BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
MK R.
Techie Expert Level 2
I didn’t have a choice but to download the app because it wouldn’t let me message on Facebook without it. I really don’t like that it is taking up more storage space on my phone when i shouldn’t have to download it if I already have the Facebook app. I don’t hardly ever use messenger anyways so it’s literally just taking up space for no reason at all. Im very unhappy with this app!
Tiffany C.
I love this app. I downloaded it after Facebook gave me no other option but to. I was a little skeptical because of all the harsh things people have made up about it, but it's not bad at all. I enjoy not having to go to Facebook just to message someone. And instead of just a notification, a little bubble pops up with that person's picture! It's really neat and comes in handy.
raichel j.
Slow and battery sucking but the easiest way to chat with people on Facebook that you may not have their number. A necessary mode of communication but not fancy or user friendly. And the notification to chat every time u friend a new person is the bane of my existence
Rachelle W.
Not a huge fan of the Facebook Messenger. Why is it we need yet another app on our phone? It was perfectly fine using the Facebook app we already had to check our messages we have. I just think it's a waste of space on my phone, then to also make us use it! eerks me
Sarah R.
I do not like the separate app for messaging. It's just messaging. I do not get why you need all of this calling, facetiming, stickers, and all of this extra stuff added when you can easily do that from your phone without the app. I think it's a waste and unnecessary.
Riya J.
Techie Expert Level 1
I don't get why FB had to made a separate messager to chat with your FB friends. It's now more like I have to use separate app to message someone who is online, what the point in that. I have multiple other messaging apps/function in my phone that gets the work done. Maybe if you don't have messaging services on your phone, only then I can imagine this being useful.
Vernae H.
Techie Expert Level 2
The app works fine. It's just a bit inconvenient, so I rarely use it. I guess messaging was slowing down Facebook. You can also download characters and stickers to better express yourself.

Now, when someone wants to say something to you, you just touch his face (to type a reply) or drag his face to the 'x' at the bottom of the screen (to ignore). I think I uninstalled it.
Ashley D.
Just ok. I like being able to message through fb but wish it was just part of the fb app and not a whole separate app. And I hate how some messages get filtered so that you never see them unless you go on a computer and look at your messages in the full version of fb.
Lovey G.
Tulsa, OK
I absolutely refuse to add this. Fortunately my smartphone doesn't make me, but I know that folks using an iPhone are forced to update to this or not be able to read messages from their phone. epic fail on Facebook for forcing people to update this feature.
Priscilla A.
My boyfriend and I like the messenger app. We never had a problem with it and it's a nice way to connect with people. I use it to text my friend that doesn't have a cell at the moment and my boyfriend uses it to video chat with is mom. I love that you could chat, call and video chat with the app. The video chat feature is like snapchat in the sense that you be use props while chatting it's a lot of fun.
Davia C.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?