Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.

BY GARDEN SPELLS BY SARAH ADDISON ALLEN

Rose L.
Rose L.
Bethlehem, NH
I have read all of Sarah Addison Allen's books. I love her use of description and she reminds me a lot of my favorite author, Alice Hoffman.
Laura S.
Laura S.
Cohoes, NY
This book is wonderful. I loved all the different family dynamics, the romance was adorable, and all of the subtle magic was just, well, magical!
Stephanie P.
Stephanie P.
Krum, TX
This is my favorite Sarah Addison Allen novel. It makes you want to cook with secret herbs from your garden. She has this magical quality about her books that I just love. I guess you'd call it magical realism.
Danielle C.
Danielle C.
Brook Park, OH
This is such a magical book! I loved it from the very first page. It reminds me of Practical Magic a little.
Suzi H.
Suzi H.
San Jose, CA
I don't know how I missed this book when it first came out, but it was quite an interesting read! The Waverly garden is a fantastic place, and I thought the ideas behind the plants' magical powers fascinating. Can the different flowers really influence people as described? I have no idea, but speculating about how food and the natural world can influence our ideas is fun.

I really liked the magic of the tale. The apple tree, which seemed about as human as any of the people living on its property, had such an unusual power. From one bite of an apple, a person could see the biggest event of their life...I have to admit, try as I might that just doesn't seem to be that terrible. If I took a bite out of something and suddenly saw my own death, I'd figure I was hallucinating and call in to work sick. I have trouble believing one vision could impact me as much as it did the characters in the novel - but then, I wouldn't have grown up with family legends telling me about how powerful these things were.

I was also left wondering "Did the Waverly ancestors bring their magic to this place, or was the magic in the plants already growing in the garden and the family was 'adopted' into the magic?"
Julia R.
Julia R.
RIDGEWOOD, NY
I enjoy all books from this author, but I liked the plot line of Garden Spells enough to grab a copy for my grandmother as well. The quirkiness and humor with which the book is written keeps it from getting too solemn.
Jessi G.
Jessi G.
The Waverly family is well known in Bascom, North Carolina as being a little strange. The apples from the tree in their back yard will show you the most significant happening in your life. If it's good, the rest of life pales in comparison and if it's bad... you spend the rest of your life trying to avoid it. That's what happened to Claire and Sydney's mother. She ate an apple and spent the rest of her life running. It affected the way both Claire and Sydney grew up. Claire clung to the town while Sydney couldn't wait to get away. But now Sydney's back with her young daughter.
I would definitely compare this to Alice Hoffman, not least because of the mystical elements, Claire is a fantastic gardener and can cook emotions into the food she serves up in her catering business. Sydney's daughter knows where things belong. And Clair and Sydney's cousin Evanelle always knows when to give people things (including giving condoms to a married woman whose husband is known to be impotent). Great read, would love to read it again.
Alicia R.
Alicia R.
The writing style of Addison is so compelling and enchanting. I wish I could jump into this world and live. Amazing book, well-written and engaging.
Cary P.
Cary P.
Slinger, WI
Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorite authors, and this is the first book of hers that I read. I love the whimsical, magical feeling of the book, along with the recipes and other interesting details she includes. Definitely a must read if you're looking for a magical, heartfelt book.
Sarajane R.
Sarajane R.
Palm Desert, CA
This is probably one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. I say "enjoyable" because it was genuinely fun to immerse myself into the magic of the Waverlys.
Tiffany P.
Tiffany P.
Who was your favorite character and why?
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Williamsburg, IA
What was this book about, and what influenced your decision into reading it?
Amber J.
Amber J.
Champlin, MN
What genre is this book?