Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.

BY GARDEN SPELLS BY SARAH ADDISON ALLEN

Shauna G.
Harrisburg, IL
I came across this book at Barnes and Noble about 10 years ago. It is most definitely in my top 5 favorite books. The story makes you think and makes you want to fall in love at the same time. There is this magical feeling to the book with legends and magic recipes. Makes you feel anything is possible. A must read!
Suzi H.
San Jose, CA
I don't know how I missed this book when it first came out, but it was quite an interesting read! The Waverly garden is a fantastic place, and I thought the ideas behind the plants' magical powers fascinating. Can the different flowers really influence people as described? I have no idea, but speculating about how food and the natural world can influence our ideas is fun.

I really liked the magic of the tale. The apple tree, which seemed about as human as any of the people living on its property, had such an unusual power. From one bite of an apple, a person could see the biggest event of their life...I have to admit, try as I might that just doesn't seem to be that terrible. If I took a bite out of something and suddenly saw my own death, I'd figure I was hallucinating and call in to work sick. I have trouble believing one vision could impact me as much as it did the characters in the novel - but then, I wouldn't have grown up with family legends telling me about how powerful these things were.

I was also left wondering "Did the Waverly ancestors bring their magic to this place, or was the magic in the plants already growing in the garden and the family was 'adopted' into the magic?"
Jessi G.
The Waverly family is well known in Bascom, North Carolina as being a little strange. The apples from the tree in their back yard will show you the most significant happening in your life. If it's good, the rest of life pales in comparison and if it's bad... you spend the rest of your life trying to avoid it. That's what happened to Claire and Sydney's mother. She ate an apple and spent the rest of her life running. It affected the way both Claire and Sydney grew up. Claire clung to the town while Sydney couldn't wait to get away. But now Sydney's back with her young daughter.
I would definitely compare this to Alice Hoffman, not least because of the mystical elements, Claire is a fantastic gardener and can cook emotions into the food she serves up in her catering business. Sydney's daughter knows where things belong. And Clair and Sydney's cousin Evanelle always knows when to give people things (including giving condoms to a married woman whose husband is known to be impotent). Great read, would love to read it again.
Stephanie G.
Raleigh, NC
The fairy tale element to the story wasn't forced at all and I especially enjoyed watching the villains get their comeuppance. Because what's a good fairy tale without a sense of justice, right?

Because there were so many storylines, I felt the book should have been at least a hundred pages longer. There weren't any loose ends by the end, but I felt a few of the characters deserved more pages. I especially felt Claire's relationship was a little rushed. Likewise, I woudn't have minded a little glimpse into the grandmother's past.

I read this book in twenty four hours and I don't regret a second of it, but I do wish that if I suddenly decided to start over there would magically be more to the story. Now I want to learn how to crystallize violets so I can put them in a cake.
Elizabeth C.
Joshua Tree, CA
I read this book for a foodie event called Cook The Books. Basically, the gist is you read a book and make a recipe inspired by the book, blog about it, take a picture of it, post it, etc. This isn't a book I would have picked up on my own, as the genre isn't typically what I'm interested in.

There was obviously much mention of food in the dish, with one of the main characters making magic in her kitchen through her meals. The main characters are notorious in their town for being part of a rather eccentric family.

The characters in the book are drawn out pretty well. The storyline is easy to follow. The mentions of food make me drool.

I am giving it a 3 not because it's not a good book, it really is, but because I still probably wouldn't read it or anything like it again as it's just not the type of book I usually gravitate towards
Brittni S.
Chubbuck, ID
If you took Practical Magic and Sleeping with the Enemy and mashed them together, this book would be the result. Two sisters, Claire and Sydney grew up with their grandmother after their mothers death. The house has a magical garden whose plants all create different effects by eating them, and the whole town knows it. Claire, the oldest sister, lives in the house alone and runs a catering company specializing in this experiential eating. The younger sister Sydney has not been in contact with anyone fro the town, inducing her family, when one day, she shows up with a daughter, and a mysterious past. The sisters grow and learn together, and make up for lost time as they experience new phases in their life together. In the end Sydney’s secret comes to light in an exciting climax.
Sichelle W.
Mendocino, CA
Sarah Addison Allen is one of my new favorites. She's an engaging writer, who has the uncanny ability to create magical realism that is so beautiful, you cannot help but to be drawn into the world she creates. Her most recent novel, "Lost Lake", was just recently published and made the Indie Next List for the month of February. It's another lovely read, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves immersive storytelling.
Cara L.
Ellicott City, MD
I really liked this book, it was a light read, but it wasn't stupid like some other books that are light romances like this. I don't mean to say this is itself a romance book, because thats not really the main point of it. And I don't mean to say this is fluff either, I just mean that its a lighter novel that isn't a hard read. Enjoyed this thoroughly.
Jennifer W.
Street, MD
This book sat on my shelf for about 2 years before I decided to read it. I had made a previous attempt at reading it and didn't even get past the first chapter. Then I resolved to read all of my unread book and picked this one up first. I am so glad I did! It was such a great story and very unique. I loved the characters and the little bit of magic involved!
Meghan E.
Nashville, TN
A co-worker lent me this book to check out a few summers ago, and I was surprisingly intrigued! I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. It was endearing and had a southern feel to it that reminded me of some of my favorite movies (Fried Green Tomatoes, The Divine Secrets of The Ya Ya Sisterhood, and Steel Magnolias.) If you're looking for a unique summer read that's easy but wonderful, a sweet mix of a little bit of everything - I definitely recommend this one. I was surprised at how attached I was to the characters.
Tiffany P.
Who was your favorite character and why?
Tammy F.
Williamsburg, IA
What was this book about, and what influenced your decision into reading it?
Amber J.
Champlin, MN
What genre is this book?