Nicole A.
Baltimore
Review for: 2N1 Desert Beige - Neutral Undertone, Estée Lauder double wear foundation, Other more...
Where to begin with this one?  I don't hate it but I don't love it.  I had a hard time getting this to work for me and to perform consistently.  I have the same skin prep routine but tried different moisturizers, primers, and setting sprays and haven't found a great combination yet.  Sephora's website provides the following claims: Good for all skin types offering full coverage with a matte finish.  Here are my thoughts based on my experience with this product and their claims:

Shade: I am between shades 1N2 Ecru (pale ivory beige with neutral undertones) and 2N1 Desert Beige (light to medium beige with warm neutral undertones).  I did not want to spend the money on two foundations to mix so I bought 2N1 thinking I could add in my Cover FX Custom Cover Drops if necessary.  The shade was a decent shade match and works best for in the summer when I have more color.  I did find that this is difficult to match.

Coverage: This is definitely full coverage.  Is it the fullest coverage I have tried? No - but it is probably in the top 3.  I found myself having to sheer it out with a moisturizer as it was just to full for me.  I played with different application methods and definitely prefer a damp beauty blender with this one.  It takes away a bit of the coverage but leaves a much nicer finish and more flawless application.  When using a brush, I found this applied to heavily and emphasized texture on the skin.  I also noticed that in areas where I tend to produce more oils, this ended up separating and looking pretty cakey (usually around my nose, between my eyes and on the apples of my cheeks).

Finish: This definitely has a matte finish but I found it to be a bit more natural and not super matte/tightening.  It has a very thin consistency.  This definitely dries down quickly and I found that other products were easy to blend on top of this.  My biggest complaint is that this settled into every crease and fine line.  I tried setting it with powder but that only left my face looking dry and cakey after a little while.  I tried using smoothing primers and soft focus/blurring primers and this did nothing.  I made sure to use water based products as well.  On the plus side, this transferred very little if I set using a powder and setting spray and does look very nice from a distance and in photos.  It also lasts all day IF you can keep it from settling and separating.

I will keep playing with this foundation and trying it with different products to see if I can get it to work.  It looks really nice when you first apply it and I love that it is a more natural matte finish and has lasting power.  I really enjoy the  Estée Lauder Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup SPF 30 and wanted to give this a try for days where I need more coverage and lasting power.  At this time, I would not repurchase unless I can find a combination that works.