BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Shelby B.
Franklin, IN
Techie Expert Level 3
It has it's pros and cons. Anything you HAVE to do without options people are naturally not going to like. I personally got rid of the app as well as Facebook and log in from safari. I have found that to be just as simple.
Katelyn H.
Memphis, TN
Such an easy way to stay up to date on Facebook messages! I love not having to check the app for them. You can either set it so that there are notifications or none. You can also silence certain conversations if you don't want notifications from certain ones. Overall it works well and loads quickly!
Regina F.
Norwich, CT
Ugh! Honestly the app itself isn't bad, but em what aggravates me is that you have to have the app in order to send messages via facebook now. I don't need another app wasting space on my phone for a once in a great while message I might send someday in the far future. Hate this feature of fb.
Santana C.
New Salem, PA
Techie Expert Level 1
It's an okay feature of Facebook. Not my favorite. I hate how Facebook forces you to have it in order to talk to your friends. It should be an option. Mine occasionally freezes up or closes out in the middle of a conversation. But I do enjoy the calling and video chat features very much.
alexa s.
Spencer, NY
I use this program everyday to keep in touch with friends and family. i don't like that if you do not have this separate app you cannot read your messages on faceebook. overall it works well but wish i didn't have to download another app just for facebook to function the way its ment to
Haley M.
I really don't like the fact that Facebook now requires another app to use the messenger. I rarely ever check my messages because I don't feel the need to download another app. I don't like the terms and use for this app, I think a lot of the stuff it has access to is completely unnecessary.
Lindsey A.
Tewksbury, MA
This is probably the worst update Facebook could have possibly come up with. It is pointless because it functions as a texting app and nobody really needs that. It slows my phone down when I just want to quickly open up Facebook and read a message, but have to open up the chat app too.
Yamilleth R.
Riverhead, NY
Me encanta por qué no debo tener mi Facebook abierto para poder usarlos , puedo ver a mi familia por cámara cambiar el color del chat y cosas tan cool me fascinó se lo recomiendo chicos de verdad es muy bueno
Betty S.
Bloomington
I do not like the forced download to see messages. It is one more thing to look at when I have enough on my phone screen. The latest download crashes itself or my phone frequently. Being asked if I want to sync my contacts ten times and before I can see messages is extremely annoying.
Felicia J.
Macon, GA
I've never downloaded the app because I find it very inconvenient to have to download a separate Facebook App just to get my messages. I usually just check them from my mobile internet or from my laptop. Plus I don't trust all the negative feed back from the permissions from this app.
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?