BY FLUVAL

Fluval Spec V is an aquarium system that provide a unique panoramic view, while adding both style and design to any room. This sleek aquarium features a bright 37 LED lighting system with 7500K daylight LEDs and a deep blue night light setting, 3 position on/off switch and low voltage power supply. Features: 3 Stage Filtration, Bright 37 LED Lighting System, 3 Position On/Off Swith with Low Voltage Power Supply Includes: Aquarium with Cover, LED Lighting System, Foam Filter Block with Handle, Activated Carbon Insert, Biomax Insert, Circulation Pump with Output Nozzle, Safe Low Voltage Transformer, 30ml Nutrafin Aqua Plus Water Conditioner, 30ml Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement Tank Size: 5.6 gallon Installation Type: Desktop Color: Black Shape: Rectangle Dimensions: 17.2"L x 6.3"W x 10.6"H Material: Glass Warranty: 2 yr see more...

Karyn S.
Karyn S.
Southern Cali
Long review ahead, but I really love this tank!
I personally own a Fluval Spec V and bought it from PetSmart in November 2014. I saw it as a display tank in a pet store when I was in Pittsburgh, and it was love at first sight. I knew I had to have one eventually and waited for it to go on sale. So here's an overview of the features of this tank and my opinion of it after having it set up for 4 months.
Design: It has an overall elegant, modern, and clean design. It's an unsual shape for a 5 gallon tank, being a bit longer. In this case, unusual is a good thing because since it's so narrow you can place it on a countertop, table, dresser, or almost anywhere it will fit and have a beautiful view from either the side or the front of the tank, or both. The tank comes in black or white color choices. I personally have the black one but otherwise they're identically beautiful.
Filtration: The filter is built in and contained in a frosted glass compartment which looks very attractive compared to hang over back models. There's even a bit of space to hide a small heater in the pump compartment for tropical fish like bettas! You also get a very large filter pad for the water volume of the tank, meaning your beneficial bacteria colony will have plenty of room to grow. All it needs is an occasional rinse in dechlorinated tap water or old tank water during a water change. You aso receive a bag of ceramic rings (for beneficial bacteria) and a carbon bag. These fit into the cut out slots on the filter pad. The pump is adjustable and virtually silent. I have to put my ear extremely close to hear anything, and even then it's a slight hum. I have it set on the lowest flow setting for my female betta, and I still feel it's a bit too strong for her, so I've done some slight modifications that weren't too difficult. No big deal and not enough for me to remove stars. It's just something betta keepers learn to deal with.
Light: It comes with an attractive LED light on a metal arm. The arm slides into place and you simply tighten the screw until the light is level. You might have to hold the light up a bit while you do this to get it perfect but it's no big deal for me. You do of course have to do this every time you need to get into the tank for water changes (I do one 25-30% change every week) but I'm not personally annoyed by this. The light color is attractive and comes with two options and an off setting. The options are a nice white light, and a dim blue night light. Nothing to write home about, but attractive nonetheless. The only downside for me with this light is that it's too dim to grow light-hungry plants and make them look full and pretty. Low light plants like mosses, java fern, and anubias will do perfectly fine, though! I assume that most people won't go for light-hungry plants anyway, so I can't remove a star for that either. I plan on replacing the light at some point.
Overall: The Fluval Spec V lived up to my expectations! It's beautiful, sturdy, has good filtration, room for a heater, and my betta is safe and happy in it. I would consider this tank good for beginners who are diligent about water changes (because ammonia builds up quickly in small tanks) and everyone else who loves modern looking fish tanks. I love this tank and I'm very happy with it and hope it will last me a long time.
Stocking note: Don't use this tank for anything that will grow larger than a betta, however. This is considered a nano tank and the best things for it are small fish like guppies, bettas, shrimp, and very small schooling fish. Goldfish are obviously not on this list since well cared for goldies can get over 9+ inches. It's the perfect home for small fishies. :)
Stacey L.
Stacey L.
Edmonton, Alberta
I purchased this tank for my little Betta. Its super cute design is nice to look at. My little guy loved it. I filled it with some plants and a nice log for him to hide in. He has been alive for over 3 years now so I would say this is a great tank :-)