Add a Photo

By GHIRARDELLI
#46 in Hot Cocoa
Ghirardelli® Chocolate Premium Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa.
San Francisco.
Founded in 1852.
Made with real chocolate!
Mix with hot milk to make delicious hot cocoa!
Photos (10)
Renee G.
Renee G.
I got this mix based on a "Top 10 Cocoa Mixes" list I read--embarrassingly enough, it was the only one on the list I hadn't tried yet. You only get about 9 servings out of the normal-sized bags, so at $5, it's pretty dear. It's my new favorite cocoa mix, though!

I usually follow the instructions and do 3 tablespoons of mix for every 8 ounces of liquid. I like big cups of cocoa when I indulge, so I do 4.5 tbsp of mix and 12 ounces of light vanilla almond milk. I just stir it on the stove over medium-low heat for about five minutes; it'll seem like the liquid and powder aren't meshing when you first put them together, but it all melds as it warms up. The instructions say you can make this in the microwave, but frankly, I think the stove top method gives you the smoothest cup.

You'll get a very rich, authentic milk chocolate flavor with this mix. My mother says it tastes a lot like old-fashioned cocoa made from cocoa powder, but a bit sweeter and creamier. I would agree; it's sweet and smooth without the artificial aftertaste that a lot of cocoa mixes have.

PS: One of the best things about this mix is that it's vegan! My mother is lactose-intolerant and can't drink most cocoa mixes, so this was a definite plus for me.
Becca J.
Becca J.
A friend gave me a packet of this not too long ago and said "it'll change your life." Um....she was right! I usually make my own hot cocoa mix instead of bothering with store-bought packets, because it either tastes too watered down OR it has sucralose. Yuck. But now I will always buy Ghirardelli. It has a full-bodied cocoa-y flavor like the sipping chocolate I used to get in Italy! SO YUMMY. And it doesn't have any ingredients I am sensitive to. Plus, you can't beat the convenience! Favorite. Hot chocolate. Ever.
Courtney B.
Courtney B.
I try not to have hot chocolate too often because I find that I can get really addicted to the sugar and start having serious cravings. However, there are certain times when I'm curled up reading a book, or I'm going snowshoeing and nothing would be better than a hot thermos of cocoa. In these cases Ghiradelli is my go-to brand for its rich chocolatey taste without being overly saccharine like some of the other brands. It's important to make it with milk and not water, but it's worth the extra effort!
Sarah E.
Sarah E.
Amherst, NH
Let me start off by saying that I love chocolate, like I really love chocolate, and this is the best hot chocolate I've had in the States. It's a little more time consuming to make then the typical SwissMiss hot chocolate, but it's worth every drop. It's also a little more expensive as hot chocolate goes, so I find myself purchasing it more as a splurge item when I go grocery shopping.
Jennifer L.
Jennifer L.
Lincoln, NE
April 5, 2016, 7:09 p.m.
Review for: Premium Double Hot Cocoa 16 oz
I love hot chocolate, and Ghirardelli makes the absolute best! I've tried many flavors, but the double chocolate is my favorite. I make it in milk and use an electric whisk think to make it nice and frothy! I currently order mine on Amazon and it's a lot more cost effective to do so. But if you want to try other flavors, they smaller packs are great until you find your favorite.
Marlene B.
Marlene B.
Tampa, FL
A friend of mine made me hot cocoa one day and I feel I love. This is the brand that she uses and recommended it. This is some of the absolute best hot chocolate mix ever. I used to use Nestle hot cocoa but now I use the Double Chocolate mix. I don't plan on going back. We prefer this hot cocoa mix because it isn't too sweet like so many others. Definitely worth trying.
eman m.
eman m.
this is absolutely divine i am getting excited just writing this review because i know once i am done i am going to treat myself first thing first it tastes extremely chocolatey which is always a plus i am a repeat customer and stay a for ever costumer i would definitely recommend to every this is the best hot chocolate mix i have ever tasted
Yael P.
Yael P.
Palo Alto, CA
Growing up in the Bay Area, Ghiradelli was the epitome of good, quality chocolate. While I lived for their hot fudge, Ghiradelli's Premium Hot Cocoa was a staple for the cold(ish) winter months. Today I've found myself leaning towards richer and more complex flavors of hot chocolate, but Ghiradelli remains one of my favorite basics.
Lindsay B.
Lindsay B.
Erie, PA
I buy this stuff as an affordable gift for friends, neighbors, and teachers during the holiday season. This chocolate, which you have to follow the directions and use milk (NOT WATER), is by far the highest quality hot cocoa out there. It's really rich and feels special-made, but you can make it right at home. Everyone loves it!
Sarah L.
Sarah L.
This stuff is what dreams are made of in the winter months! Yes I know it's so easy to put Swiss miss in a cup of hot water and call it a day, but Ghirardelli is straight magic in your mouth! Plus you get a TON in that tin. Just mix it over the stove with hot milk and it is amazing. Seriously you will never go back to Swiss miss
Jessica B.
Jessica B.
Will the work best with hot water or hot milk?
Tresa B.
Tresa B.
Does this really taste like the chocolates?
Leah M.
Leah M.
Columbia, SC
Where can I get this??!! I've not seen it in any of our local grocery stores.
Melissa P.
Melissa P.
Where can I find this product? I couldn't find them in Walmart.
Caleb L.
Caleb L.
High Point, NC
I love their chocolates, but they're always so expensive. Is this cocoa mix expensive, and if so is it worth the money?