BY FIFTY SHADES OF GREY #68 in Books

• You either love it or hate it. Which are you8 Answers
  • Beyond the BDSM, their relationship is abusive and borderline ob...34 Answers
  • Does this series actually live up the hype? I've never read/watch...6 Answers
Fifty Shades of Grey
  • "I enjoy reading all the time , am a big romance genre reader, once I picked up the first book I was hooked, enjoyed the movie but book is a lot better." in 667 reviews
  • "once you get past all the adult content the story line is actually decent, but by the third book you are kind of bored with all the adult content and the story is quite predictable." in 373 reviews
  • "I know these were not the best READ, but I gave it a shot and I did enjoy them... again, not the best read, but I did read all three books in two weeks.." in 195 reviews
  • "Not only does it portray the bdsm lifestyle in a completely incorrect way, but it also is incredibly poorly written and a fan fiction based on the also equally poorly written Twilight series." in 191 reviews
  • "For awhile there, I was pretty captivated by the plot, but after awhile, it can be quite dry and become repetitive reading the same sex scenes over and over again." in 174 reviews
Tiffany H.
Cleveland, TN
I borrowed the series because my friends were raving about it and were pressuring me to read it.  They insisted that I needed to read it so we could discuss it properly.  But there isn't anything that I liked about the series and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  I didn't like Anastasia Steele who is supposed to be college educated but continues to make the dumbest decisions and mistakes.  Christian is supposed to be hot and rich with a lot of business acumen.  But I didn't find descriptions of him or his actions be hot in any way.  The parts of the stories that my friends raved about the most, the sex scenes, just fell flat for me.  They were dull and boring.  I found the book to be riddled with errors and inconsistencies; there was no romance, just obsession.  I'm just glad I borrowed, rather than paying for these books.
Angie A.
El Paso, TX
Please read the books before watching the movies. In this case the books are much better than the movies in my opinion. The story is kind of messed up, I mean Grey did make a lot of mistakes and Anastasia was just there ready for him. Is not very inspirational but its a quick read and it serves the purpose of keeping you entertained.
Amber W.
Springtown, TX
Bookworm Expert
If you are looking for a dirty book- this is it. If you're looking for romance and a good read- look elsewhere. I'm not an English major in any way, but the typos and grammar in the 50 shades book is enough to turn off any nerd. Sorry. If he was a guy living in a trailer, it'd be a horror movie. But give a guy a little money and suddenly he's hot lol. Give me a break!
Gabrielle H.
Highland Park, MI
I enjoyed this franchise as a movie chain versus the books for some reason. There’s something about the transition of the storyline in print that’s over thought and drags on. I do like that it opened up dialogue about being comfortable with exploring sexuality and alternative relationships.
Mikaela K.
Bellefonte, PA
One of my all time very book series. Yes, it does have sexual parts that some people do not approve or agree with, but I personally think that including this was necessary to understand the whole story and the characters. The story line in the 2nd and 3rd book is great, and yes it is a little cheesy at times but I love this one of a kind love story. I feel this book is ground breaking in the book realm, where the rawness of the writing is great and keeps you hooked. Highly recommend for young adult readers with an open mind.
Wendy C.
Madera , CA
I loved this book read it multiple times get love story. Anastasia is my favorite character love how she strong. Read everything from the author. A total must read You'll love it Fifty Shades of Grey
Sally Z.
Dilworth, MN
I couldn't even read half of the first book because I found it so boring. I wanted to finish the book and continue on with the rest just because of all the hype. However,  I feel that there are little old ladies out there that could produce a steamier novel. I have also watched the first movie and I also feel the same way about it  and  obviously that it is OVERRATED! Don't waste your money people.
Jennifer F.
Trenton, ME
Bookworm Expert
I really don't like writing bad reviews. I admire people who have the courage to put pen to paper and expose themselves to the whole world, especially those writing erotica. Having just finished this book, however, I feel compelled to write a review.

About half way through the book, I looked up the author to see if she was a teenager. I really did because the characters are out of a 16 year old's fantasy. The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey.

Then come the sex scenes. The first one is tolerable but as she goes on, they become so unbelievable that it becomes more laughable than erotic. She orgasms at the drop of a hat. He says her name and she orgasms. He simply touches her and she orgasms. It seems that she's climaxing on every page.

Then there's the writing. If you take out the parts where the female character is blushing or chewing her lips, the book will be down to about 50 pages. Almost on every single page, there is a whole section devoted to her blushing, chewing her lips or wondering "Jeez" about something or another. Then there's the use of "shades of". He's "fifty shades of @#$%% up," "she turned 7 shades of crimson," "he's ten shades of x,y, and z." Seriously?

The writing is just not up to par, the characters are unbelievable, and the sex verges on the comical. I don't know what happens in the remaining books and I do not intend to read them to find out. But given the maturity level of the first book, I imagine that they get married, have 2 perfect children, cure world hunger, and live happily ever after while riding into the sunset, as the female character climaxes on her horse causing her to chew her bottom lip and blush fifty shades of crimson. Jeez!
Danielle L.
Kissimmee, FL
The conclusion is that this is a weak trilogy, with poor repetitive writing, full of annoying and annoying moments, delayed dialogs, and zero to add to anyone. In many moments I thought of abandoning the books, but persisted.
The secret of success lies in the old formula "good girl finds a complicated face". In real life, this does not work, but it does happen every day. Women embark on futureless relationships with complicated men over another more successful one in life. I'm not generalizing, of course. Many have discovered the truth and are free. However, for some it is stimulating to think that they will fix the guy, whatever the problem. "I will make him love me to the point of change." This is older than the world and in all cases, the woman seeks a commitment that never happens. But in the books, the author makes a magic and everything is possible.Unfortunately, even though it is a fantasy, and although the protagonist is controlling and subduing Ana at all times, I see posts on the internet consecrating the book and girls commenting that they need to find a Christian Gray for themselves. I understand that in many cases, readers liked the romance part more than sadomasochism, but anyway, this is the man they crave?One good thing is that even though I'm weak, I've met people who have never read a book in their lifetime buying the trilogy. Perhaps by the promise that the book would revolutionize the love life. I'm glad you guys read something. Maybe they take pleasure in practice?
The book also stimulated the conversation about sex, about what each woman allows or not to do with her body. Regardless of how this conversation originated, I see it as a breakthrough.At first the question of violence against women came to mind. Then I realized that despite the fact that it is an apology, their relationship is consensual. However, it is impossible to read a sentence such as "Why can not I feel a little more pain for my man?" And not get irritated.
Taylor F.
Toledo, OH
This concept is fine, and it isn't even the sex or vulgarity that this book entails, it's the awful writing. It was so poorly written, it made me cringe reading it. I couldn't even finish the first book. Like I said, the story line is great and entertaining, but it's just hard to look past the awful writing and dialogue in this book thats intended for adult women.
patty a.
Who do you think should play Christian Grey in the movie?
Shannon C.
Beaumont, MS
What was the reason why you started to read this book/series?
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Seriously does anyone else feel like this wasn't that great of a read?
Crystal C.
If EL James were to write a new series based on Christian's view would you read it?
Kristina W.
Rochester, NH
Why is everyone so against something different?! Why are people not keeping an open mind and giving this series a chance! The people saying this is just like Twilight clearly haven't read the entire series, and I am saying that as a true fan of BOTH series! I, too, hoping for a continuation of this series.