BY FINAL FANTASY XII

• I have all the FF games from 7 thru 13. I'm collecting th...4 Answers
  • Who else kept forgetting they own this game?7 Answers
Final Fantasy XII
  • "The storyline was not bad, and the new battle system was quite fun and far more active than the previous "you hit, then I'll hit, then you hit again"." in 8 reviews
  • "This game not only breaks that mold by eliminating the need for a "main character", love interest, or something so melodramatic as the destruction of the planet, but does so beautifully." in 5 reviews
Domynoe L.
Lawrenceville, GA
While not one of my favorite FF games, I do like this one. Even though the game is primarily through a male character's pov, I like that the main character is a woman who has agency in her story. The story line is great, and the graphics are fantastic. Combat is a bit different and takes getting used to, but the mini-games, while challenging, are more thinking based than hand-eye coordination based, which I like. The story does unfold a bit slowly, and you won't see Shiva and her pals the same way we have in previous games, but it's a great game that I've enjoyed when I've played it.
Stephanie H.
Aurora, CO
I'm so excited for the HD remake coming out soon! This is one of my favorite titles in the Final Fantasy series even though it seems like it's sort of the red-headed stepchild because so many people dislike it. It changed up a lot of things - very open world, combat on the field, a bit questionable in the choice of protagonists ... despite all this I love it and its style is very much like a single-player MMO in a way. Some of its elements end up being used in an actual MMO in the series later!

I love the deep lore within the game that is unlocked as you fill out your bestiary. This is a game I lost myself in for hundreds of hours when I was younger, trying to accomplish everything and still failing miserably because I was too lazy to finish it.
Zachary T.
Ocean Springs, MS
Final Fantasy XII was not my favorite Final Fantasy, I'll admit. But it wasn't my LEAST favorite either. I'll admit it was a bit slow to start up, but I enjoyed finishing it. Those who are complaining about lack of interesting story or dialogue are people who most probably have never even got out of the desert (starting area in the game) and if you have no patience for story build-up I can tell you now you have no business playing a JRPG in the first place. I can understand those who were upset about it not being in the "traditional format" of turn-based combat like it's predecessors, but the gambit system was a system that allowed you to customize when your party members would act and how they would react when certain triggers occurred. You don't "lose control" over the characters because you could easily put in any command manually for each character just as you would in the old turn based game its just painfully time-consuming. Vaan(illa), the protagonist, is kinda plain... But as stated in other reviews his stat-growth is godlike to make up for it and the other characters are more interesting. In my opinion, the game was worth playing (So long as you don't mind JRPGs).
Luke S.
If you're a die hard final fantasy fan you might not enjoy this game. The battle system has been completely revamped and no longer fully turn based strategic combat. I ended up dropping the game early because I couldn't find interest in the combat system.

Though from what I hear the storyline is very well developed.
Samantha H.
Guntown, MS
BECAUSE SERIOUSLY, GUYS.

This is my favorite Final Fantasy. I even like it more than the older games people talk about to seem like a more "legit" RPG player.

I will be the first to admit, it has it's weak points. Slow beginning? Check. License board? Yawn. Only getting gil from loot? Lame. All that level grinding? C'MON ALREADY. But even through all that, I will defend this game with love. I will disapprove of the people who claim Final Fantasy XIII: Endless Hallways was better.

The people complaining about "boring characters"? WHAT. JUST WHAT. This game gave us Balthier! It gave us Fran and Ashe and Larsa and even most of the villains are interesting! I mean yeah, Vaan is sort of hurr but since he's the GOD OF STAT GROWTH, you even have a reason to like him! The characters are amazing.

Boring story? ALSO WHAT. Yes, this game is slow but the story is awesome. Waring empire? CHECK. Going against the gods? CHECK. Saving an empire. CHECK. What do you guys want, another FFX-2 where you fight battles by changing mini-skirts?

The combat system is neat! Gambit are great. I love the more active battles.

This game is pretty! The graphics hold up even now.
Charlene L.
West Covina, CA
I felt that this game could have been one of Square Enix's masterpieces. The storyline was not bad, and the new battle system was quite fun and far more active than the previous "you hit, then I'll hit, then you hit again". Square Enix developed this game trying to offer players a lot of content to explore so that they could play the game for a long time without getting tired of it. While they did succeed to some extent, Square Enix also failed in doing this. Some players may begin to grow a little sick of the game as they are forced to run across extensive maps while encountering an enemy every five seconds (IE, the desert).

Also, while the storyline was not bad, I feel that it was a little slow in moving along in the beginning, due to all the extra content that Square Enix popped into the game and the humongous maps. The characters, although somewhat generic and even a little corny, are definitely likeable and as always, were beautifully designed. Also, since the game revolves around so many characters and how they eventually came together to achieve their goals, the storyline is a bit jagged and doesn't flow quite as smoothly as some would like.
Christopher R.
Final Fantasy is a series of games that has captured the hearts of gamers for generations. That being said, there has become a formula for making a successful one (ie. distraught main character with one or more love interests and a big bad guy trying to destroy the world). This game not only breaks that mold by eliminating the need for a "main character", love interest, or something so melodramatic as the destruction of the planet, but does so beautifully. The artwork and cinematic sequences are possibly the best a PS2 could squeeze out. Yes, the leveling system in this game was a poor bastardization of the Sphere Grid in FFX. The game made up for that in spades with the incredibly innovative Gambit combat system, allowing the gamer to CONTROL THE AI. The openness and difficulty in the optional quests made this a game I spent well over 100 hours invested in. A definite classic in the series.
Rachel U.
Hawthorne , CA
This game was very exciting, you will want to play more after you finish it.The storyline is really good too.It was on a decent price.There is no need for improvement, definitely a replay value and I recommend this to other players!
Alexandra H.
This game looks great which is to be expected from any Final Fantasy game. I did enjoy the new controls they added to this one, being able to move during fights, dodge, and see the enemies. The characters are diverse and all interesting to look at but fall short just about everywhere else. The story is lackluster and I lost interest fast. I didn't feel any sort of attachment to the characters and could care less if anything bad or good happened to them. The game gives you very little hints as to where to go and you will get lost, a lot. I lost interest half way through and stopped playing. It's really hard to play a 60 hour game all the way through when you don't care about what's happening. This game had a lot of potential but fell short.
Dana C.
Kalispell, MT
I admit it, I was disappointed playing this game, compared to how much I love X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2
The way you battle is very strange and different, it had a VERY long opening sequence that was not necessary. I played it for two hours and just plain unplugged it. I didn't like the story it had so far and I didn't like the way it was played. Not a long review, because there really wasn't much to review. With what I had seen, I was disappointed in Square Soft/Enix, especially when they had so many great games, adding on to before, Kindom Hearts 1 and 2.
Amber B.
Virginia Beach, VA
Who else kept forgetting they own this game?
heather f.
Durham, NC
I have all the FF games from 7 thru 13. I'm collecting them all. my favorite FF game is FF 8.