BY J. K. ROWLING #5 in Books

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a fantasy novel written by British author J. K. Rowling. It is the first novel in the Harry Potter series and Rowling's debut novel, first published in 1997 by Bloomsbury.

• Do you prefer reading the book or watching the movie? Har...10 Answers
  • Did you like the books or movies better?83 Answers
  • I have only seen the movie, how does the book compare?3 Answers
Jéssica S.
Perkiomenville
Melhor livro/série literária dos últimos tempos. Não tem mínimo ou máxima de idade. Livro que trata, em um mundo mágico, sobre pontos importantes da sociedade. Apesar de ter filmes baseados nos livros, apenas os livros traz os pequenos detalhes da história. Esse primeiro livro, onde se inicia a saga de Harry Potter é incrível.
Hanna V.
Omaha, NE
This was the start of it all! The start of the greatest series I have ever read. I have re-read this book more times than I can count and it holds up every single time. JK Rowling is a master. She creates the best worlds, and I wish I lived in them. I love every character (but Hagrid is my favorite). This story was magical and captivating and I think I might have to go re-read it yet again.
Sarah D.
The sorcerers stone is a great start to the series. The storyline and character descriptions are well covered and have you quickly picking your favorites. Their quirks make them lovable and attitudes remind you of people that are already in your life. Great read. Love, love, love the harry potter series!
Gina L.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I remember reading this book for the first time and being absolutely sucked into this magical world and wishing so hard that I could be a student at Hogwarts. It’s truly a magical series and this is a great first book of a series. Really sucks you in
لميسة  .
queens
I don’t know what my childhood would be if I haven’t read this book. My favorite childhood story book. You can imagine yourself being in a world like harry. This book will make anyone fall in love with the writer who is amazing.
Anna M.
Long Beach, CA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I’ve loved the Harry Potter books ever since they first came out (yes, way before the movies, lol). I remember having to do the dishes when I was in middle school, and I would have this propped up even in the middle of chores because I couldn’t put the books down.
Autumn F.
This is my favorite book series ever! The first couple in the series are great for kids. They start getting pretty dark after that. I have read them several times and they always make me happy and help me escape the realities of life.
Emily G.
Middleton
The most iconic book of my childhood. I remember when each book came out it was such an exciting event. I’ve reread it probably 10 times and it’s always just as magical as the first time. A must read.
Riah W.
1,894 reviews
Bookworm Expert Level 1
This series was a staple in my childhood. I finished the entire series in a week in the 3rd grade before moving onto Lord of The Rings and Little women. I really enjoyed both the movies and the books, I've re-read and watched both so many times I've lost count. I can quote the first chapter of the first book word for word and I can quote every line in all of the movies.
Danielle L.
Portland, OR
The book starts from the point of view of Harry's Uncle, who as he goes to work begins to notice strange things occurring, but as a Muggle ends up leaving these events aside, but scarcely did he know that on that particular day the wizarding world commemorated the Fall of you-know-who, and many of them in their happiness ended up leaving caution aside and letting themselves be seen by Muggles.
We followed the moment where Harry is left at the door of his uncles so he can live a normal life after the death of his parents, but what Dumbledore did not know was that by letting him live with his family, he would be condemning Harry to a Miserable childhood, because his uncles relegate him to a small room under the stairs and his cousin Duda mistreats him a lot. As he grows up, abnormal things surround the boy, and at every event he is punished by his uncles, who hide from Harry his true story, until his 11th birthday when the Hogwarts letters begin to arrive.

From there things change and change a lot, Harry discovers that he is known by the wizarding world, and that his parents did not die in a car accident, but rather they were killed by Voldemort an evil wizard, and he carries on the forehead the Mark of this battle, a ray-shaped scar. The story then follows with Harry's routine in his new life, he meets Ron and soon becomes friends, but his fame precedes him, and not everyone treats him with admiration, which soon becomes clear by the quarrels with Draco and Professor Snape , Who seem to hate Harry.
The narrative is very light and the reading flows quickly, the language is not difficult and at no time gets boring or loses its rhythm, the characters are all very well built, with special emphasis for Hermione that is very annoying as soon as it appears, but that Conquers us during the course of the plot, and makes us admire his intelligence and tenacity.
Brenda S.
Pocatello, ID
Is this book As good as everyone says it is?
Casey M.
Calgary, AB
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
How old were you when you first read it?
Stacia C.
Did you like the books or movies better?
Cam N.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Is this suitable for children 9+?
Xyanna F.
Columbus, OH
How old was you when you read the book? Has anybody finished the entire series?