GladRags Washable Cotton Menstrual Pads

Does anyone have any experience with these and the period proof underwear that has a preference? I have the underwear, but I’m starting to not like them, because they smell strange even when they’re clean.
I am really out of the loop....looking for something for environment friendly. Are these a good option?
Are these safe for machine washable?
Start your review of GladRags Washable Cotton Menstrual Pads!
How would you rate this product?
Shenandoah, IA
I have been transitioning to a zero or low waste lifestyle and GladRags had been a huge help. I like that there is way less waste than traditional pads and pantyliners. They are also healthier than other products. Yes, the cost is quite a bit at first but they last about 5 years if properly taken care of and that means savings in the future. People may think it's gross but it's really not. I am so happy that I found these.
Chillicothe, IL
I switched over to cloth pads about 6 years ago, and since then have tried many different sellers. I don't actually find the removable inserts on this design helpful. to me it's just one more step, and one more thing to come apart. I don't generally do laundry in the middle of my cycle so I'd just as soon have some heavy and some light, just like I would have with disposable pads. Also, I've found that long term, cotton holds up better than flannel for me. That said, my favorite brand is partypantspads. com, they're thin, have an amazing selection of fabrics/designs and sizes, and use metal snaps (I've found the plastic snaps can warp over time, making the pads unusable before they otherwise would have been. TIPS: Get a darker design to hide any staining. I haven't had major staining issues, but it can happen. Use natural detergents and DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER, it will build up, lead to odors, and decrease absorbency. I've also seen some people suggest white vinegar, I've found that on the thicker pads the vinegar smell can pop back up when it gets wet (i.e. when you're using it), so I don't recommend that. I use molly's suds natural detergent, and add a little baking soda with my pads and it cleans very well. Other: disposable pads have a host of chemicals and bleaching agents which can affect your overall health. The chemicals are designed to draw in the menstrual fluid into the pad, and can actually increase a woman's flow, making her period both heavier and longer, and her cramps worse. They also don't break down well in landfills. Cloth pads don't have any of those issues, and after I switched I noticed a lighter shorter period with less cramping. Also, I find cloth to be much more comfortable than plastic and paper, and generally more absorbent with a thinner pad. If the start-up cost is too high for you, I'd suggest switching over gradually, buying one or two a month until you have enough, or doing frequent laundry.
Loveland, CO
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I have been a dedicated GladRags user for more than 10 years now. I think at first glance a lot of people think these are gross, but it's even more gross to think of all your used menstrual products piling up in the landfill and slowly killing our planet. Conventional pads and tampons are bleached and contain a harmful chemical called dioxin. If you have really bad menstrual cramps this could be why. My cramps definitely got better after I stopped using disposables. GladRags wants you to try this alternative and be satisfied, so much so that if you buy one, wash it before use, try it and don't like it they will give you your money back. A lot of people think it might be harder to use these when you are away from home, but you can get a carrying pouch that has a waterproof insert in it to put your used pads in so that they won't make a mess before you get home to wash them. I used to take mine to the laundromat before I had my own washer and dryer and I just put them in a lingerie bag to keep them together and no one ever noticed what they were.
I know a lot of women are grossed out by the thought of reusable pads, but they are actually way more sanitary than traditional pads made in factories! They don't have the harsh toxic chemicals that disposable pads do, so they are much better for your body, not to mention you are saving thousands of pads from ending up in landfills! I have been using glad rags for over seven years and I love them! I have never had a problem with leaks or odor, or anything else you would expect from a cloth pad. They are easy to wash and sanitize, come in really cute patterns and you save tons of money! I highly recommend these to every woman, and even if the thought of reusable cloth pads weirds you out, I promise if you try it you will never want to go back!
Santa Maria, CA
I will forever promote reusable menstrual items I have both the Moon Cup size B and cloth pads from Glad Rags and I love them both. I use the cup more often than the pads but they do have a time and a place and they are so much better for you than regular pads that are bleached and can irritate your sensitive skin. Not only could they be harmful to you but then afterwards they go sit in a landfill. When I wash them I usually rinse them out a bit first and throw them in the washing machine, yes this does require you to have contact with the blood, which is not that big of a deal at all as long as you wash your hands.
Tumwater , WA
Look: as other reviewers have pointed out, washing out your feminine items isn't an activity most of us would choose to do on a Saturday night. That having been said, think about all of the garbage us ladies generate over the years. I've got news for you, those disposable pads aren't biodegradeable. They just kind of lay around, polluting the earth. Kind of a bummer. And yes, while re-useable pads do have an initial ick factor, once you're over that first hurdle it isn't an issue really. After all, its your own blood! And to answer a previous reviewer's question, no, you don't just toss them in the wash with your clothes. You hand wash them with special solution. Seriously ladies, its no big deal.
Arlington, MA
I LOVE GLAD RAGS! i am a frequent buyer of this particular brand of cloth pads, the company will make custom orders depending on whether you need a larger or smaller size. They are easy to wash (all you have to do is throw them in the washer its not rocket science here) and voila! pads for the world!! ok, just for you i wouldn't be sharing these ;) they are soft, comfortable, and easy to store when not in use. they are durable and well made, pretty and chic. i always recommend glad rags. They absorb more than a disposable pad does.
Oskaloosa, IA
Wellness Guru Expert Level 1
I have noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of discomfort I feel during my periods since I started using washable pads - reduced cramping and reduced chafing. We purchased a regular started set and a teen starter set (in cooler prints for dd), both of which came with zippered wet bags and small nylon sleeves (to keep the clean pads separate from the dirty ones when out-and-about). The regular starter set also came with a mesh bag (smaller than a normal lingerie bag) for washing. We just place the pads in the mesh bag, which we keep in a small basket on a shelf near the toilet, when we change them and then wash every 2-3 days. They dry very quickly in the bag so there is no smell. Glad Rags make up the bulk of our mama cloth stash, but they are not our favorite brand.
Orlando, FL
Do you wash your pads on their own, separate load? Mostly likely yes because lets be honest, we don't want that anywhere near the rest of our clothes. This is the problem with things like washable pads and diapers. Water consumption is an often overlooked environmental hazard and stuff like this eats up clean water, not to mention the electricity used on the washers and dryers. Also, small loads are an even bigger waste! The most efficient way to wash any load of clothing is at the largest setting. But again, no one wants to wash used pads with your favorite jeans. This product is a total waste.
Goodlettsville, TN
What do we all think they did back in the day. Belt and pads, then came dispose. As in throw away and forget about it. They left off the next sentence, then let the rest of the world worry about it, and then, btw, don't do anything about it until something in distress happens. Then we will all say YUCK! Pull up your big girl panties ladies.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...