BY FACEBOOK, INC.

Instantly reach the people you care about. Messenger is a fast, free and reliable way to stay in touch. It's just like texting, but you don't have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan). Features: Get to your messages without opening Facebook. Bring your conversations to life with stickers. Send photos privately. Have group conversations and make plans on the go. Text your phone contacts, even if you're not Facebook friends. Share your location so people know when you're nearby. Record voice messages. Make free calls, even to friends in other countries. Know when people have seen your messages. See who's available on Messenger and who's active on Facebook. Stay logged in so you never miss a message. Turn off notifications when you're working, sleeping or just need a break. see more...

• Why does this app even exist? Was there a reason that is ...8 Answers
  • DO you actually understand where these permissions are co...2 Answers
  • Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with Mess...4 Answers
Facebook Messenger
  • "At first I was not looking forward to having a separate app for messaging on Facebook, but it comes in handy when you need to use an app and have a chat head open for convenience." in 15 reviews
  • "This is a great app for Facebook so you can message people on Facebook but I don't like that they made it into another app other than just the Facebook app and you need the messenger app to talk to them " in 11 reviews
  • "I've never had a problem with messenger, but I just think it's stupid that I have to have the messenger app to message people on Facebook." in 8 reviews
  • "The Messenger app works fine and is a great way to keep in touch with friends using data or wifi, but I really don't understand why they needed to make an entirely new app separate from the Facebook app." in 7 reviews
  • "I'm not a big fan of the fact that I am required to use this app in order to talk on messenger on my phone." in 6 reviews
Kimberly M.
North Edwards
Techie Expert Level 1
Facebook Messenger is a great way to chat with friends and family without having to log on to Facebook. It has ways to make group chats, video chats, and just plain old chat. I use it for making video calls with my grandchildren on a regular basis. Facebook Messenger also has gifd, emojis and stickers to decorate your chat. You can also block people from chatting with you on this app. I have seen this app on tablets, smartphones and computers. It comes free in the Play Store for tablets and smartphone. And for computers that operate Windows 10 it comes from the store. All those are freeware programs. They work very well 4 keeping in touch. I would definitely suggest this to others to download. And I will continue to use it on a regular basis.
Kristine A.
Techie Expert Level 1
I hate this app. I think it’s completely pointless for it to be separate from the Facebook app. It just takes up space on my phone. I’ve deleted it several times (only redownloading it for short amount of times when I really need to). I don’t think it adds any value. Most of the time it just gets used by “friends” who want to spam me with chain messages and requests to buy whatever product they’re selling now.
Erica C.
Athens
I really don’t like the Facebook messenger app. I think it’s ridiculous that there has to be a separate app from the regular Facebook app just to send messages on Facebook. They should just add this feature to the regular Facebook app. Additionally, I get a notification every time I add a new friend in the separate messenger app telling me to start a conversation with them which is just stupid. I hate this app!!!
Alexis L.
Lake Charles, LA
Techie Expert Level 1
I have always had a good experience on Facebook Messenger cuz I talk to people there like all the time on there all the time and I really don't have any complaints about it maybe sometimes it won't register my phone or sometimes on be able to hear my friend whenever I'm video chatting him but other than that I really don't have an issue with it there's only one Conor about it that I just like I just like how you could combined your text messages and your mess Facebook messenger's messages on there and I actually don't like it at all but I'm glad that they have an option of you not to do it because then you get a whole bunch of notifications on your text message and it's actually from your Facebook messenger and I that's one thing I actually dislike
samantha e.
San Jose, CA
Techie Expert Level 5
I have never had any major problems when using this app.  I use it daily to chat with most people, I rarely use my text messages on my phone.  I love how easy it is to use emojis, gifs, photos, etc.  It does seem to take up quite a bit of space in my phone though.
Sara R.
Camdenton, MO
Techie Expert Level 2
This is something that I use constantly to keep in contact with my family. I have never had any issues with it glitching or doing weird things. The only thing that I dont like is that it doesn't show when you have other messages in your other folder. So I missed out on lots of connections over the use of it.
Allison W.
Mckinney, TX
I don’t like that Facebook and Facebook messenger are 2 separate apps! In fact, I quit FB messaging altogether for about a year, finally broke down & downloaded *only bc a contact of mine no longer had my phone number to reach me.

Also, Facebook in general is not my favorite! You never can get a clean list of most recent posts. Also, Facebook completely sold out years ago... it just ad based junk now, in my opinion.
Savannah C.
Rancho Cucamonga
Techie Expert Level 1
At first I did not want to download the app because i didn’t want to have a separate app for Facebook, but I’m glad I did. It’s easier to talk to friends and family on here. I also like to send picture through messenger because it doesn’t come out blurry like if I’m sending from an iPhone to an android.
Kendall K.
Indiana
Techie Expert Level 1
This app is fine for what it is. I don’t use it often, but it does come in handy if you’re trying to get a hold of someone and you don’t have heir phone number (chances are they have a Facebook, so they’re easy to find!). I actually ended up getting my first job from someone reaching out to me on FB messenger because she didn’t have my number! So while I don’t use it often, it’s definitely a nice app to keep on your phone.
lidia a.
Fort Worth
I don't like the updates on this but I like the app i can make video calls to my family in Mexico or in other parts of here and I won't really have a problem with the call cutting off and plus it's free
Davia G.
Huntsville, AL
Techie Expert Level 1
What's your biggest irritating issue you have had with the messenger?
Star S.
Techie Expert Level 3
If you could redesign this app, what would you do?
Fa Leasha R.
Gloucester , VA
Is anyone else upset about the picture setting that automatically sends your picture without giving you a chance to review it?
Bear H.
Arlington, TX
Why do many people dislike this app?
Valerie S.
Albertville, AL
Do you think Facebook will go back to just chat without messenger? Or Will they change it again somehow?