Add a Photo

By GLOSSIER
#465 in Lipstick

Generation G. It’s a new kind of lip color that gives the look and finish of a stain, but that glides on and wears like a tinted balm. Because lipstick shouldn’t complicate your look. Premiering in four important shades designed to look amazing on everyone: two that subtly enhance your natural lip tone, and two for a more saturated look. The effect? Diffused, sheer matte goodness—just swipe it on. No liner, no blotting, no YouTube tutorial necessary.

Size: 0.04oz / 1.13g

Photos (9)
Kiana N.
Kiana N.
Charlottesvle, VA

I can't believe I bought into the hype of Glossier, because $18 seemed just way too expensive for a lip product I had never even tried before. I was afraid it would just be overhyped due to its great social media marketing. However, I took advantage of the sale they were having for first time customers and purchased JAM and CRUSH Generation G colors.. to be honest, I love them both. They can look natural, but you can also build the color up. I'm a big fan of tinted chap sticks and these look amazing. They've become a new staple for me. They're not super moisturizing, but they don't dry my lips out either, so I guess I feel ambivalent about the moisturizing component. My ONLY qualm is that the color needs to be reapplied often, or else it fades very daily. The good news is it doesn't come off easily (like on cups when you drink), it just fades. If you can afford the product, I think it's worth the buy. However if $18 per product is too much, there are other products out there.
Kimberly M.
Kimberly M.
San Francisco, CA

I love glossier and their "no makeup" branding but this stuff leaves something to be desired. As someone who loves lip stains and tints I was so hyped for this product as it appeared to be the end all be all makeup. But to be honest it's really glorified matte chapstick. I have "like" and "crush"- like is basically a pinky nude, it makes your lips look naturally flushed, and crush (my favorite) is a berry color. Glossier says its buildable but I find that once I put on the first two swipes the color kind of stops going on- also the wear time is not very long at all (eating anything is out of the question). Both of my lipsticks ended up falling it of the tubes... my least favorite glossier purchase. I would rather spend money on some tinted Nivea Chapstick or some other glossier product.
jade c.
jade c.
Madison, AL

This is without a doubt my favorite lip product at the moment - this is coming from someone who was RESURRECTED from the 2015-2016 "matte lip- kylie - FLEEKY- colourpop - overdrying - overlining" trend. The consistency of this product leaves your lips matte, but without all of the drying  at the end of the day. I's sheer, so, obviously it's build-able, but, one layer of this is just enough to give you a refreshing and realistic lippie look. I tried this product in "Jam" and it looks like my lips, but better, which is what I wanted! Not only that, but my lips still feel like actual human lips after application.Only problem? I've had my 'Jam' for a week and the product is loose already in the tubing and falls out. Regardless, this product would be worth purchasing again.
Lorraine K.
Lorraine K.
Laguna Niguel, CA

This is my everyday lipstick, literally. When I am not planning on putting effort into my makeup for the day, this is always my go to. This is the first of its kind, (correct me if I'm wrong) there is nothing else like this on the market. What the general say about this lipstick is the truth. I use Like and it gives my lips a natural pink flush which is very flattering and not overpowering. It's matte and buildable! I love that about it! Two things though it does dry your lips (not too much) throughout the day. So I do put a lip balm either before or on top of the lipstick to help out with that. The packaging also could be better for the price. Other than that this is my current go to natural everyday lipstick.
Ariane M.
Ariane M.
New York, New York

I wish there were a shade between "Cake" and "Like". I thought "Like" would be the perfect everyday shade for me, but found it to be a bit too purple. The packaging needs work -- the plastic cap is not the easiest to open and close, and my entire lipstick flung out of it (and straight into the bathroom toilet, RIP). The products redeeming quality is its texture. I prefer matte lipsticks to glossy ones, but hate how cakey they can be on the lips. This is perfect for those who want to avoid that since the effect it gives you is more of a "popsicle stain" as I've read before, which is what makes this lipstick stand out from others and why I will give it another try.
So for LIKE, i do like the color, but I think the packaging is cheap. My lipstick fell out after probably 10 times of using it. Pretty natural color. I think I enjoyed the idea and feeling more than I thought it actually looked good. I find this with a lot of glossier products actually. I've tried them all because I love the packaging and love their slightly different take on all these products, but in terms of the makeup I don't feel as though any of them specifically make me look better than another product I already have. I do like the idea that they are more natural looking - but I wish the ingredients were also more natural.
Juliet B.
Juliet B.
Arlington, MA

I don't know how Glossier did it but they managed to create a matte, sheer, buildable lip stain that doesn't dry out my lips. I own Jam (a great berry shade) Crush (a sheer pinky red) and Like (super soft my lips but better pink.) And I love each. I re-purchased as soon as they were back on the site. Hydrating, lush, easy to apply (you barely need a mirror) with no noticeable taste or smell. Perfect summer lips that can build in coverage to be gorgeous as the weather gets colder.

Some day the plastic tube is a little cheap looking - I'm not bothered by it. I like the whole Glossier aesthetic and find it fits in well.
Crystal K.
Crystal K.
East Haven, CT

I like these-but I have a few small issues.
I wear Jam.and although it's supposed to be a "stain with a balm-like texture" it's a little dry and it fades quickly.
But-if you pass it over your lips 2-3 times and just gently blot,you get a pretty "I've just had a popsicle" look. I have tried Cake,Like,and Jam.They're all pretty,but Jam is a rich purple-magenta that is very versatile.
They have recently repackaged them too,and although they're a bit pricey,you now get more product as well.
I would recommend Gen G lip stains (and mostly all other Glossier products).
Anne L.
Anne L.

I purchased this in "Crush." It's a really pretty pinkish color that does give a "popsicle stain" effect. It goes on light but you can build it up depending on how much color you want. It's very easy to apply straight from the tube. I detracted a star because I wish it lasted a little longer and it dries my lips out a little bit, but it's easy to touch up pretty much anywhere and I love the natural-ish look. I'm tempted to try another color but the $18 price tag is a bit of a deterrent. Overall, it's a great everyday lip product for me, and I recommend it.
Anna K.
Anna K.
Brooklyn, NY

This is my favorite item I've purchased from Glossier. It's like a light matte tint on your lips, and I think is a color that would work well on most skin and lip colors, as it's semi-sheer and just makes your lips pinkish. I typically have a difficult time finding light pink shades that flatter me, but this one does the trick! I would use this after you've put on lip balm, otherwise it does get a little drying. Also, the stick fell out of the tube after I kept it in my jean jacket and it melted slightly... so that's just something to be careful of!
amrita d.
amrita d.
Sunnyvale, CA

Whats your favorite lipstick shade?
Cady G.
Cady G.
Phoenix, AZ

I love the effect, but I have noticed that the one i bought smells a little odd- has anyone else noticed that?
Emily F.
Emily F.
Arlington , VA

How long does the color last and are there any suggestions for medium light olivey skin?
Carlen Z.
Carlen Z.
Hamilton, NY

For some reason the surface of my generation G is really dry and seems to require some hard pressing for any product to get on my lips... does anyone else have this problem?
Jo K.
Jo K.
Portland, OR

does it feel greasy or sticky?

Join Now