BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Shelby M.
Not a fan of how its mandatory to have this app in order to see your inbox messages. But what can you do.. As for everyone complaining over the privacy system, if you look on EVERY other app on your phone it says things like they will 'store your photos, and call people without your consent'.. Not just Facebook messenger. So if thats your reason for giving the app a low rating you may as well give every other app a low rating and throw your phone out the window.
Suki Y.
It is an alright app. It allows you to talk to your facebook friends without being distracted by your news feed and you can get instant message notfications for when your friends message you. The nice thing is that there are free video and phone calls. One thing that may be a con is that it is a separate app than the actual facebook app so it does take up some more space. Otherwise, I like the app.
Ashlyn N.
It's a pain that I can no longer just have everything on one app. At least it works well. I can talk to everybody.
I don't like that if I log off and someone else logs on it is still connected to my account. They would have to sign out and sign into another account.
Kaitlyn M.
New Glasgow, NS
I do not like how you have to download a separate app just to communicate! It takes a lot of memory/storage away from my phone, and i have to delete pictures or apps just to get this app!! i never got an explanation of why they had to do this. I do not like it one bit.
Rebecca d.
Quite honestly all the flack that this app has gotten is utterly ridiculous. This apps permissions are the same that you have already allowed the Facebook app to have and if you actually read the permissions it explains why it requires access to your camera and such. I think the messenger app works significantly better than when chat was integrated with the Facebook app.
Alisha K.
Edmonton, AB
Techie Expert Level 1
I loved it until the latest update.
Why did it need live stories and other bullshit?! Why does it need a 'react' button?!
I adored it in it's early form when it was just the facebook messaging system with stickers and chat heads. Copying Snapchat is not cool.
Jenni L.
The only reason I downloaded this app was because Facebook made me....it literally did not give me a choice if I wanted to check my messages on mobile. I honestly think that was a huge "bullying tactic" of the company. The app itself is not good in itself. I've never once opened the app itself once, I still use the Facebook Mobile app to read my messages.
Maya D.
Surrey, BC
It's great if you talk to your friends a lot, but it has some major flaws. It crashes regularly, there's so much going on when you go into the camera that it just stalls for 5 minutes and then will eventually crash your entire system. The mini games are cute, but the filters and story is just ripping off Snapchat, and it's annoying.
Kelsey S.
Easy to use app for one the go, it's just like texting which is nice cause you don't have to go through the Facebook app to get to your messages but it's also a little inconvenient that you had to have another app on your phone.
Kristen V.
Toronto, ON
So Frustrated with Facebook for adding this additional app. Everything worked just fine for me inside the Facebook application. Now I have no choice but to use an additional tool that takes up data space on my phone. its so stupid. And they forced me to use it. Thanks Facebbook, apps for the sak of apps.
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?