BY NONE #64 in Books

• Did anyone else feel like it was almost like reading fanfiction? ...2 Answers
  • I decided to re-read the entire series before this came out but I...5 Answers
  • what's the word on this book ? I am a HP nerd and I feel like I w...3 Answers
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One & Two (Special Rehearsal Edition Script): The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production
Buy on Walmart*
Jessica G.
Jessica G.
I grew up with the Harry Potter series so I was super excited to be able to read about them as adults. I however was not a fan of the script format, It was a little difficult to read at first but after the first 20-30 pages it got easier to read and to follow. I must say that I was also not a fan of the impression I got from Ron's character which is sad because he was one of my favorites in the series... I sort of got the impression from this book that he was a drunken adult. I did also feel that the book was all over the place but again that could just be because I am not use to the script format. It is def. worth the read though, interesting to see how they were portrayed as adults and to see them interacting with their children. I'm giving it 4 stars because I can't seem to bring myself to give it less even with some of the disappointments.
Jacqueline B.
Jacqueline B.
Feeding Hills, MA

I love the Harry Potter books. They're all just so amazing. I hate to say that I was so disappointed in this one. I really wanted to like it, and I tried so hard. But here's the thing: it's not the fact that it's written as a screenplay. I was still able to use my imagination pretty well. I just don't like how the storyline itself was written, and I didn't really like some of the development of the characters. The beginning to me was so rushed that I wasn't able to picture Albus and Scorpius as teens; I still saw them as kids. Also, I didn't really like Harry's character much. I don't know. I could go on and nitpick what I didn't enjoy. This book just missed the mark for me. It was good for nostalgia purposes but other than that, it kind of ruined what I would have imagined as the continuation of what could have all the characters' lives.
Melissa C.
Melissa C.
You only get to read a new Harry Potter book for the first time once.

After that, you'll always know the ending. It's a special feeling, in my opinion, to be reading a Harry Potter story for the first time as an adult. I was 17 when Deathly Hallows came out and the last time I read a new Harry Potter book, not knowing the ending. Almost 10 years ago...

My thoughts? I'm satisfied. HATERS GONNA HATE. I'm very satisfied with this story. It was a little weird at points but I chalk that up to it being a script. Not a book. A script for a play meant to be seen on stage. I pray and hope it will come to NYC Broadway, as is speculated. You can bet I'll be seeing this if it come to NYC. Multiple times. As many chances as I can.

I liked this and I'm glad it was published. I have no regrets and I'm very, very happy <3

Mischief Managed.
HEATHER  C.
HEATHER C.
J.K. Rowling can write a dictionary with Harry Potter illustrations and I would love it, truly love it! I adore the Harry Potter books and I love the movies,this was different and fast to read as the book is a script but it had excitement ! It was entirely nostalgic to read and relive the old crew again in a different time !As a person who grew up with Harry Potter in my thirties, I feel like I grew up with Harry Potter and the crew, and with the advent of this book, I have, in fact, grown old with them. Of course It would be different than what I was expecting but over all, It was lovely to read how the children grew up and their spin on Hogwarts! It was like meeting old friends, some changes of course but I really enjoyed reading it. Harry Potter and the cursed child! Now I want more books and more movies !
heather c.
heather c.
I am a huge HP fan. My family knows it, my husband knows it, my kids know it, even my Pinterest and Instagram (@mrs.daisy.may) know it. So naturally I preordered this book as soon as Amazon had the listing up. I was upset that my copy wasn't the pretty back one with gold lettering that I had seen on YouTube but nonetheless it was the book. Wasn't sure how script reading would be, but after a few pages it wasn't much different than reading a novel. You already know what the world looks like, people, places, magic, etc. I have never read fanfiction but I imagine this is it. it was a good book, not a great one. You can totally tell JKR didn't write it. It did leave me wanting another novel to read still. HP Always!
Shannon T.
Shannon T.
Portland, OR
I am a huge Harry Potter fan and was thrilled to hear that there was just a little more to it. I'm a huge Shakespeare fan as well so the script format wasn't hard to follow. It's a fairly short read compared to the Harry Potter books, even the first few. Let's start out with me saying that I don't regret reading this book. The book seemed very choppy overall, there could have been a lot more to it. Each part seemed like one of those childhood drawings that you do a little bit and hand it off to someone else and then back to you. The ending seemed like it was just thrown together and there could have been more effort put into it. I think I had high expectations for this book and it wasn't met.
Athena K.
Athena K.
As others said, it's in script format. I know what I was getting into but for some reason others were surprised and felt the need to complain that it was unlike the other books. I enjoyed the read however I feel like some of the characters were scattered in lines and thought.. Just to get them into the script. Ron is one example. I do love Harry's son's friendship with an unexpected character. No spoiler here. It's a feel good script where, no surprises here - good does triumph evil. The series itself though was much stronger than the play itself which is meant to give us a glimpse into the potter bunch future and keep is hanging on a little longer
Angelina H.
Angelina H.
Louisville, KY
I really wanted to like this but it rushed so much. It took us to year 3 so fast and some of the characters didn't get to be developed. I also really wanted the gay romance to happen it felt like it was building to such a great romance except it never did. I hated that Hermione without Ron wouldn't have accomplished anything great. I felt like some of the storylines didn't add up. Hermione was so strong and even with loving Ron I believe she could have still have had a strong position if they didn't end up together. I did love reading it and getting taken back to such a magical time. I just wish I got more out of it.
Kady E.
Kady E.
J. K. Rowling did NOT disappoint with the newest edition of Harry Potter. I absolutely loved the twist and surprises she and her co-writers put in! So much was unexpected and you couldn't help but think "Wow! That just happened!?" Haha! It was so different than the Harry Potter series, yet you could still feel the connection between them. I loved that about it because this story was not so centered around Harry Potter so I liked that it felt different. I loved getting to revisit so many characters and where they are now or could have been if things had been different. It really is a great book!
Alex H.
Alex H.
I am so excited that this was released as a book! I live all things Harry Potter and this is truly a new and unique way to see Harry's future. It's hard to get used to the script format at first, but eventually you get used to it, even if it leaves out some of the beautiful writing and description were used to with Rowling. The story line is also maybe not what you'd expect.. There are definitely still the same themes and ideas in the new world but many things are also so different. Go into with an open mind and I'm sure that you'll love it.
Megan H.
Megan H.
Coraopolis, PA
Did anyone go to a midnight release party for this?
Nida S.
Nida S.
Okay so who ordered this book and how excited are you to read it???? Or are you a little nervous like me? Scared it might affect your love of HP?
Savannah L.
Savannah L.
Franklin, TN
I decided to re-read the entire series before this came out but I got a little behind. I'm excited to read it. I must ask, however, did this book make you as emotional as the Deathly Hallows? (No spoilers pls!)
Kelsie A.
Kelsie A.
Danville, KY
I was wondering what this book is like I'm thinking about reading it I loved the others but I'm not sure how I'll feel about a screenplay! Is this worth my time?
Megan S.
Megan S.
Is this book worth reading? I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan, but I just don't know if I can read this. I own the book, but I'm afraid that it won't be as good as the others.