BY HAGEN

The enhanced design of the Fluval 406 Canister Filter; has improved performance; reliability; and noise reduction over earlier generation Fluval filters. The square design; and complex water flow pathways; utilizes the entire canister space for increased media-to-water contact. Increased motor power; strenthened priming and lift lock handles; and improved sound dampening make the Fluval 406 a unique step-above other canister filters. Multi-stage filtration houses chemical and biological media in separate modules; so biological media stays untouched when you perform maintenance on your filter. The revolutionary AquaStop System makes cleaning and maintenance leak proof and mess free by stopping water without disconnecting hoses. Sound dampening impeller design; with ceramic bushings; prevents noisy distractions from your aquarium; making the Fluval 406 the perfect choice for any location. Hose lock nuts and a heavy duty impeller cover ensure secure connection and prevent breakage. Lift-lock clamps seal the lid remarkably tight but release easily to open the filter. Manual siphoning is a thing of the past with Instant Prime technology. Filter also features intake strainer; pre-assembled parts; and pre-packed media for a complete installation package. The Fluval 406 canister filter is rated for aquariums up to 100 gallons; and has a maximum flow rate of 383 gph. See the manufacturer's User Manual for complete product information. see more...

Rose N.
Flu cal canister are pretty decent. I have these on my reef tank and it works just fine...
Cynthia C.
I really have nothing to compare this canister filter to, as this is the first canister filter I've ever had. I bought it when I set up my 55 gallon freshwater tank and after much research and after I'd grown tired of constantly buying filter cartridges on several different types of hang-on-back filters, I decided to make the change to a canister. I got this filter set up (which was rather simple) and operating, I have decided I will never go back to a HOB filter for this large of a tank again! The water quality is absolutely superb, crystal clear, and with all of the various stages of filtration, I am certain I've never had such healthy fish or plants! Even after stirring up the substrate during a water change, after I plug the filter back in, the water is cleared in less than 2 minutes. The hoses are a little bit too rigid, though, which makes it kind of hard to attach to the holders...you definitely have to have some strong hands to keep the hose's shape to secure it in the holder to be attached to the tank. The canister itself is QUITE heavy when you go to drain it, obviously since it's been filtering water. You'll be quite surprised how dirty the floss filters were (well, mine were) after a couple months of use. All of the parts disassemble easily and can be cleaned under the tap. Just make sure you don't wash away all of your beneficial bacteria!
I love this filter, and I hope it lasts a LONG LONG time! If/when I have to replace, I will definitely get another Fluval. It is SUPER SUPER quiet!
Alyssa B.
Fluvel is a very good brand. I love external filters, they work so good. awesome
Kim C.
Howden, Livingston
Pet Lover Expert
I have a 190l tank would this be good for me? I have 7 yellow labs just now and a plec but never find my tank is as crystal clear as I'd like it to be.