BY NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF & SHERYL WUDUNN

• "It is a well written and researched book." in 2 reviews
  • "I heard the author speak about it several years ago and afterwards I went right out and bought it." in 1 review
Toni Marie D.
Vallejo, CA
This is a beautifully written book about gender inequality and the strughles of women from around the world. I love they share the stories of strughle, heartache and pain in a time where hope is what is needed during injustices. This book opened my eyes to a lot of oppression that women experience around the world.
Tamara D.
PORTSMOUTH, OH
Bookworm Expert Level 2
This isn't a novel in the typical sense. It is a journey through the lives of women overcoming incredible hardships and how these woman fought to have better lives. It is in chapter format that highlights the authors experiences with different women in second world countries. It offers ways in which you can become involved as well. Its a life changer.
Kate J.
Orlando, FL
This book should be read by every person in America. Before this book, I personally had not heard of many of the horrors that happen to women in other countries. This book opened my eyes to the horrible things happening to women and children, as well as the heroes all over the world trying to put a stop to the horrors. Also, it discusses what each and every person can do to help.
It's a nicely paced work that has only pertinent figures and numbers. The authors want the readers to learn and be touched, not to confuse or bore.
Overall, this should be read by everyone in order for all to get a true perspective of women and gender roles throughout the world.
Ashley K.
I read this book for a Feminism class in college. I have been meaning to re-read it because it is very inspiring. Half the Sky is full of honest, heart-wrenching stories about women all over the world. If you're not interested in something like that, don't read it. If you want to feel, to get motivated to make a difference in the world, to see beyond your Facebook and Netflix windows, read this book. It gets into the gory details and shoves injustice in your face. It is an eye-opener. Open the book and keep an open mind. You probably don't even realize what goes on in the world. I didn't before I read this.
Rachel W.
There are few books that have literally changed my life and how I see the world, but this is one of them. It's amazing to think about what millions of women in other parts of the world are enduring, but the issues that the authors cover are ones that we need our eyes opened to. Just because we don't see it happening here doesn't mean it's happening. This book has led to a renewed desire to be more involved in activism for international women's issues. Everyone - man or woman, no matter where you live - should read this.
Madison I.
Fort Thomas, KY
SUCH A GREAT BOOK. Always recommend it to people. I want to give my copy away to everyone for them to read it, but I want to read it again! I always hear stories, or see things in social media, but to completely immersed in someone else's journey and read about it is life changing. I also love that the book cites multiple nonprofits and organizations that we can help or donate to as their mission is to help the same women you're reading about.
Kyleigh W.
Lansing, MI
I was taking an African Literature class and chose to watch Half the Sky as one of my assignments. As soon as I watched it, my life seriously changed. I ordered the book so I could learn even more. The horrors that are uncovered in this book are extremely eye-opening. This book brings to light the mistreatment of women across the world. I am really fortunate to be in a position where I can help promote and make the public aware of the horrible circumstances the women in this book have to endure.
Sarah M.
Minneapolis, Mn
This is an incredible book that gives detailed and extremely heart wrenching but realistic stories of women in different counties experiencing many types of difficulties. The authors were personally involved in the stories so the emotions are definitely present. I really suggest this book!
kat m.
Austin, TX
I read this book for an International Relations class in college.
Each chapter is about a different girl and what they're doing to survive in the country they're living in. It's really inspiring to see these girls/women persevere the awful circumstances. It made me extremely grateful to grow up in a country where I had the opportunity to get an education and work irregardless of my gender.
Holly W.
Lockport , NY
I've studied international relations and development but the reason I love this book is that it clearly and expertly explains very difficult and complex reality of women'r rights in the world. It so well written and moving. it is amazing and I recommend it to everyone! It isn't exploitative of the women and they focus on education and empowerment.....it's just wonderful!
Kelly G.
Omaha, NE
Has anyone else seen the documentary of this? it is life changing.
Lisa C.
Montreal
Where can I find it Ps: I live in Canada
Krysten H.
Bookworm Expert Level 2
Is this good? I'm looking for a new book.