Michelle R.
Michelle R.
Hagerstown, MD

Have any of you won books in the Goodreads giveaways? Do you feel obligated to review them? I won a book I just couldn't get into - I tried my best but the plot wasn't interesting and it left me confused. Would you leave a review for a book you couldn't finish or just let it go?
Katie H.
Katie H.
Feb. 20, 2016, 11:41 a.m.
I believe you have to review the book if you win it through a giveaway. I would just be honest if you couldn't get through it. that's what people want to know!
Jamie F.
Jamie F.
Dec. 21, 2014, 3:18 a.m.
I do feel like I should review books that I've won, but they go on the back burner and I will review them when I can. I would actually message the author before leaving a negative review. Authors are very understanding and sometimes a book is just not someone's cup of tea. Just because you couldn't finish it though, doesn't necessarily mean that it is deserving of a negative review. I mean sometimes a book just sucks, bad writing or plot, but if you step outside your regular genre for a book, or it's a slow starter and you aren't patient, that doesn't necessarily make it bad.
Lauryn E.
Lauryn E.
Aug. 5, 2014, 8:44 a.m.
I have received a book from Goodreads that I couldn't get into. No I didn't feel obligated to review it but I did end up reviewing it explaining why I didn't finish. I think that any reviews are helpful, many authors welcome a few negative reviews or even constructive criticism!
Stacia B.
Stacia B.
Aug. 5, 2014, 1 a.m.
I also didn't know about their giveaways. I will have to look for this next time I am on the site.
Amy K.
Amy K.
Aug. 3, 2014, 12:36 p.m.
I had no clue they did giveaways. If you weren't able to finish the book you can give it a review based on what you read and explain why you couldn't finish it.
Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.
July 30, 2014, 3:50 p.m.
I did not even know that they did giveaways. I am definitely going to look into that now. Thanks!

Join Now