BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Grace L.
Mechanicsburg, PA
I like it for communicating with my friends who are overseas. A little disappointed that I have to have a completely different app to use it. Mainly because even if I'm not on that app it shows me as online if I'm using Facebook. Quite frankly I don't want to be seen as online if I'm not in an actual app because I hate switching over
Teph W.
Portland, OR
I really like having a dedicate app for FB messages. I tend to talk to people over FB messenger throughout the day and only use FB for other things on my computer, so it's nice to have the separation. The app itself is pretty intuitive and easy to use. I gave this app a B instead of an A because I don't always get new message notifications. It's very inconsistent so I find myself checking the app a couple times throughout the day to make sure I haven't missed anything.
Kayla V.
Fresno, CA
For me Messenger is nice. I love all the sounds, how I can take pictures, videos, record voices, and etc... but the only downfall part about it is that, people can hack into my things, or look at my personal things... I don't know, maybe they can even see me ?! And it sucks how Facebook switched over to Messenger every time we wanna message. -.- Kinda annoyed how I have to go back and forth. But I would love it more if they couldn't hack us or anything.
Crystal R.
Saint Louis, MO
Facebook Messenger is pretty cool. Not sure why you have to have two separate apps to communicate...I also like how it filters unknown senders so that you don't have to receive random messages from folks. I just keep having to remember not to hit the messenger icon within the app, but instead exiting the app in order to go to the other app. Ugh.
Daniel d.
Edinburg, TX
I hate that I was forced to download this so that I could see what someone wrote to me although it doesn't not show you when someone new sends you a conversation especially someone that isn't a friend already. I preferred reading my messages on Facebook itself and now you have to still do that but by going to "other folder" to read messages you don't get on the app. So I ask if you cant get all your messages on the app what is the point of the app?
Bridgette J.
Shawnee, OK
The app is great but the fact that it's separate from the Facebook app is really freaking annoying. I'll admit it is handy to be able to log into a separate profile and inbox if I wanted to or keep my messages open but my profile off (and vise versa) but there's no excuse for being forced to download both apps other than reliance on social media. It's also really inconvenient because it takes up more space to download both. Opinions based on iOS and Android use.
Michelle N.
Lexington, KY
To be honest, I wasn't quick to jump on the Facebook Messenger bandwagon. I had heard horrible things about the app and wanted no part.... After consideration, I gave the app a try and now I use it everyday! It's so easy to use, and its just like iMessage (on Apple devices). I love using the Gif's too. I have several groups on Facebook Messenger, and I use it to communicate with friends and family. Give it a try if you haven't already!!
Seleena P.
I love fb messenger and I don't care what anybody says about it! They can hack basically anything if they really try but tbh regular people aren't cared about as much as celebrities. Fb messenger is quick, fun and cute. * I really like how depending on the season when you open&close a convo or just move it, little things rain on the recipient's propic like for winter it was snow, new years it was confetti and little 2015's
Rebecca W.
Olivet, MI
This is got to be the stupidest thing Facebook came up with and they were asked to be more with it and theres gotta be more to the rumors that you know they're trying to control every aspect of what we do what we say and I hate that crap it was working just fine there was no reason to as they say in prove it and now I find a pain in the butt in the hassle I don't want my inbox to be a messenger I want my inbox to be my phone.
Imani R.
Obssessed with the Facebook Messenger app, constantly asking my friends to get it. I have a Samsung S4 & have found that it works especially well with the Android interface, love that the chat heads can stay up regardless of what other app you are on at the same time. Then with an easy swipe to the bottom you can exit the conversation. So easy, and great to use when talking & sharing photos with friends internationally!
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?