BY GUARDIAN REPELLENT

We Beat DEET™! Join the Movement.

No more trade-offs between safety and efficacy. Now you can rely on a nature-derived solution for the protection you would previously only get from a DEET product. Guardian Wilderness 8-Hour Insect Repellent is DEET-free and scientifically proven to exceed traditional 15% DEET against mosquitoes and perform equal to 25% DEET against ticks. Get protection from biting insects without compromising what you apply to you and your family’s skin.

Guardian Wilderness is a tough, reliable repellent for those whose playground is the outdoors. Guardian is plant-based and non-toxic.

Guardian Wilderness 8-Hour Repellent
  • "Works great for a long period of time, sometimes more or less than 8 hours, but with most of the time different products have me reapplying much sooner." in 9 reviews
  • "I also had a veterinarian appointment for my Black Labrador Bella the day before and asked her since this is a non-toxic, deet free, formula." in 7 reviews
  • "It's pretty good at keeping bugs off me (I got away bite free, but I can't tell if that's luck or the repellent)." in 7 reviews
  • "Used while I was camping right after I received it in my voxbox for free it kept the bugs away while fishing and hiking." in 6 reviews
  • "The first thing I would say is that it smells much nicer than any other bug spray I have used before and after 3 hours outside and no bites, it also works -- no bites!" in 6 reviews
Christine P.
Works well for long periods of time. I find it ideal for high mosquito times and on properties with chiggers. However, skin may react (mine did). Shower immediately afterwards. And follow with a safe and anti-allergen lotion.
Richard M.
Fairfield, CA
We received the Guardian Deet free 8 hour spray complimentary from Influenster. We were very excited to get picked to test this particular product since living in North Idaho we come across quite a few bugs. On top of the bugs that are already here in the neighborhoods, we geocache as a family which leads us into open fields, and heavily wooded areas. We have been bit quite a few times recently while out and about, and especially for my 3 year, getting bit does not create a fun experience.
Once we got the Deet Free spray from Influenster and Guardian, we decided to plan a day of geocaching. The day finally came, and we went to Rathdrum, Idaho to see what different types of places we could test the 8 hour spray. First we went to an industrial area where we had to walk through an open field that had plants/weeds up to our knees. We decided this was a good place to apply the spray. We only needed a couple pumps for each person to cover the exposed skin. I also sprayed one pump to each of our shoes/ankle area on our pants so we didn't get an pesky hitchhikers. The first thing all 3 of us noticed was the smell. This deet free spray had a completely different scent than any other spray I have ever smelled. It has almost a vanilla smell, which my 3 1/2 yr old instantly commented on. So we traveled through this open field, guess what, no bites! Next we went to a Chinese Cemetery that was in an open lot, but still had a lot of plants. No bites! Last we went to a heavily wooded area where we had to walk into tons of trees, again, left with no bites!
Unfortunately we don't get to enjoy the outdoors for as long as we would like because my daughter and girlfriend get bit by bugs often, and the bites swell quickly and painfully. It was a very nice change to be able to go out and not get bitten by bugs. With this 4oz bottle only being $6.99 and being as effective as it has been, we will continue to buy/use this product.
Thanks Guardian for creating a great product, and thank Influenster for giving us a complimentary bottle to test and review!
(We did receive this product free, however the opinions in this review are 100% authentic to my family)
Richard B.
Hudson, MA
This basically comes in two flavors, a 4 hour "back garden" variety or the one I got, a 8 hour "wilderness" variety.

I've had it a few weeks now and have used it on myself and the kids, 3 and 6 years old in quite a few hikes in and around the area, some of which are pretty mozzy intense spots and this has worked really well. I don't know about the claim to last 8 hours but it certainly does last the afternoon of hiking and sweat.

The kids say it smells like marshmallows, I think it has a slight citron smell about it. It's neither unpleasant but not particularly pleasant either, well it won't replace your deodorant. That said, it covers pretty well but has a oily kind of feel that's quite shiny. Unlike other products that rely on deet, this seems to still work really well if you miss a spot. As it is quite oily though, I wouldn't recommend spraying this anywhere near your car or if you've got glasses on, to take them off as it's a mare to wipe up and you don't want to be grabbing your phone straight after. The other issue with this is the dispenser, which works well when sprayed held out while level, but it really doesn't like to spray when tilted over, especially on its side or upside down, making it a little tricky to spray around your ankles.

The other thing I've noticed, when using this at a park, it didn't repel flying ants at all and it seemed to attract the bee's. That said, you could see the mozzies coming towards you but never getting touching you. I can't speak for ticks as I never noticed any where we hiked but I've not been bitten since using this.

It's certainly over kill if you're just playing out in the back garden, but then this particular spray isn't meant for that and they have a weaker, 4 hour spray that is probably more suited.

One thing the label doesn't mention that I noticed is how long this spray will last, there's no use by date or recommendation to the shelf life of the product. For $7 on Amazon, it's certainly worth getting though if you're out and about a lot in the woods.
Scott M.
Racine, WI
Being a skeptic to any Deet free insect repellants, I was at first a bit apprehensive. My yard at home has an abundance of plants and flowers that I garden every year, lots of shaded areas and the largest mosquito attractor, my swimming pool. The first thing I noticed when testing this amazing product, was the scent. Being an avid Deet heavy insect repellent user, I'm used to the harsh smell, but this, this was lovely. Guardian 8-Hour has a very nose friendly, mildly sweet, scent. Oh, whats that amazing feeling? It almost feels like its nourishing your skin with its thin, lightly moisturizing feel. Very refreshing, non-greasy application. No need to feel like you have to instantly run your hands under warm, soapy water, in fear of accidentally touching your eyes or worse your mouth with the awful taste of Deet. My family and I spent all Labor Day outside grilling, swimming and playing yard games. I am now confident in saying that I have gone to the 'Dark Side'. I'm sold. The Guardian 8-Hour held up to its promises. I stayed bite free for over 8 hours in a medium mosquito heavy yard. Did I mention it even kept working after a 30 minute swim with no re-application necessary? I also had a veterinarian appointment for my Black Labrador Bella the day before and asked her since this is a non-toxic, deet free, formula. If it would be safe for dogs. She read the label over and saw nothing that could harm my big beautiful Bella. To be safe she suggested just spraying her collar lightly and letting it dry before putting it back on her. Bella also had a wonderful Labor Day, with no irritating bugs trying to get her.
Iris R.
BROOKLYN, NY
This is the best repellent. I love going outdoors in the summer but I am allergic to mosquitoes and I could never find a repellent that will work for me until my best friend told me about the guardian wilderness repellent and I most say I took it with me to camping and I was for the first time enjoy myself without worrying tht I was going to get swollen
Jessie K.
Richmond, VA
I received this in a Backyard VoxBox. I have a sort of mixed opinion of this insect repellent. I used it while sitting on my back deck one evening this week. There were so many mosquitoes out that night. On the one hand, this insect repellent smells like someone is baking cookies and that is a lovely scent...for a while anyways. I kind of got tired of the scent by the end of the night. I felt like there were still a lot of mosquitoes around me - I do not know if this is related to the scent of the spray or not. However, I ended my night mosquito bite free! I was surprised honestly. When I kept seeing so many bugs around me after applying the insect repellent, I thought for sure I would be eaten alive, but they seemed to come close to me without actually landing on me or biting me. Overall, I would say I am happy with this product. I think the scent could be improved, though the vanilla-y scent of is still much better than many other insect repellents. I would prefer if the bugs stayed away from me all together, but I will give credit to this spray for preventing the bugs from biting me.
Neil P.
Garden City, NY
Joel M.
Kansas City, KS
I was pleasantly surprised after trying on the Guardian Wilderness 8 hour protection as I didn't know what to expect. I went deep in the brush and right by the woods with sandals on hiking around with this non-deet product sprayed on my feet, ankles and bottom of my legs. I didn't get bit once and most bugs seemed repelled from me entirely. I know some have complained of the smell but compared to other sprays, I think the smell is great and smells good. The only downside for me was that it was kind of oily and tended to collect grass, seeds, pollen and dust on my legs and ankles when I walked around... then again, I WAS in the wilderness. I will be using this every time I'm outside for extended periods of time.
Jenna B.
I received this product in my very first VoxBox compliments of Influenster! I just recently used this spray & was extremely pleased by the results. I went hiking in an area with a high mosquito population and none bit me nor even landed on me! I was extremely happy about that because I was apprehensive & nervous to shy away from my normal bug spray. The downside of this product is the strong odor and oiliness of the product. I was going to let my brother borrow this spray to go hunting, but I'm afraid to let him do that due to the smell. Given the effectiveness of this product along with the fact it is deet free, I would purchase & use the spray again. It can be purchased on Amazon for just $6.99!
Sarah K.
Laurium, MI
I received this product free from Influenster for testing and review purposes. I want to start by saying that I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where the bugs are HORRIBLE! I used to always shop for the highest DEET product I could find just to enjoy the outdoors. Even though I always wished I could find a DEET free bug spray that would be better for the environment and my health nothing was effective enough. I had pretty much given up when I got the chance to test this product for free. It worked exceptionally well on my hiking trip and I felt so much better about using it! It completely exceeded my expectations and I will be using it again in the future!
Rose C.
How many wish the bottle was a little bigger? Or a different shape and sprayer?
steven r.
Kennewick, WA
My first voxbox, I am pretty stoked to try this. Love the outdoors. Does anyone know if this has a bad scent?
Jenna B.
Just received this in my very first VoxBox! I can't wait to try it, but I am wondering if it is safe to spray some on my dog to avoid ticks?
Adeline P.
Tavares, FL
Great Outdoors Expert
Does anyone think it smells really bad?
Amanda G.
Who else thought the smell was a little strong?