BY ESSIE #16 in Nail Polish

America’s nail salon expert since 1981, essie was founded in New York City by Essie Weingarten. essie is beloved for its visionary approach to nail lacquer featuring catchy, clever names that created a new standard for the category. A leader in luxury, essie is the go-to nail brand for beauty professionals, industry insiders, celebrities and women of style in over 100 countries. As the colour authority, essie is center stage on runways around the world from New York to Paris. essie offers highly-anticipated colour collections, exclusively curated by the brand’s Global Colour Designer, Rebecca Minkoff. essie is committed to safe standards with an award-winning line of nail care products and more than 900 shades to date.

ashlee w.
Review for: mint candy apple more...
I had very high hopes for the Essie brand being as many of my friends have suggested it to me. The other day I heard even the Queen wears this particular brand in the color Ballerina Shoes. I had just recently cleaned out all my old polishes and finally was in the market for a few new colors. Essie! I had thought, should be the brand I try next since I had been hearing such great remarks on it. In a local drugstore I stood for what felt like forever, gazing at the vast array of colors I had to choose from. I settled on Mint Candy Apple, recently deciding I needed to try colors that weren't black or red. Applying was a cinch, the color rich in pigment and only needed two coats. I used my favorite top coat and with my new manicure was ready to get my day started. Not even two hours and I already had a few chips. How strange, I hadn't being doing anything that would cause this! By the end of the day my new nails looked like I had painted them a week ago ;( I went back and tried a few more colors thinking this was just a bad color, but sadly something in their formula causes the polish to chip incredibly bad on me.
Abbey L.
Painesville, OH
Review for: maki me happy, marshmallow, chinchilly, ballet slippers more...
Essie polishes are talked about all of the time as being some of the best...but honestly, I think they're completely over-rated. Especially for the price!

I've picked up quite a few of these colors - the shade selection is GORGEOUS, and Essie is always coming out with great new colors. The packaging is adorable on the outside, but once you open the bottle is where my complaints begin. The brush is annoyingly small! I prefer a wider brush that allows me to coat more of my nail at one time. On top of that, the formula is lackluster. If I paint my nails in the morning with an Essie polish, I'm almost sure to have a chip or two by dinner time.

Maybe I'm just too rough with my hands, but I can get cheaper polishes at the drugstore that perform better. These shades truly are stunning, but the wear time makes them a pass for me.
Jackie H.
Review for: petal pushers more...
I had an itch for a grey colored nail polish that was more on the bluer side. Im so happy that Petal Pushers easily popped up on my Google search because I became instantly obsessed with the color after ! I was on a HUNT for this color in stores. After not finding it in my local CVS and Walgreens, I purchased it on Target since I had a coupon :)

I think this color is PERFECT for the fall! I'm normally a warm-toned nail polish wearer, but I think this looks absolutely beautiful on the nails.

Essie's polish formula is a hit or miss at times, but this polish is definitely a hit. Goes on super smooth, not streaky, opaque in two coats, and wears great ! I use Health Hoof Lacquer Top Coat atop this nail polish and it holds up just the same as other polishes. That's good considering I pick at my nails, am always drying them out with hand sanitizer, wash my hands frequently, and don't really care to "preserve" my manicure.

All in all, DEFINITELY pick up this nail polish if you're looking for a grey/blueish toned polish :) I'll be wearing this color all year around when I want to give myself a change from my normal nude colors.
Terri P.
Savannah, GA
Review for: ballet slippers more...
This Essie Nail Color Polish - Ballet Slippers  is the BEST Essie Nail Color Polish - Ballet Slippers nail polish I have ever used -- and I'm 57 years old.  It goes on smoothly and evenly.  It last without cracking and peeling for over a week.  I use two coats with no sealer.  I shower, wash dishes, clean, and still no chips.
The price is medium range:  I paid $6 for mine.
BALLET SLIPPERS is lovely light pink, delicate, and very feminine. It's perfect for young girls, bridesmaids, brides, appropriate for Church and formal gatherings.
Kim M.
I've tried a million different nail polishes and Essie polishes fall more or less in the middle. They are okay, but nothing special. The formula tends to be quite thin meaning I have to use 3-4 coats for opacity and they tend to chip sooner than others. I usually only buy Essie if there is a unique color I have to have. The brush is just a basic round polish brush which I don't like, I really prefer the paddle shapes. The price seems a bit high for what it is and I think they should be closer in price to China Glaze than OPI. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to polish so you might like these but my favorite ones are Marc Jacobs Beauty, Revlon colorstay gel, and Deborah Lippmann.
Leslie G.
Pittsford (town)
Review for: berried treasures, play date, muchi, muchi more...
One of my favorites in spring and going into summer nail colors!! By my favorite brand- Essie goes on smooth and doesn’t clump. Not bad pricing either and you can find it from your local drugstore to places like Ulta. I definitely recommend anything Essie!!Essie Nail Color Polish, 0.46 fl oz - Muchi, MuchiEssie Nail Color Polish, 0.46 fl oz - Play DateEssie Nail Color Polish, 0.46 fl oz - Berried Treasures
Ellen K.
Brooklyn, New York
Review for: wicked, mademoiselle, Imported bubbly, eternal optimist, Other more...
I am someone who prefers getting their nail professionally done but when I take the time and do my nails at home Essie is my favorite polish to use! I find that their brush is really easy to paint on polish and they have a huge color selection so I can always find a color no matter what mood I'm in or color I'm looking for. I think OPI is slightly better but Essie also doesn't chip a lot. Also a much better choice then Sally Hansen!
Brigid C.
Fort Collins, CO
Review for: topless & barefoot, blushing bride, sand tropez more...
I am a nail polish fanatic, I own waaaay to many colors! Going through my collection to find a nude color that i could use, I came across a few Essie colors (that I own already) and tried them all on to see. They all looked great, the formula is amazing, and I rarely get chips unless I'm doing crazy things with my hands. Even when I don't have any color on my nails, I use the Essie top coat to give my nails some shine ( and keep me from biting!) This is my go to item to get at Target when I don't need to be buying anything anyway!
Alicia M.
Niles
Review for: after school boy blazer more...
After school boy blazer by essie is my favorite of their shades. HOWEVER. i feel like all together Essie is way over rated for the price. ive purchased quite a few colors and have found that they dont go on thick enough, sometimes even 2 coats doesnt seem to be enough for the color to show evenly. and also the polish just doesnt last very long. the last one i used was literally rubbing off within 2 days. i will stick to their glitter polish but as for general colors, i go to another brand.
Christina G.
La habra , CA
Review for: mojito madness more...
This is isn’t my favorite polish , although it is one that can be easily found in any drugstore or retail store. It is an expensive polish . Not one I reach for often .
The polish has a thin brush which provides a fairly thin layer .
This polish usually requires more then one coat . Which is not a horrible thing because this polish does allow for multiple layers without looking awful.
There’s been some collections that have one or two colors that are unique shade and worth the purchase .
Ashley R.
Never tried ant Essie brands, are they worth all the hype?
christine f.
Palm Harbor, FL
How many coats does this need for the color to show up well? Essie is a pricier nail Polish, so just want to make sure before I purchase. Thanks in advance😊
dalia a.
sydney
Does essie have good pastel nail colors?
Katelynn M.
I have been looking for this color, who would carry this color? I hate to order it online & can't seem to find it in stores.
Madi A.
Does this nail polish require a lot of coats to be pigmented?