BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Kellye M.
Greenwood, SC
I'm just not a fan of having two apps for what one app can do (same with foursquare/swarm). To me, it just takes up more time, memory and space on your desktop layout. I also don't like that you can't just click on the person in your list as before and go to their page, as now it opens up an entirely new app. However, I wasn't given a choice, and with Facebook basically becoming part of life, I will manage it :)
Ashley C.
Timonium, MD
Techie Expert Level 3
For as much effort as they put into constantly updating the Facebook app they should be able to make this better. I trade pins and vinyl figures in a lot of groups on Facebook and when people that aren't my friend message me it gets sent to another folder that d9esnt always give me a notification. Which looks like I'm ignoring them.

Other than that it works as it should.
Dorthy T.
Pearland, TX
At first I was kind of pissed about having to download this app because facebook basically forced you to download this by blocking your messages with their ads for this app but now I use this app more than I use the actual facebook app. It was useful because you can reply to people even without closing whatever app you're currently in or disrupt your activities. But now I'm kind of sad because the circle doesn't appear anymore and I have to exit out of whatever I'm doing just to reply to people.
Marisol G.
I don't use the app a lot but I think it's good. I like that you can make call and video calls too, I like that you can see the contacts that you interact the most with in the app, I give it 4 starts only because I don't like the idea of opening an app whenever I want to message my family or friends, but other than that is a good addition to Facebook
Angel O.
Lexington, NC
I like this, but having a separate app is a bit of a nuisance. It take up so much room in my phone. I have to have because that is how I communicate with a group of old high school friends. I also use it for business. Sometimes it will not allow me to view videos in it. The app is finicky. They seem to be improving it though to make it more user friendly. I love the gif option though.
Alissa M.
Grove city, OH
The app works good only I don't like how it is required you have to use this now to message anybody
I don't have a lot of storage on my phone so had to delete things to install it.
And a lot of times I will be writing a long message and it will say "messenger has stopped" or exit out and when I go back to my message what I had typed disaperred.
Candy B.
Sahuarita, AZ
Techie Expert Level 3
I use this app everyday to talk to my long distance boyfriend and my overseas friends. It's great for keeping contact with people who are far away. The app's voice calls and video calls are quite clear which is great. I'm still indecisive whether I enjoy FB messenger as a separate app or not. I just wish their updates weren't as big, taking up a lot of phone storage.
Kaylynn R.
Cridersville, OH
Techie Expert Level 3
I've had nothing but trouble with this app since i was FORCED to download it. I sell a lot of things via facebook rummage sites and rely on messaging back and forth with the buyer to have smooth transactions. Half the time the app logs me out without my knowledge. And I can't tell you how often I get messages from buyers that go directly into the "others" folder. There is no way to check the "others" folder via the app, so I miss a lot of messages, therefore a lot of sales.
Mallory A.
Trumann, AR
I love Facebook Messenger it allows the most simple and quickest way to communicate with your friends. The updates have added a lot more personal settings like changing the colors and emojis for each conversation you have. Plus you can group message which I love. It does waste my battery and drains it so I have to turn of my notifications at times.
Grace L.
Mechanicsburg, PA
I like it for communicating with my friends who are overseas. A little disappointed that I have to have a completely different app to use it. Mainly because even if I'm not on that app it shows me as online if I'm using Facebook. Quite frankly I don't want to be seen as online if I'm not in an actual app because I hate switching over
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?