BY GEL SETTER

It's everything you love about gels, but in a perfect top coat you can use anywhere and everywhere. So, whether you're off to a desert island or dashing to your next meeting, now there's a little something in your beauty bag that can keep up with your go-getter lifestyle: essie gel.setter. Bon Voyage! see more...

• I have been wanting to try this but have been hesitant. I...4 Answers
  • Does it work on top of other nail polish brands' polish o...8 Answers
  • I love this top coat!! It is my absolute favorite! I feel...2 Answers
gel.setter Top Coat 0.46 fl. oz. Bottle
  • "I tried again, this time without a base coat and it worked much better." in 1 review
Caroline H.
Hickory, NC
I am really bummed writing this review because I love Essie nail polish I use it a lot, among other brands. I bought this Essie Gel Setter and it was a little over $10 with tax, but I had read pretty good reviews and thought I would love to give it a try because if you can get a gel like manicure at home without the UV light then why not! They looked great right after I did them, I applied 2 coats of polish and 2 coats of the Gel Setter. They were very shiny and really mimicked a gel manicure. However, the next morning on my pointer finger the polish all fell off in one swoop it was very weird but I thought hey things happen. Then throughout the day my nails chipped a lot :/ it really sucks because I really really wanted to love this stuff! I didn’t expect miracles but for the price I expected longer than a day without chips :/ I’ll still use the bottle that I bought but probably won’t buy anymore. The picture I posted is the very next day after doing them the night before :/
Tina C.
I have a love hate relationship with this top coat. It does make your polish last a long time. I would say a good 5-7 days with maybe very minor tip wear. It dries relatively quickly for a top coat that is not fast dry. The only thing I don’t like is that it starts to look cloudy and not shiny as it wears. The first couple days, your mani is super shiny and pretty. After that though, the shine wears off and your mani starts to looks kind of dirty. It’s frustrating because there is hardly any wear and you could wear the mani longer, but I end up redoing my nails because I hate that faded look. I like my mani super shiny. So yes, it is very long lasting, but the pretty shine fades rather quickly.
Cortney S.
Oceanside, CA
My favorite top coat by far because it helps my manicure last longer! My manicure will last about a week with no chipping vs a few days with other quick dry topcoats. I highly recommend trying this out if you have problems with your nail polish chipping too soon.
Angie C.
Brooklyn
This top coat works amazing! It gives your nails a gel-like finish without all the fuss of setting gel nails and helps protect your polish. I can usually go a week without any cracks or chips in my polish (with use of a base coat too) and my nails stay shiny for a long time. Make sure to use a thin coat though as applying too much can cause air bubbles to appear or create a wrinkling effect on your nails.
Emily S.
Huge fan of this top coat. Goes on smooth and tries quickly. Absolutely a better value than paying for gel manicures. Lasts about a week longer than regular paint and top coat.
Mary D.
I have tried many of these kind of top coats that claim to prevent chipping and promote long wear and I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It dried quickly and lived up to its claim. It was cheap and worked with several other polishes besides Essie. The only drawbacks are that it is thick and picks up particles and air bubbles frequently while drying. I would recommend this product to any nail fanatic.
Lauren L.
Essie is one of my favorite nail polish brands! If you have not tried Essie, you should first note that the formula is more liquid-y than other polishes. The gel setter top coat is no exception. It can be purchased at any beauty retailer (Ulta, nail supply shops) and Target. I get a generous blob of polish on my brush and sweep it over my freshly painted nails (dry of course). It can last upwards to a week. While it doesn’t compare to getting an actual gel manicure, the shiny gloss it leaves on your nails is pretty close. The only other thing I’ll say is that I wouldn’t recommend the top coat for use as a glossy base coat. The top coat will flake off your bare nails in a matter of days. Use it as directed and you’ll be fine! Make sure to close the bottle tightly after each use as well. Essie will dry up real quick if you leave it exposed.
ASHLEY P.
San Antonio, TX
This product does an amazing job keeping your nail polish in place for more than one day. Without this top coat, my nail polish will last maybe one or two days without chipping. This gel coat used along with ANY Essie polish has your nail polish last for over a week before chipping. It also looks like a professional gel manicure without the cost. Although Essie is semi pricey for a top coat, this product is well worth it.
Isabelle E.
Farmville, VA
I was not at all impressed with this top coat! I've had major issues with essie polishes chipping after just a day or two, and hoped turning the polishes into gel polish would fix my problem. This top coat worked no better than a regular top coat and my polish only lasted a day and a half. I love the colors essie puts out, but the formulas are just awful. Don't waste your ten bucks - this won't help!
Shubam S.
At first, I thought I really liked this top coat, but the more I used it I realized that I think it is just okay. For the price, it is not worth it in my opinion because the Revlon top coat performs very similar to this one and is much cheaper. It does give my nails a nice, glossy shine, but it does not help with the longevity of my polish at all. It also makes my nail polish peel, which is not something I typically have a problem with. Unfortunately, I will not be repurchasing this top coat.
Lauren D.
Rockaway Park, NY
Does anyone use this with other nail polishes and which ones do you find best?
Stephanie L.
Stamford, CT
Does it work on top of other nail polish brands' polish or just Essie? I never tried on top of anything else.
Jessica D.
Is this really worth $10?
Stephanie N.
Boca raton, FL
I have been wanting to try this but have been hesitant. Is it worth it? Does it make regular nail polish last longer? That is why I would want to purchase this product. Thanks!!!
shannon m.
West haven, CT
Did this help the polish chip less?

Macy's