Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.

BY GARDEN SPELLS BY SARAH ADDISON ALLEN

Cary P.
Cary P.
Slinger, WI
Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorite authors, and this is the first book of hers that I read. I love the whimsical, magical feeling of the book, along with the recipes and other interesting details she includes. Definitely a must read if you're looking for a magical, heartfelt book.
Laura S.
Laura S.
Cohoes, NY
This book is wonderful. I loved all the different family dynamics, the romance was adorable, and all of the subtle magic was just, well, magical!
Rose L.
Rose L.
Bethlehem, NH
I have read all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I love her use of description and she reminds me a lot of my favorite author, Alice Hoffman.
Marshall M.
Marshall M.
Rock Hill, SC
I read this book a few summers ago, and I fell in love with it. It's a very quick read, but the author's writing is almost mesmerizing. Definitely a book I would read again!
Danielle C.
Danielle C.
Brook Park, OH
This is such a magical book! I loved it from the very first page. It reminds me of Practical Magic a little.
Jessi G.
Jessi G.
The Waverly family is well known in Bascom, North Carolina as being a little strange. The apples from the tree in their back yard will show you the most significant happening in your life. If it's good, the rest of life pales in comparison and if it's bad... you spend the rest of your life trying to avoid it. That's what happened to Claire and Sydney's mother. She ate an apple and spent the rest of her life running. It affected the way both Claire and Sydney grew up. Claire clung to the town while Sydney couldn't wait to get away. But now Sydney's back with her young daughter.
I would definitely compare this to Alice Hoffman, not least because of the mystical elements, Claire is a fantastic gardener and can cook emotions into the food she serves up in her catering business. Sydney's daughter knows where things belong. And Clair and Sydney's cousin Evanelle always knows when to give people things (including giving condoms to a married woman whose husband is known to be impotent). Great read, would love to read it again.
Julia R.
Julia R.
RIDGEWOOD, NY
I enjoy all books from this author, but I liked the plot line of Garden Spells enough to grab a copy for my grandmother as well. The quirkiness and humor with which the book is written keeps it from getting too solemn.
Meghan E.
Meghan E.
Nashville, TN
A co-worker lent me this book to check out a few summers ago, and I was surprisingly intrigued! I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. It was endearing and had a southern feel to it that reminded me of some of my favorite movies (Fried Green Tomatoes, The Divine Secrets of The Ya Ya Sisterhood, and Steel Magnolias.) If you're looking for a unique summer read that's easy but wonderful, a sweet mix of a little bit of everything - I definitely recommend this one. I was surprised at how attached I was to the characters.
Lindsay T.
Lindsay T.
Orchard Park, NY
Bookworm Expert
This novel was very boring and predictable. The writing was not very intelligent. You are better of watching the movie Practical Magic.
Brittni S.
Brittni S.
If you took Practical Magic and Sleeping with the Enemy and mashed them together, this book would be the result. Two sisters, Claire and Sydney grew up with their grandmother after their mothers death. The house has a magical garden whose plants all create different effects by eating them, and the whole town knows it. Claire, the oldest sister, lives in the house alone and runs a catering company specializing in this experiential eating. The younger sister Sydney has not been in contact with anyone fro the town, inducing her family, when one day, she shows up with a daughter, and a mysterious past. The sisters grow and learn together, and make up for lost time as they experience new phases in their life together. In the end Sydney’s secret comes to light in an exciting climax.
Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.
Who was your favorite character and why?
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Williamsburg, IA
What was this book about, and what influenced your decision into reading it?
Amber J.
Amber J.
Champlin, MN
What genre is this book?