BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Mariell T.
Bristol, CT
Techie Expert Level 3
I was bummed when Facebook basically forced us to get this app because I liked the old messaging system better. It's a little bit of a nuisance to be honest. Once you get used to it you just get over it. I do like the gif addition, makes group chats fun.
Harlie L.
I absolutely love this app. I've had it since it first became available on the play store. I can instantly send pictures, record a voice message, send searchable images through bing without having to close the app, save, go back into the app ect, I can send those cute stickers. I can even call people right from the app! I cannot live without this app!
Megan G.
Strongsville , Oh
I am not a big fan of having to switch between apps in order to see my messages. I feel like messenger format is slightly confusing and cluttered. I have a hard time access certain messages like my "other" messages that go into a different file.
Ashley C.
Techie Expert Level 3
So unnecessary and pointless. There was nothing wrong with the original Facebook setup. I don't want more apps on my phone, it came with enough bloatware, adding things I didn't need in the first place takes up space I could use for something more important.
Bridget B.
Livonia, MI
Techie Expert Level 3
I'm not a fan of this app because I am always running out of space on my phone, and I wish that I could have just kept my conversations within Facebook. Other than that I don't have a problem with it but it doesn't seem useful to me, I haven't noticed anything better about messaging through the messenger app than messaging was in Facebook itself.
Hannah S.
Oshkosh, WI
I haven't had any problems with messenger, I find it very convenient and that I do have enough storage on my phone. Some people have complained about the terms and conditions in which they can see all your information, but almost every app has that. What you don't know wont kill you is how I see it. Great app, easy to use, and convenient.
Jessica B.
HATE IT. HATE. The fact I have to download a completely separate app just to message someone is absurd. Don't get me started on the messages that are immediately sent to your spam until you decide to dig them up months too late. Plus, Everytime you add a new friend they start a potential message between you two and it clogs up your messenger.
Hayley R.
Barre, MA
I dispise the Facebook messenger app. I found it way to inconvenient to have not one, but two Facebook apps! I always hate the stickers that they have I always accidentally send them or they get saved into my camera roll somehow. I wish Facebook would recombine messenger and the regular app and I might consider using my Facebook to connect with friends again
Ashlee S.
This app is completely not necessary. I hate having it take up space on my phone and the fact that you need it to read your messages. The fb app was much better when you could still read your messages. Stupid app. Stupid that you need it.
Tripti N.
I downloaded this app to try before it became required. I used it for about a day. The system is pretty decent and streamlined, however, I think the bigger issue at hand is the fact that it's a secondary app and this should be available on the original Facebook app. If they were to merge the two interfaces together, this would be amazing! However, then again you face the issue of privacy and how they can tap into your conversations to personalize your ads.
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?