BY GOODBYE FOR NOW

Jennifer D.
Brownsburg, IN
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. I think there is a high chance that this story could have come off as being creepy - but luckily it wasn't creepy at all. At least to me. I think it was a little freaky, being able to "talk" to dead loved ones is a bit weird. But the more I read the story the more I understood what these people were doing and it became a little less weird. I do think that if we ever see this kind of technology it will create a lot of controversy though. And the book does go into a bit of that controversy and touches on both sides of it. So it was very well-rounded.

I loved the characters - real and otherwise. Sam was a likable guy - like many "nerds" he was often overlooked as boyfriend material. Then he found Meredith. Because they were matched on how well their personalities would mesh rather than how they looked their romance was true. Meredith loved Sam for who he was, not how he looked. And it made for a great romance. Their relationship is the kind that everyone dreams of having. They were truly the perfect fit for each other. They complimented each other so nicely. Where Sam was an introvert Meredith was an extrovert and helped open Sam up. Where Meredith was emotional Sam helped her talk through things and look at the whole picture. If the story had just been about their love it would have been a great story. But there was so much more to this than just being a love story.

The book deals with a controversial issue, and regardless of which side you agree with I think it's a book worth reading. It really does deal with both sides of the issue - those that don't think it's right, and those that do. The premise of the story is that you can talk to your loved ones after they've passed if they have a decent amount of online activity to build on. For people who are grieving being able to talk to that loved one just one more time can be the closure they need to move on with their lives. And yet there are those people who keep the lines of communication going for quite a while. Those people who come in looking for communication with their loved ones really become an integral part of the story. They're sharing something so intimate with each other, and they really do become their own little family. As much as I liked the love story between Sam and Meredith seeing the changing dynamics between the people there to speak with their loved ones was a great addition to the story.

I've been seeing that the movie rights for this one have already been picked up. I think that's awesome. It was a great book and I think it will make an amazing movie. It was wonderfully written, and as long as the screen play doesn't take too many liberties with the story it will be a great movie.
Nicole R.
Lawrence, MA
The premise of the book was very promising, especially with a story that seemed to relate to a wide variety of readers. There's promise of loneliness, love, meeting the right person, and hints of loss. I felt that Frankel did an excellent job in developing the main characters Sam and Meredith. At the end of the book, I felt a real connection with Sam and how he would feel after the events that transpired.

The book is split into 3 parts, with the first part telling a story of how Sam came to meet Meredith and how they influenced so many lives. The second part deals with the implications of their invention, and the third part deals primarily with loss and closure. Although seemingly complicated at first, with frequent dialogue between the characters, the pace was just right. Frankel covers a lot of ground but it never felt rushed or too dull.

There are a few funny moments primarily found in the interaction between Sam and Meredith, specifically the funny couple moments. There are also plenty of sad events, and this is where Frankel really shines. She can make tragic or disheartening events feel so real because of excellent imagery. The one scene where Sam meets some children in the hospital where they have terminal cancer, Frankel described one child as crying and clutching to a worn yellow stuffed rabbit. The image of that worn out stuffed rabbit enhances the scene significantly.
Rachel M.
Kansas City, MO
This book is both hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Frankel has a crisp writing style and wonderful sense of humor and irony. If it wasn’t for the dark, dry humor this would be an awfully depressing book. It is pretty much all about death and grieving after all.

Goodbye For Now raises so many thought-provoking questions in today’s social media age. Is chatting and emailing with a DLO (Departed Loved One) that much different from having purely electronic relationships with living people? Should RePose be used just for the short-term as a crutch in the grieving process? Or should it be used long-term as a means of honoring the DLO’s memory? Is using it long-term just prolonging the denial stage of grief – perhaps forever?

I’m not sure of the answer to any of these questions but I do know that I enjoyed this book immensely.
Sandra D.
Bookworm Expert Level 4
What if you could have one last conversation with someone you loved that has passed away? Knowing that it's not 'really' that person, but just a computer stimulation built up from your previous electronic communications, would you still want to tell them you loved them one more time? -- Such a lovely read. I enjoyed the plot and the love story of Sam and his 'soul mate' Meredith. The ending is touching but was a little predictable. Overall a very nice book to pick up.
Bonnie B.
Rego Park, NY
I read this book after seeing it listed on the Insfluenster book club badge area and I must say that I am really glad I did! I felt that this storyline was definitely unique and put a unique spin on not only love but on relationships in general. The part I liked most about this book was it kept me thinking about it long after I finished. I have already recommended this book to my friends and will continue to!
Tami L.
It was an easy read for me. I enjoyed the characters and it caught my attention quick
. If I'm not interested after a few pages I pass it off to someone else. But I did enjoy it and my girlfriends are now in the process of taking turns to read it.
Denia A.
I love this book, very entertaining, I cant finish a book if it doesn't catches my attention in the first chapter, and I was able to finish reading it. That itself tells me its a very interesting and has good material!
Tori S.
Little Chute, WI
This book would be good for teens to read for school book reports or school book clubs. The social media twist makes it modern to today and more relate-able. Nice easy to follow character set ups.
Brittany J.
Really good read. I couldn't put it down once I started. The book concept is not for everyone, but trying it out could lead to one of the better books you've read.
Lilly L.
Brooklyn, NY
It was quite an interesting book but it is for a certain taste. I like more romance and fiction with drama. This is about the after life and tho sad at times seems a little more school type
Kayla O.
Cabot, AR
Is this a book you would recommend?
Helene H.
What do you think of the cover? Without knowing what the book is about, would that make you buy it?
Dayna D.
Adairsville , Ga
Is this a quick read? Or a deep story?
tenisha a.
I'm judging this book by it's cover! it's so cute. has anybody read this book? worth the buy?
Edith O.
Upland, CA
Is this book for children?