BY J. K. ROWLING #32 in Books

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a fantasy novel written by British author J. K. Rowling and the third in the Harry Potter series. The book follows Harry Potter, a young wizard, in his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Along with friends Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger, Harry investigates Sirius Black, an escaped prisoner from Azkaban who they believe is one of Lord Voldemort's old allies.

• Is this your favorite book? If so, why?17 Answers
  • How many times have you read this book?20 Answers
  • Favorite scene from the book? Mine of course is when Siri...10 Answers
Amy R.
Waterford, PA
I just love the entire Harry Potter series. She is a literary genius.

The thing I like best about this book is that for one year out of his entire Hogwarts life, Harry is not being stalked and attempted to be murdered by Voldy. He actually has something else going on for once.

Would I say this is my favorite book in the series? No. But it is a nice break from routine and provides us with some refreshing insight into Harry’s parents and their friends.
Anna M.
Long Beach, CA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I’ve loved the Harry Potter books ever since they first came out (yes, way before the movies, lol). I remember having to do the dishes when I was in middle school, and I would have this propped up even in the middle of chores because I couldn’t put the books down.
Gina L.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I love this book! You learn so much about the characters and you really start to care for them like they’re real people haha. The plot and character development is great. It’s definitely a must read!
Taylor A.
Connersville, IN
My fiancé and I started a little challenge between each other earlier this month to see who could finish the Harry Potter series first. He’s still on the first book while I’m 3/4 of the way through with the third! This series is seriously amazing and this book is my favorite one yet; It is much more detailed than the movie ever was! 💛❤️
Sarah D.
My favorite book in the series. I loved sirius's story and the unfolding that took place in this book. A lot of backstory and a great storyline yet again from rowling.
Paola T.
Reno, NV
I love the whole “going back to the past” and “future sequences” mix. The author does a good job at creating the perfect storyline and connecting all the events together in the end. It also arises some feelings of compassion throughout the whole book, which makes it great.
Shelby W.
Portland, OR
Bookworm Expert Level 1
One of the most action packed of the Harry Potter series. I recommend this series to middle school children on up. In this one, there is a mysterious prisoner that Harry learns more about.
Alisha C.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Excellent book I recommend anyone to read it. Harry Potter is full of magic and fun. You’re never too old to like Harry Potter.
Andra D.
New Prt Rchy, FL
In anticipation of Harry Potter, Book 4, I had to read the first three books again. What I was struck with, again, is the sheer imaginative nature of J.K. Rowling's books. Simply put, these books are instant classics.
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is the third in the series following Harry Potter at Hogwart's school of wizardry. Harry is now a 13-year old (his birthday occurring at the beginning of the book), and concerned mostly with classes, Quidditch (a wizard sport), and the fact that he's not allowed to visit the local wizard village of Hogsmeade with his friends on the weekends. One of the reasons for this is that Sirius Black, a convicted murderer, has broken out of Azkaban, the wizard prison, and word has it that he's out to get Harry.
In keeping with Harry Potter tradition, the reader can expect surprises, twists and turns, malicious rivals, uncommonly kind professors, terrible relatives, amazing magic candy, true friendships, and a whiz-bang ending.
It's delightful to see how Rowling can stay true to the feel of the previous books, and yet allow Harry and friends to mature. This book is a little longer than the previous books, but the imagination never lets up, and gradually Harry's world is widening.
I would recommend this book to ANYONE (any age) who enjoys the writings of Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, or J.R.R. Tolkien. This is a very fun, humourous, and enjoyable fantasy novel, and one that should be read more than once!
Jenny R.
Huntersville, NC
My favorite HP movie and my second favorite HP book. The Prisoner of Askzaban is one of the best installations of the whole series. I'm a huge HP fan, and I grew up on these books. This book gave you a nice break away from Voldemort and introduced my favorite HP character of all time Sirius Black. It was nice to learn more about Harry's parents and their childhoods as well. I love this book.
Jessi O.
Sparks, NV
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
How many times have you read this book?
Robyn B.
Broken Arrow, OK
Is this your favorite book? If so, why?
Anna K.
Savannah, GA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Favorite scene from the book? Mine of course is when Sirius' true identity is revealed!
Mary P.
Anyone know where I can find this book ?
Elizabeth H.