Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen  uploaded by Tiffany P.

BY GARDEN SPELLS BY SARAH ADDISON ALLEN

Vanessa R.
This book is riveting an amazing story line everyone was my favorite character honestly I cannot choose one I have read every single book from this author and every single book has been equally as amazing and magical I highly highly highly recommend Sarah Addison Allen books
NICOLE S.
Staten Island, NY
I loved everything about this book. All of Sarah Addison Allen's stories are well-written and fun to read. The special "magical" flowers and other elements in her stories make them so different than other books in the best way. Now I want to go re-read it!
Leah R.
Huntington, NY
Sarah Addison Allen is my absolute favorite author! She manages to incorporate just the tiniest bit of magic into every one of her books and the result is nothing short of incredible!
Dani S.
Clear Lake, WI
This was a knock out of the park. I love the author and her ability to keep the magic flowing from page to page.
Paige R.
Defiance, OH
My favorite book from Addison. I love how she depicts female characters. They are flawed yet strong woman.
Ruthann M.
Great book. Very different from others I have read in this genre. Definitely will read again.
Suzi H.
San Jose, CA
I don't know how I missed this book when it first came out, but it was quite an interesting read! The Waverly garden is a fantastic place, and I thought the ideas behind the plants' magical powers fascinating. Can the different flowers really influence people as described? I have no idea, but speculating about how food and the natural world can influence our ideas is fun.

I really liked the magic of the tale. The apple tree, which seemed about as human as any of the people living on its property, had such an unusual power. From one bite of an apple, a person could see the biggest event of their life...I have to admit, try as I might that just doesn't seem to be that terrible. If I took a bite out of something and suddenly saw my own death, I'd figure I was hallucinating and call in to work sick. I have trouble believing one vision could impact me as much as it did the characters in the novel - but then, I wouldn't have grown up with family legends telling me about how powerful these things were.

I was also left wondering "Did the Waverly ancestors bring their magic to this place, or was the magic in the plants already growing in the garden and the family was 'adopted' into the magic?"
Jessi G.
The Waverly family is well known in Bascom, North Carolina as being a little strange. The apples from the tree in their back yard will show you the most significant happening in your life. If it's good, the rest of life pales in comparison and if it's bad... you spend the rest of your life trying to avoid it. That's what happened to Claire and Sydney's mother. She ate an apple and spent the rest of her life running. It affected the way both Claire and Sydney grew up. Claire clung to the town while Sydney couldn't wait to get away. But now Sydney's back with her young daughter.
I would definitely compare this to Alice Hoffman, not least because of the mystical elements, Claire is a fantastic gardener and can cook emotions into the food she serves up in her catering business. Sydney's daughter knows where things belong. And Clair and Sydney's cousin Evanelle always knows when to give people things (including giving condoms to a married woman whose husband is known to be impotent). Great read, would love to read it again.
Stephanie G.
Raleigh, NC
The fairy tale element to the story wasn't forced at all and I especially enjoyed watching the villains get their comeuppance. Because what's a good fairy tale without a sense of justice, right?

Because there were so many storylines, I felt the book should have been at least a hundred pages longer. There weren't any loose ends by the end, but I felt a few of the characters deserved more pages. I especially felt Claire's relationship was a little rushed. Likewise, I woudn't have minded a little glimpse into the grandmother's past.

I read this book in twenty four hours and I don't regret a second of it, but I do wish that if I suddenly decided to start over there would magically be more to the story. Now I want to learn how to crystallize violets so I can put them in a cake.
Elizabeth C.
Joshua Tree, CA
I read this book for a foodie event called Cook The Books. Basically, the gist is you read a book and make a recipe inspired by the book, blog about it, take a picture of it, post it, etc. This isn't a book I would have picked up on my own, as the genre isn't typically what I'm interested in.

There was obviously much mention of food in the dish, with one of the main characters making magic in her kitchen through her meals. The main characters are notorious in their town for being part of a rather eccentric family.

The characters in the book are drawn out pretty well. The storyline is easy to follow. The mentions of food make me drool.

I am giving it a 3 not because it's not a good book, it really is, but because I still probably wouldn't read it or anything like it again as it's just not the type of book I usually gravitate towards
Tiffany P.
Who was your favorite character and why?
Tammy F.
Williamsburg, IA
What was this book about, and what influenced your decision into reading it?
Amber J.
Champlin, MN
What genre is this book?