BY RIDLEY SCOTT

A man robbed of his name and his dignity strives to win them back, and gain the freedom of his people, in this epic historical drama from director Ridley Scott. In the year 180, the death of emperor Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris) throws the Roman Empire into chaos. Maximus (Russell Crowe) is one of the Roman army's most capable and trusted generals and a key advisor to the emperor. As Marcus' devious son Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) ascends to the throne, Maximus is set to be executed. He escapes, but is captured by slave traders. Renamed Spaniard and forced to become a gladiator, Maximus must battle to the death with other men for the amusement of paying audiences. His battle skills serve him well, and he becomes one of the most famous and admired men to fight in the Colosseum. Determined to avenge himself against the man who took away his freedom and laid waste to his family, Maximus believes that he can use his fame and skill in the ring to avenge the loss of his family and former glory. As the gladiator begins to challenge his rule, Commodus decides to put his own fighting mettle to the test by squaring off with Maximus in a battle to the death. Gladiator also features Derek Jacobi, Connie Nielsen, Djimon Hounsou, and Oliver Reed, who died of a heart attack midway through production.

Gladiator
  • "Russell Crow is outstanding in this movie and is one of my favorite movies, he plays in." in 5 reviews
Monica O.
San Antonio, TX
Pop Culture Expert
Gladiator was one of the movies that catapulted Russell Crowe to stardom. The movie was nonstop action from the first scene to the last. Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant in his role as the demented, sadistic son turned ruler, an apt foil to the goodness of Russell Crowes character. Once again, Hollywood does not have its fairytale ending - no true spoiler here but certainly watch if you haven't. Great for the action fan as well as the historian in your household.
Azra K.
Albany, NY
I love this movie and I love Russell Crowe as the gladiator. It is such a fearless and courageous story. I definitely shed a tear or two, especially near the end so if you've ever been hesitant to watch because you think it's gory or too much of a war-like movie, it truly isn't. There are some very heartfelt moments that get to you
Yesenia G.
Phoenix, AZ
Pop Culture Expert
I love this movie the action the force the strain they had best movie ever if you haven't seen this movie you're missing out
Tambria I.
Flint, MI
Pop Culture Expert
My husband loves this movie. Although it is definitely a dude flick, it is oddly an easy watch for the ladies too.
Sousana T.
Antioch, TN
Pop Culture Expert
This is amazing!!!!! It is a must watch if you're into action movies! Love the actor and probably all his movies.
Lu C.
Pop Culture Expert
I actually didn't enjoy this movie as much as I expected to. I thought it went slowly, and wasn't that exciting.
Claudia P.
Warwick, RI
Pop Culture Expert
This is one of my favorite movies of all time, love Russel Crowd. Such a great actor.
Shawn R.
Dewitt, MI
Pop Culture Expert
This is in my top 20 movies of all time when I'm not bored from watching it a bunch on TV. Russel Crowe kills it in this one. This movie is the entire reason I hate Joaquin Pheonix (except for Walk The Line), and I am not kidding. This movie was really the first of its kind. Gory, historical battles. I dig it.
TheProductReview M.
murrieta, CA
Pop Culture Expert
I could never, get tired of this movie. I think every part was played perfectly and I really feel like I was there to witness this story in person! Like I'm not just watching the movie but i become part of the movie, if that makes sense..lol just watch it you'll love it!
Kelly C.
This movie reminds me of my late father. We used to watch this together! I love this movie. The beginning is a little slow, but then I feel it picks up and you can not turn it off. I feel everyone has to give this movie a chance, and not judge it by the cover or they may not watch it (mostly my female friends who say they will not), but when I get them to watch it, most love it! One of my favorites.
Alexandra C.
What made you decide to watch this movie?
Maria L.
Whittier, CA
Does this take place in an old time?
Rachel S.