Add a Photo

By GUARDIAN REPELLENT

We Beat DEET™! Join the Movement.

No more trade-offs between safety and efficacy. Now you can rely on a nature-derived solution for the protection you would previously only get from a DEET product. Guardian Wilderness 8-Hour Insect Repellent is DEET-free and scientifically proven to exceed traditional 15% DEET against mosquitoes and perform equal to 25% DEET against ticks. Get protection from biting insects without compromising what you apply to you and your family’s skin.

Guardian Wilderness is a tough, reliable repellent for those whose playground is the outdoors. Guardian is plant-based and non-toxic.

Photos (14)
Christine P.
Christine P.
Works well for long periods of time. I find it ideal for high mosquito times and on properties with chiggers. However, skin may react (mine did). Shower immediately afterwards. And follow with a safe and anti-allergen lotion.
Stacey B.
Stacey B.
San Mateo, CA
A great product for hiking/camping/travel. I apply all over in the morning, then carry a 'travel sized' bottle to reapply if I've been out all day/sweating.
Iris R.
Iris R.
Brooklyn , NY
April 24, 2017, 6:17 p.m.
Review for: Guardian Wilderness 8-Hour Repellent
This is the best repellent. I love going outdoors in the summer but I am allergic to mosquitoes and I could never find a repellent that will work for me until my best friend told me about the guardian wilderness repellent and I most say I took it with me to camping and I was for the first time enjoy myself without worrying tht I was going to get swollen
Kaaila K.
Kaaila K.
Mesa, AZ
My family always uses this when we go camping, hiking, or horseback riding. Works very well. It stinks for a while but the way it works outweighs the temporary smell.
Hilary L.
Hilary L.
Clarksville, TN
Works great for a long period of time, sometimes more or less than 8 hours, but with most of the time different products have me reapplying much sooner. Would recommend for any hiking/camping trip.
Jaeda K.
Jaeda K.
Lakewood, OH
This was my first box, so I was super excited. I wasn't even sure what DEET was, so I researched it and was relieved to learn that this product wasn't going to make smell like all my childhood camping trips (bugs took a liking to me so my parents bathed me in that stuff). The product, although strong smelling at first, was much better than your typical spray. Although I haven't spent a day in the woods, I did spend it outside among trees through a park and didn't get a single bite. I'll definitely use this again as it is a much more pleasant alternative.
Stefanie D.
Stefanie D.
It almost feels like its nourishing your skin with its thin, lightly moisturizing feel. Very refreshing, non-greasy application.
Richard B.
Richard B.
Hudson, MA
This basically comes in two flavors, a 4 hour "back garden" variety or the one I got, a 8 hour "wilderness" variety.

I've had it a few weeks now and have used it on myself and the kids, 3 and 6 years old in quite a few hikes in and around the area, some of which are pretty mozzy intense spots and this has worked really well. I don't know about the claim to last 8 hours but it certainly does last the afternoon of hiking and sweat.

The kids say it smells like marshmallows, I think it has a slight citron smell about it. It's neither unpleasant but not particularly pleasant either, well it won't replace your deodorant. That said, it covers pretty well but has a oily kind of feel that's quite shiny. Unlike other products that rely on deet, this seems to still work really well if you miss a spot. As it is quite oily though, I wouldn't recommend spraying this anywhere near your car or if you've got glasses on, to take them off as it's a mare to wipe up and you don't want to be grabbing your phone straight after. The other issue with this is the dispenser, which works well when sprayed held out while level, but it really doesn't like to spray when tilted over, especially on its side or upside down, making it a little tricky to spray around your ankles.

The other thing I've noticed, when using this at a park, it didn't repel flying ants at all and it seemed to attract the bee's. That said, you could see the mozzies coming towards you but never getting touching you. I can't speak for ticks as I never noticed any where we hiked but I've not been bitten since using this.

It's certainly over kill if you're just playing out in the back garden, but then this particular spray isn't meant for that and they have a weaker, 4 hour spray that is probably more suited.

One thing the label doesn't mention that I noticed is how long this spray will last, there's no use by date or recommendation to the shelf life of the product. For $7 on Amazon, it's certainly worth getting though if you're out and about a lot in the woods.
Joel M.
Joel M.
Kansas City, KS
I was pleasantly surprised after trying on the Guardian Wilderness 8 hour protection as I didn't know what to expect. I went deep in the brush and right by the woods with sandals on hiking around with this non-deet product sprayed on my feet, ankles and bottom of my legs. I didn't get bit once and most bugs seemed repelled from me entirely. I know some have complained of the smell but compared to other sprays, I think the smell is great and smells good. The only downside for me was that it was kind of oily and tended to collect grass, seeds, pollen and dust on my legs and ankles when I walked around... then again, I WAS in the wilderness. I will be using this every time I'm outside for extended periods of time.
Douglas N.
Douglas N.
Bellport, NY
I leave this in my camper because we do a lot of beach and woods camping. The smell is overpowering at first but trails off after a few minutes. This product worked great!!
Rose C.
Rose C.
How many wish the bottle was a little bigger? Or a different shape and sprayer?
steven r.
steven r.
Kennewick, WA
My first voxbox, I am pretty stoked to try this. Love the outdoors. Does anyone know if this has a bad scent?
Jenna B.
Jenna B.
Just received this in my very first VoxBox! I can't wait to try it, but I am wondering if it is safe to spray some on my dog to avoid ticks?
Amanda G.
Amanda G.
Pasadena, TX
Who else thought the smell was a little strong?
Adeline P.
Adeline P.
Tavares, FL
Does anyone think it smells really bad?