Add a Photo

By essie

#9 in Nail Polish

America’s nail salon expert since 1981, essie was founded in New York City by Essie Weingarten. essie is beloved for its visionary approach to nail lacquer featuring catchy, clever names that created a new standard for the category. A leader in luxury, essie is the go-to nail brand for beauty professionals, industry insiders, celebrities and women of style in over 100 countries. As the colour authority, essie is center stage on runways around the world from New York to Paris. essie offers highly-anticipated colour collections, exclusively curated by the brand’s Global Colour Designer, Rebecca Minkoff. essie is committed to safe standards with an award-winning line of nail care products and more than 900 shades to date.

Photos (803)
Aliyah T.
Aliyah T.
Harvest, AL

I'd heard a lot of great things about this nail polish before I bought it, so I was expecting some really fantastic nail polish. But unfortunately it wasn't all that. It was ok. I did like that it dried very quickly and had a nice, high shine finish but I was hoping that it would've been a little more durable. It looked amazing the first day or two. That is, until it started to chip. Now I will admit that I use my hands a lot, which results in any nail polish that I'm wearing to chip pretty quickly unless I have them done professionally. I also didn't use a top coat, but I haven't had any further success in keeping my nail polish from chipping even when I do wear one. Another thing that can definitely be approved upon is the price. This stuff costs $8. Personally, I can't afford to be buying $8 nail polish all of the time or just whenever. And even if I could, I don't think I would want to anyway. If there was more product, then I would be more willing to spring for it every now and then. Luckily, I managed to catch it while it was on sale for half the price. But $8 is just too much for any nail polish in my opinion unless it gives you nail salon results. Although I can't rate this nail polish too harshly since my expectations were pretty high, I do like it while it lasts.
Caitlin A.
Caitlin A.
Beaumont, TX

I really did not want to give this such a poor review, since it has so many other fabulous reviews, but I was just really not happy with this nail polish. First of all, it's about $8 per bottle which is insane, because you can get Maybelline's nail polish (which is my favorite brand and they're amazing) for $4-$6 or sally hansen/OPI for around the same price if not cheaper. Everyone I know uses Essie and I always hear about how amazing it is. I finally got around to buying some, and ended up buying a few bottles just because of how high reviews it got. BIG mistake. Maybe it's just this color in particular (I have yet to try the others) but I was NOT impressed. The pigment and coverage wasn't what I expected for double what I normally pay for nail polish. After ONE day it was already chipping. I expected so much more from such an expensive product. The color was pretty, but I can find a dupe in another brand that will actually stay on my nails. Maybe I had a bad bottle, because the rest of the reviews leave nothing but phenomenal words. I will give it one more go with a different bottle and see if it works out! But for me, it wasn't worth the price point.
FELIX M.
FELIX M.

I'm really happy with this polish. Below are the facts.

Firstly, Essie Licorice is a very true black, and by that, I mean it's the kind of black that is very obviously black. For the purpose of this review, let's forget the whole "black's not a color, it's a shade" routine. There are many different shades of black, some being blue-, green-, yellow-, and red-based. So sometimes, you might view a black thing as dark navy blue or dark brown, charcoal, dark burgundy, deep hunter green, etc. Essie Licorice doesn't have that problem. You'll know it's genuine, honest black as soon as the 2nd coat is on (the 1st coat will appear brown, but only because this polish needs 2 coats to achieve full opaqueness). To me, the truest black is yellow-based black. A yellow undertone only makes black blacker, with no hint of any other color, whereas any other color-based black will just over-power the black and turn it into whatever color the undertone is. That’s why sometimes black things appear a dark blue, brown, charcoal, green, burgundy, etc. Endless story short, Essie Licorice is yellow-based, and it’s good.
Grace C.
Grace C.
Coquitlam, British Columbia

I received Ballet Slippers (a very light pink) and No More FIlm (a dark blue-purple), as well as a base coat and top coat.
Base coats are hard to compare. It was like all my other base coats.
No More Film is a gorgeous colour and I used only 1 coat on my toenails and the color was opaque!
As for Ballet Slippers, the name and colour are adorable, BUT it is such a light colour that it took a good 3 coats to look good on my nails. Even after 1 or 2 coats, it still looked gross, like I had some sort of infectious growth on my nails. Also, this polish takes FOREVER to dry, much longer than brands like Revlon or Sally Hansen. I had many mishaps while waiting for them to dry, and the mistakes become very noticeable even after I cover them up with another coat of polish.
As for the top coat, I don't have anything negative to say about it, but it was pretty much the same as the one I usually use from Essence (which is much cheaper).
Overall, I enjoy Essie because of their reputation, but don't see anything spectacular in their formulation.
Erica S.

This nail color it's so girly and cute and so fun and trendy, how could you not purchasing it? when I first heard about Essie nail polish I had extremely high hopes for it. so many of my friends and family and prominent bloggers and YouTube gurus had given it rave reviews. once I tried the polishes for myself, including Go Ginza color, I was shocked and not in a good way. The colors and variety of colors are AMAZING but the way the color goes on is too thin. you need numerous coats if you want to evenly distribute the color on your nails. the more coats of color you do though, the more careful you need to be or else it will look uneven. Also the color did not last long, within a few days it was chipped very noticeably. I would buy them for the great trendy selection of colors alone and wear them quickly but I wouldn't keep it in for more than 2 days without changing it up or else I'd be walking around with chipped nails. Even chipped though, the color doesn't get dull. that's a plus!
Erica S.

Essie has an amazing bright, fun, trendy and very large polish selection. They are between $8 - $10 per 46 FL oz bottle. The prices are a bit on the expensive side but the color payout and how long they last is worth paying the extra bucks. They go on very smooth and bold. Also the polishes are on the thinner side, so you do need to apply at least 2 and even sometimes 3 coats but your nails will look like they were professionally done. I change my nail color quite often, once a week but there's been plenty of times I've left it on longer, like right now. I've had their Turks & Caicos mint color on for almost 2 weeks now & only as of yesterday was there any sign of wear. They still are shiny and only chipped in 1 tiny spot on 1 finger and it was because of something I did, not the actual polish itself. I'm very pleased with Essie. I wish their price was a bit lower though but either way I love them and buy them constantly.
dhaka, dhaka

I absolutely love this nail polish! It's drys fairly quickly and hardly chips. I've been wearing the same color for a week (without a top coat) and only one nail has a small chip. The only thing I noticed was if you wear it for long without a top coat, it does start to crack but you can hardly notice it. I'd say that's a lot better than chipping. The brush does take some getting used to since the handle is short and the brush is pretty thin. When you start putting it on, it does start out streaky but once I put 3-4 coats, there are no more streaks. The polish is pretty thin, so that might explain why it drys so quickly compared to other polishes like OPI and China Glaze. Plus Essie has TONS of colors to chose from! If cost is a problem and you want to get them for cheaper (like me!), I would suggest going to Winners, if there is one near you (sorry Americans). I'm sure I'm not the only one who you rather pay $5 then $8.
dhaka, dhaka

Nicole Z.
Nicole Z.
Morning View, KY

I had such high hopes for this product. The bad thing about this is that it is sheer and I have to put on at least 3 coats for it to give me a completely opaque color on my nails. It chips/messes up pretty easily, and that is after I use the Sally Hansen Dries Instantly Top Coat, which has been reliable for me for endless other nail polishes so I know it wasn't because of the top coat. If you are doing a lot of stuff when you put this on, or even just going to school and shopping and whatever, then it will probably chip, which is so disappointing. It unfortunately looks streaky, too, but I'm not sure yet if that is because it is just the product or if it is how I am applying it. All in all, I was really disappointed. Essie needs to reformulate it so that it is opaque because it's a beautiful color! It's just...everything else. I'll keep using it because I paid money for it, but I won't repurchase it. :(
Maria V.
Maria V.

This is by far the longest lasting nail polish I have ever used.

I love nail polish, but it seems that whenever I use it, within a day it is chipped. I have been given professional manicures as a gift several times as well, and each time, I get a chip or a smudge within 24 hours.

Recently, I picked up Essie at my local store because it was on sale, and I liked the ballet slipper color. When I got it home and applied it, I realized that it goes on nearly clear. I put it on Friday to try out the color, thinking I would redo it for a wedding on Saturday. To my surprise, it looked fresh on Saturday. I have now had the polish on for 5 days, and there is not a single chip, even though I have been doing cleaning, gardening, etc. I have a job interview today, and it seems pointless to redo my nails because the 5 day old manicure is absolutely perfect! I will certainly buy Essie again!
Gladys N.
Gladys N.

Are double coats necessary?
Ashley R.
Ashley R.

Never tried ant Essie brands, are they worth all the hype?
Katelynn K.
Katelynn K.
Palm Bay, FL

I have been looking for this color, who would carry this color? I hate to order it online & can't seem to find it in stores.
christine f.
christine f.

How many coats does this need for the color to show up well? Essie is a pricier nail Polish, so just want to make sure before I purchase. Thanks in advance😊
dalia a.
dalia a.
sydney

Does essie have good pastel nail colors?

Join Now