Angela B.
Marshall, IL
Simple, durable, and relatively easy to use. I don't know how often ill use preloaded routes, but I do like the track back. Together with a $2 pocket plotting tool and you can find your position in seconds. It locks on fast at startup and has proven to be quite accurate. The trip computer is easily adjustable to any field you could want, with a set series of layouts to view. I found connecting it to my computer to be easy and straight forward. Within minutes I loaded a few test routes and waypoints using BaseCamp, both with free maps on BaseCamp readily available online, and through importing routes from hillmap.com. It appears to be very durable. I personally find the wrist-strap comfortable and barely notice the 2.5oz device in there. I do have skinny wrists though and the strap is a bit short so I can see how other people might have issues.

I initially had a hard time deciding on this versus $40 more for the 401, or even an Etrex20 (similar price point). I eventually figured I didn't need the electronic compass or the potential hassle of constantly recalibrating it, and was not interested in the barometric pressure and more accurate elevation. I've read of issues where the pressure doesn't calibrate correctly and it can throw off trip data, or where you turn the device off and move (to save battery) and need to recalibrate the compass. None of these types of things i felt like dealing with and thus chose the 301. As for the Etrex, I'll wait a little and probably invest in a more fully featured device later rather than skimping now. The 301 fulfills it's purpose excellently, and I'll stick with what works well.