BY NONE #66 in Books

• Did anyone else feel like it was almost like reading fanfiction? ...2 Answers
  • I decided to re-read the entire series before this came out but I...5 Answers
  • what's the word on this book ? I am a HP nerd and I feel like I w...3 Answers
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One & Two (Special Rehearsal Edition Script): The Official Script Book of the Original West End Production
Buy on Target
Elizabeth R.
Linwood, NC
Harry is a sweet boy who has had a very hard luck life and I loved the fact he finally found his own way through the world. The characters had depth and compassion as well as being like any other normal children (excluding the magical powers of course) and I loved how everyone was so supportive of Harry while he fights Voldemort.
Michelle M.
I’m a huge Harry Potter fan so I desperately wanted to like this but I just couldn’t. It seems really fan-fiction-y. And there seemed to be a lot of like ret-conning. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend buying the book to be honest, but I’d recommend maybe checking it out from the library...
Yolexis C.
Don’t get me wrong. I️ am a HUGE MUGGLE. But the book did not grab my attention at all. Considering the fact that it was written as a play...(huge mistake) It just felt wrong. It was all over the place and there were just parts that I️ could not imagine in my head. It was very scattered. I️ love Harry Potter but this wasn’t one of the greatest.
Becky R.
Ogden, UT
The story in this is good but it just doesn't have the feeling of Harry Potter. Part of this is because it is written as a play and part of this is because it is not actually written by JK Rowling herself. Interesting plot and I like the things that they did, but it just felt lackluster in comparison to the Harry Potter series.
Felicia c.
Bookworm Expert
I love Harry Potter but this book was mundane with not a lot of magic. It focused on the time turner so much and it was a lot of time traveling and felt like a fan fiction. I know it’s a play so they don’t have a lot of inner monologue but I was really disappointed because I LOVE HARRY POTTER.
Krystal M.
Lolo, MT
I absolutely love the Harry Potter books, but this? Not so much. It doesn't have the whole Harry Potter vibe, it's very much like a fanfic. It's overall a good book I guess, but I wouldn't connect it to Harry Potter.
Edna F.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a great story. I feel it makes a good continuation of the last series and the new characters are very interesting. If you love Harry Potter, then definitely give this book a try.
jessica n.
Allentown, PA
I enjoyed reading this but didn't completely love it. It was nice seeing some of my favorite characters and I adored Scorpius, however some parts were too far fetched for me.

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Here is what I find unbelievable.
1. Delphi is the daughter of Bellatrix and Voldemort. What? No really. WHAT?!? Bellatrix had her before the Battle of Hogwarts, so why have we never heard or seen pregnant Bellatrix. Second, I never really got any mutual romantic vibes from those characters. I always pictured her pretty much fangirling over him and him well, not. In my mind Voldemort is asexual. I feel that bit was added in for drama and wasn't executed well. At all.

2. Scorpius asked Rose out on a date. This is a trivial thing for me to not agree with, but throughout the entire story, I assumed Scorpius was gay. The jealousy over Albus & Delphi, some of their interactions. I kinda thought he would ask Albus out (which probably would have made me give this book that 5th star.)

Overall, I found this to be an easy, entertaining read. I was hesitant to start it after reading so many horrible reviews and knowing that it was in script form, however, after a few pages the script dialogue didn't bother me. I would love to see the play in the future or see it turned into a movie.
Kristine O.
Marrero, LA
Say what you will about Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, (and I have heard mixed reviews), if you think about this in the format that it was intended for, I think you can appreciate it. I took theater classes in High School and was able to visualize what this would look like as a play, which I think made my reading experience better. It's not a novel and you can't go into it thinking that that's what it is going to be like. I know some people absolutely hated it and think that anyone who liked it isn't a true fan, but I really do think it's all in how you visualize the play happening. That said, there were some issues in characterization that I won't go into for fear of spoiling it for people, but I'll chalk that up to it not being entirely written by JK Rowling.
Jennifer M.
I really wanted to fall in love with this book as much as I did with the original series, but I felt like it was a bit of a grasp on trying to continue the story..
Megan H.
Coraopolis, PA
Did anyone go to a midnight release party for this?
Kelsie A.
Danville, KY
I was wondering what this book is like I'm thinking about reading it I loved the others but I'm not sure how I'll feel about a screenplay! Is this worth my time?
Savannah L.
Franklin, TN
I decided to re-read the entire series before this came out but I got a little behind. I'm excited to read it. I must ask, however, did this book make you as emotional as the Deathly Hallows? (No spoilers pls!)
Nida S.
Okay so who ordered this book and how excited are you to read it???? Or are you a little nervous like me? Scared it might affect your love of HP?
Deanna K.
Caledonia, ON
I really want to read this but I've read mix reviews. Should I or shouldn't I?