BY NONE #72 in Movies

Hot-tempered, self-centered, part-Irish Southern beauty Scarlett O'Hara, played to the teeth by Vivien Leigh, loves the gentlemanly Ashley Wilkes (Leslie Howard). Smug, rebellious, honest, blockade-running profiteer Rhett Butler, portrayed gracefully and naturally by Clark Gable, loves Scarlett. Ashley, who is also in love with Scarlett, marries his genteel cousin Melanie (Olivia de Havilland) because he believes that their quiet similarities will create a better marriage than Scarlett's passion. Meanwhile, sparks fly between Rhett and Scarlett at their first encounter and continue throughout Scarlett's first two marriages. Scarlett and Rhett finally wed, but Scarlett continues to pine for her beloved Ashley. Set against the Civil War and Southern Reconstruction, this tragic love quadrangle offers the burning of Atlanta and fields of wounded Confederates as part of its lush scenery. Meticulous backdrops, glorious sunsets, numerous silhouettes, and the ultrasaturated Technicolor film create a hyperreal vision. The romantic score is every bit as lush and dramatic as the photography, borrowing folk melodies from the Old South to make the tragic war concrete. Heavy nostalgic tones pervade the often witty dialogue and larger-than-life charms and faults of the leads. GONE WITH THE WIND stands among the greatest epic dramas ever filmed. see more...

• I've never actually seen this film. Is it one of those classics t...4 Answers
  • What's your favorite part in this movie? 4 Answers
  • I've heard a lot about this movie but never really watch it, how ...4 Answers
Gone With the Wind - Special Edition (DVD)
  • "This Movie ❤ its everything 💕 It has Love and war , its full of passion, its a story about working harder, to do whatever to get ahead, its full of sadness and happiness, Scarlett and Rhett are made to be together💏 This is a MUST see!" in 2 reviews
  • "Even my 10 year old likes to watch it." in 1 review
Breana B.
Yes it is rare for young people to like classics but I am obsessed with this movie! Clark Gable was a real hottie! Also the Vivien Leigh what a woman! Love the plot! The set! The timeline and all the actors in the movie truly were amazing love this!
Tammy B.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Oh what a goodie this one is. I have seen this many times. If you haven't seen it please give it a try. Even though it's an older movie it's really entertaining.
Kimberly S.
Winston, OR
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
In one word amazing. This movie from beginning to end tells the story of a woman who goes from acting like a child to realizing she has more strength than she's ever known. Dealing with the hardships of starvation to war Scarlet becomes a woman at the end. Clark Gable's performance as well gives you as outstanding performance of make leading actor that will leave you breathless. Depicting some of the most harsh times in war that you'll ever imagine seeing laid out in a timeless memorable movie that everyone can enjoy. Absolutely love this movie.
Cat D.
Covington, KY
I fell in love with Gone With The Wind when I was a young girl. I read the book first and then later discovered the movie. Clark Gable is absolutely timelessly dreamy. The chemistry that flows between Scarlett and Rhett last decades and keeps you glued to the screen. It is a very long movie but it still leaves you wanting more at the end!
Felicia W.
Toledo, OH
This movie is a masterpiece! The colors in this film are spectacular. Scarlett's character is such an interesting one. She's a pretty terrible person, but you just love be her. I love when she finally realizes how much she truly loves Rhett. But then it's too late. He leaves her and instead of being completely broken, she vows to get him back. Tomorrow. Because after all, tomorrow is another day! Just brilliant!
Lauren C.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
There is a tradition in my family apparently when a girl becomes a woman (i.e. gets her period) she is made to watch Gone with the wind. When I was 12 yo and started mine my grandmother came over with this in VHS saying it was time to watch it. I never understand the correlation between the two but thankfully I did enjoy the movie. Scarlett can be annoying at times but she's a spoiled brat so that's to be expected.
Isabele T.
Moore, SC
I don't own the special edition, but I've had the regular for some time now. The actors couldn't have been picked better. It's a knock-out performance. This was one of my favorites as a kid, and really got me into history- especially civil war era. It seems pretty historically accurate, and even have some suspense and romance. Must watch classic!
Michaella G.
North Augusta, SC
One of the films that is a must see! If you tell me you haven't seen this movie, that will encourage me to fix it! The movie is full of strong women and beautiful scenery. I never get tired of watching this film. Vivien Leigh and Olivia de Havilland are phénoménal!
Amy M.
Waterford, PA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I didn't watch this movie until last year, but I loved it. There's a reason it is a classic and well discussed! I find Scarlet incredibly relatable, struggling to find her way and get what she wants in a man's world. And the love stories throughout, both between people and Scarlet's home, are both feels-inducing and heartbreaking. I will watch it again.
Sun Valley, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I watched this when I was young. I thought I was a good movie, but didn't realise that it supposed to be more than just a good movie until I watched this again in Canadian history class in high school.

I love the indians people in the movie so much. Their hair is so fair and smooth. Lol
Tammie R.
Is this a musical?
Nida S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Does anyone secretly hate the main character? Scarlet O'Hara I mean. I think I might.....
Tanya O.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Does anyone know if they are selling the collection edition of this movie. It comes in a box with additional goodies.
Alysha L.
Great movie
Danesha M.
Centralia, WA
I've always wanted to watch this but the time has turned me off..can anyone tell me if this classic is one to watch and why do you love it?