Add a Photo

By GLOSSIER
#506 in Lipstick

Generation G. It’s a new kind of lip color that gives the look and finish of a stain, but that glides on and wears like a tinted balm. Because lipstick shouldn’t complicate your look. Premiering in four important shades designed to look amazing on everyone: two that subtly enhance your natural lip tone, and two for a more saturated look. The effect? Diffused, sheer matte goodness—just swipe it on. No liner, no blotting, no YouTube tutorial necessary.

Size: 0.04oz / 1.13g

Photos (3)
Kiana N.
Kiana N.
Charlottesvle, VA

I can't believe I bought into the hype of Glossier, because $18 seemed just way too expensive for a lip product I had never even tried before. I was afraid it would just be overhyped due to its great social media marketing. However, I took advantage of the sale they were having for first time customers and purchased JAM and CRUSH Generation G colors.. to be honest, I love them both. They can look natural, but you can also build the color up. I'm a big fan of tinted chap sticks and these look amazing. They've become a new staple for me. They're not super moisturizing, but they don't dry my lips out either, so I guess I feel ambivalent about the moisturizing component. My ONLY qualm is that the color needs to be reapplied often, or else it fades very daily. The good news is it doesn't come off easily (like on cups when you drink), it just fades. If you can afford the product, I think it's worth the buy. However if $18 per product is too much, there are other products out there.
Lorraine K.
Lorraine K.
Laguna Niguel, CA

This is my everyday lipstick, literally. When I am not planning on putting effort into my makeup for the day, this is always my go to. This is the first of its kind, (correct me if I'm wrong) there is nothing else like this on the market. What the general say about this lipstick is the truth. I use Like and it gives my lips a natural pink flush which is very flattering and not overpowering. It's matte and buildable! I love that about it! Two things though it does dry your lips (not too much) throughout the day. So I do put a lip balm either before or on top of the lipstick to help out with that. The packaging also could be better for the price. Other than that this is my current go to natural everyday lipstick.
Ariane M.
Ariane M.
New York, New York

I wish there were a shade between "Cake" and "Like". I thought "Like" would be the perfect everyday shade for me, but found it to be a bit too purple. The packaging needs work -- the plastic cap is not the easiest to open and close, and my entire lipstick flung out of it (and straight into the bathroom toilet, RIP). The products redeeming quality is its texture. I prefer matte lipsticks to glossy ones, but hate how cakey they can be on the lips. This is perfect for those who want to avoid that since the effect it gives you is more of a "popsicle stain" as I've read before, which is what makes this lipstick stand out from others and why I will give it another try.
Juliet B.
Juliet B.
Arlington, MA

I don't know how Glossier did it but they managed to create a matte, sheer, buildable lip stain that doesn't dry out my lips. I own Jam (a great berry shade) Crush (a sheer pinky red) and Like (super soft my lips but better pink.) And I love each. I re-purchased as soon as they were back on the site. Hydrating, lush, easy to apply (you barely need a mirror) with no noticeable taste or smell. Perfect summer lips that can build in coverage to be gorgeous as the weather gets colder.

Some day the plastic tube is a little cheap looking - I'm not bothered by it. I like the whole Glossier aesthetic and find it fits in well.
Anna K.
Anna K.
Brooklyn, NY

This is my favorite item I've purchased from Glossier. It's like a light matte tint on your lips, and I think is a color that would work well on most skin and lip colors, as it's semi-sheer and just makes your lips pinkish. I typically have a difficult time finding light pink shades that flatter me, but this one does the trick! I would use this after you've put on lip balm, otherwise it does get a little drying. Also, the stick fell out of the tube after I kept it in my jean jacket and it melted slightly... so that's just something to be careful of!
Kellie N.
Kellie N.

I typically don't wear lipstick unless I'm going out with my girlfriends or going out on a date. I didn't like how most lipsticks made it LOOK like I was wearing lipstick... I like to opt for the natural look. THIS product, however, is the closet thing you can get to natural lip color. It brightens and smooths your lips without screaming "I'm wearing a ton of lipstick, kiss me now!" I mean, if that's what you want to go for then great! But this lipstick is perfect for day time or night time wear, and fits flawlessly with any type of makeup routine.
Lucy L.
Lucy L.
Brooklyn, NY

This lip stain is my go-to lip product and I especially love this product in the shade, Cake. I find Cake to be the perfect my lips but better product and I adore the peachy tones in it. The color is very buildable and not drying at all. The only minor problem I have is the packaging. The lip stick moves in the plastic tube and it does look cheap for what is legit cost. However, I would definitely buy this product again and I currently have Cake and Crush but would love to try all the shades.
Lauren S.
Lauren S.
Portland, OR

The packaging could definitely be better: the lipstick moves around in the tube and ends up scraping off on the sides no matter how careful you are.

But 'cake' is a perfect sheer, peachy tint for when I want my lips to look healthy and moisturized but don't want to look like I have anything on them. "Lipstick" is maybe a misnomer for these products, but they're great products for a light tint and light dose of moisturizer with a really natural finish.
Jamie B.
Jamie B.

I am so intimidated by traditional lipsticks. I hate when they smear or partially wear away and don't want to have to sneak away to do damage control in the bathroom. I thought for sure Generation G would overpromise and underdeliver as a more laidback lipstick but I was so pleasantly surprised! Buildable color like a tinted lip balm but without the extra oiliness/grease you get when you use extra lip balm.
Sarah T.
Sarah T.
Lakewood, OH

I have been wanting to try the Generation G lipsticks for SO long and finally added Jam to a recent order. I loved the formula, which almost looks like a stain, but was a little disappointed by the packaging. I was expecting it to be a little higher end for the $18 price point. I still want to try the other shades so I will be adding these to my wishlist for Christmas... I wish they had a sampler pack!
amrita d.
amrita d.
Sunnyvale, CA

Whats your favorite lipstick shade?
Cady G.
Cady G.
Phoenix, AZ

I love the effect, but I have noticed that the one i bought smells a little odd- has anyone else noticed that?
Jo K.
Jo K.
Portland, OR

does it feel greasy or sticky?
Silvia G.
Silvia G.
Eugene, OR

Does this look more like a cherry red, or a pink red?
Elise B.
Elise B.

Has anyone else found reacting weirdly with their lips? I've been using regularly for a week and just noticed a bunch of bumps on my upper lip that weren't there before 😬

Join Now