looking dry, flat and dull afterward. It made my hair literally squeaky clean and in my opinion acts more like a clarifying shampoo that I would use once every few weeks rather than an everyday (or every other day) shampoo.

From fragrance to overall results, I'm still not a fan of Herbal Essences. I'm someone who only uses drugstore shampoos and personally I feel like there are a lot better shampoos out there that provide moisture, have pleasant yet less overpowering fragrances, clean well without overstripping, and leave the hair with a healthy shine and bounce.
Jennifer W.
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I can complelty and honestly say that I have used and thoroughly LOVE Herbal Essence as a brand for many years. It's a brand that I remember all the way from my childhood to adulthood. I remember when I was younger using their products because I love the scent that my mother used and would beg to have opportunities to try using it. And they always do the best out of every brand I've ever tried in terms of having truly impactful and great smelling scents. I'm a sucker for green tea to start with but this was a true treat to try. I'm currently third trimester pregnant so having a brand new shampoo with an amazing scent to try was awesome. I love the packaging it's not only eye catching but was also super user-friendly and easy to use while I was in the shower no fiddling around or wasting product. It lathers really well and honestly makes my hair squeaky clean. On top of that I once my hair dried you could just see it shine! Feels amazingly sift to the touch and again I can't get enough of it's cool and refreshing scent! I use this along with the same scent of foam conditioner check out my review on that as well but the two together were an amazing power couple and I would highly recommend this to anybody who wants to try a new shampoo and conditioner combo. I will definitely be repurchasing this and would highly recommend this product.
Kristina N.
Thomaston , CT
Review for: 13.5 Oz more...
I’ve always liked Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner products so I was extremely excited to try their new bio renew line. This shampoo is targeted to nurture, hydrate and refresh your hair. After just the first use my hair looks and feels so much more healthy and hydrated.
As soon as I opened the bottle the first thing I noticed was the scent. It is extremely refreshing and reminds me of a rainforest with the mix of green leaves, water lily, and clean amber.
The consistency is just right and not to watery. It is very easy to apply and distribute throughout your hair. A small amount goes a long way as this shampoo lathers up very nicely. I like that it suds up well enough to really feel like you are cleaning your hair.
A few of my favorite things about this shampoo is that it is color safe, PH balanced, and is paraben free. It is made with antioxidants that help purify and protect your hair.
My hair is much more manageable, shiny and free flowing since using this shampoo. I’ve noticed that my normally dry, frizzy, damaged hair is now smooth, soft, and looks more healthy! Not only is this shampoo enjoyable and refreshing to use, it is also good for your hair.
This new bio renew line is definitely one of my new favorites. I’m excited to try the different varieties and scents! I highly recommend it and myself will continue to use and repurchase it!
Alyssa S.
Phoenix, MD
I would love to try these! Cucumber is one of my favorite scents! Is this good for all hair types?