Add a Photo

By GLOSSIER
#465 in Lipstick

Generation G. It’s a new kind of lip color that gives the look and finish of a stain, but that glides on and wears like a tinted balm. Because lipstick shouldn’t complicate your look. Premiering in four important shades designed to look amazing on everyone: two that subtly enhance your natural lip tone, and two for a more saturated look. The effect? Diffused, sheer matte goodness—just swipe it on. No liner, no blotting, no YouTube tutorial necessary.

Size: 0.04oz / 1.13g

Photos (9)
Kellie N.
Kellie N.

I typically don't wear lipstick unless I'm going out with my girlfriends or going out on a date. I didn't like how most lipsticks made it LOOK like I was wearing lipstick... I like to opt for the natural look. THIS product, however, is the closet thing you can get to natural lip color. It brightens and smooths your lips without screaming "I'm wearing a ton of lipstick, kiss me now!" I mean, if that's what you want to go for then great! But this lipstick is perfect for day time or night time wear, and fits flawlessly with any type of makeup routine.
Brandy B.
Brandy B.
Los Angeles, CA

LOVE IT. It's a sheer yet matte lip product-- it looks like you ate a Popsicle but no gloss at all. Very chic. Simple to apply, just slick it on. It will look darker under chapped lips so make sure to exfoliate prior-- that's just the nature of matte products. No sicky sweet flavor/smell, and a light feel. I layered two together for a custom stain, but they are fine on their own. They do NOT get much darker with more applied, but that is what I wanted-- the closer to natural, the better. An awesome product!
Rachel L.
Rachel L.
Shendoah Jct, WV

I have the Generation G in the shade 'Crush' and I love it. It's pigmented like a lipstick, but goes on like a lip balm. One of my favorite aspects of this product is how long lasting the formula is, I literally will forget I have this on and then look in the mirror hrs later and it will still look perfect. The shades are build-able so you can layer the lipstick to look as strong as you wish, which is nice because it makes it feel like I have multiple lipstick choices even though it's one product.
Lucy L.
Lucy L.
Brooklyn, NY

This lip stain is my go-to lip product and I especially love this product in the shade, Cake. I find Cake to be the perfect my lips but better product and I adore the peachy tones in it. The color is very buildable and not drying at all. The only minor problem I have is the packaging. The lip stick moves in the plastic tube and it does look cheap for what is legit cost. However, I would definitely buy this product again and I currently have Cake and Crush but would love to try all the shades.
Stacy C.
Stacy C.
Los Angeles, CA

For the longest time, I didn't want to be another person in love with the hype of Glossier. But, I am a huge fan of their Generation G and The Supers (Serums)! I purchased JAM, and love love it. Honestly, I usually pop some form of pigment onto my lips every single day. These sticks exist in a strange space between lipstick and tinted balm — they're matte, they have loads of pigment, and they wear like a dream. Who doesn't love that? Will definitely be purchasing more.
Lauren S.
Lauren S.
Portland, OR

The packaging could definitely be better: the lipstick moves around in the tube and ends up scraping off on the sides no matter how careful you are.

But 'cake' is a perfect sheer, peachy tint for when I want my lips to look healthy and moisturized but don't want to look like I have anything on them. "Lipstick" is maybe a misnomer for these products, but they're great products for a light tint and light dose of moisturizer with a really natural finish.
Victoria B.
Victoria B.
LOUISVILLE, KY

I got zip (bottom) and Leo (top). The matte finish looks great and feels like chapstick on your lips. Zip is a little darker than I thought it would be, so it's not great for a more natural look if that's what you're going for. I thought Leo would be a little too brown, but it looks amazing on and I wear it with little or no make up because it looks so natural. Pros: build-able, moisturizing, and long lasting. Would definitely purchase again!
Jamie B.
Jamie B.

I am so intimidated by traditional lipsticks. I hate when they smear or partially wear away and don't want to have to sneak away to do damage control in the bathroom. I thought for sure Generation G would overpromise and underdeliver as a more laidback lipstick but I was so pleasantly surprised! Buildable color like a tinted lip balm but without the extra oiliness/grease you get when you use extra lip balm.
Corinne B.
Corinne B.

Be aware, this is not a statement lip color. It is perfect if you aren't a lipstick person or if you just want a little by of color. I am not a huge fan of red lipstick, but I love my Gen G. I have it in two colors: Like and Crush. Like is a more natural pink color. It just enhances the natural color of my lips perfectly. Crush is more red. Perfect to amp up a simple look or to balance out a smoky eye.
Sarah T.
Sarah T.
Lakewood, OH

I have been wanting to try the Generation G lipsticks for SO long and finally added Jam to a recent order. I loved the formula, which almost looks like a stain, but was a little disappointed by the packaging. I was expecting it to be a little higher end for the $18 price point. I still want to try the other shades so I will be adding these to my wishlist for Christmas... I wish they had a sampler pack!
amrita d.
amrita d.
Sunnyvale, CA

Whats your favorite lipstick shade?
Cady G.
Cady G.
Phoenix, AZ

I love the effect, but I have noticed that the one i bought smells a little odd- has anyone else noticed that?
Silvia G.
Silvia G.
Eugene, OR

Does this look more like a cherry red, or a pink red?
Jo K.
Jo K.
Portland, OR

does it feel greasy or sticky?
Carlen Z.
Carlen Z.
Hamilton, NY

For some reason the surface of my generation G is really dry and seems to require some hard pressing for any product to get on my lips... does anyone else have this problem?

Join Now