BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Imani R.
Obssessed with the Facebook Messenger app, constantly asking my friends to get it. I have a Samsung S4 & have found that it works especially well with the Android interface, love that the chat heads can stay up regardless of what other app you are on at the same time. Then with an easy swipe to the bottom you can exit the conversation. So easy, and great to use when talking & sharing photos with friends internationally!
Rebecca H.
I have a love hate relationship with messenger. I hate the fact that you are required to use it if you are using the app instead of the browser. It took forever to figure out how to get rid of the bubble heads. Only half the time does it even show me I have new messages and it often closes on me in the middle of typing a message. This is an app that loves to irritate you but you cant really just give it up either.
Rosemaria S.
This app sends messages quick and easy, it really helps a lot when your text messages aren't able to be sent you can just go on this app and message them from there if they have a Facebook account. You're able to send photos, videos, voice messages, and etc. through this app and it's quite amazing.
Briana H.
Minot Afb, ND
Techie Expert Level 1
I don't like that they had to make an app just for messaging. It was a lot simpler when you could do it all in one place on facebook. Now this app takes up unnecessary storage space. its okay for video chatting and keeping in touch, but other than that I try to avoid using this app.
Maricarmen A.
Honestly I still don't think there was a need for a separate app just to chat with people. It doesn't have cool features. The majority of the time I think that it takes up space. However, I do notice that now it is a little bit faster and easier to communicate with others on Facebook.
Monica T.
Reseda, CA
Techie Expert Level 3
Honestly I don't like this app at all. I don't think there's a point needed to take space from your phone. And also you can't go through your Facebook messages without this. I don't see a point to it. And people can call you through Facebook. Face time you . I don't really like that.
Taylor Z.
Warminster, PA
I like the actual app, but wish there weren't so many apps for Facebook functions! The one thing that's kind of annoying about this app is that it's hard to find messages sometimes. If people are not your friend and they request to message you it's almost impossible to find the message later.
Victoria D.
Rayne, LA
Sometimes I like this app and sometimes it annoying when people keep sending you chain letters!!!!! I do t know if there's a way to turn that persons message off without being rude I know it's not the app just putting it out there. Are when I turn if off and I say I'm not online and people still say it shows I'm available and they think I'm ignoring them which I am but please show I'm signed off!!!!!
Natalie A.
Techie Expert Level 2
I never like to use the word 'hate' .. but I absolutely hate messenger app!! Of course everyone is forced to download it which I think is ridiculous in should be option. But what I can't stand the most about this app, is that people are allowed to call you from it. There should be an option that you could turn on and off and choose whether or not people are allowed to call. Worst app ever created
Madison G.
Fresno, CA
Techie Expert Level 3
I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook. And to the people who were worried about "security," you should look at the other apps you download and see what info they read. Nothing less than what the messenger app reads. It's a nice app just an extra unnecessary app to take up more space on my phone
Davia C.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?