BY E.L.F. COSMETICS #5 in Eye Primer

This lightweight formula quickly absorbs into skin and preps eyeshadow keeping it from creasing. Use it for a more vibrant and long lasting eye look with every use.

HOW TO USE

Squeeze a small amount of the eyelid primer onto your finger.

Gently pat it over the eyelid.

Wait for the formula to dry before applying eyeshadow.

Isododecane, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Hydrogenated Polybutene, Triacontanyl Pvp, Propylene Carbonate, Retinyl Palmitate (Va), Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Silica, Tin Oxide, Quartz, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Red 40 Lake (Ci 16035)

• Do you apply primer EVERY time you do your eyeshadow? 9 Answers
  • What would your eyeshadow look like if you don't use prim...4 Answers
  • How good is it? How long does it last?1 Answers
e.l.f. Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer
  • "I love it but there is a one dollar option too and that works well too! But this is three dollars and isn't greasy! Love it i wish they had more colors! They have sheer and Blush! However the one dollar comes in sheer, golden, pearl and champagne." in 1084 reviews
  • "I use urban decay and elf and honestly there doesn't seem to be too much of a distinct difference.. the price is wonderful " in 1050 reviews
  • "& works great my eyeshadow lasts when I use this product and I always buy it because it's so very affordable and i use it almost every day." in 254 reviews
  • "I have extremely oily eyelids and this primer didn't quite do the job for me, however I use this primer on my clients and it works like a charm." in 198 reviews
  • "I think it's a great primer, its not as smooth and soft like other primers I've tried but for the price, you can't go wrong with buying it" in 171 reviews
Ginjer R.
Westminster, CO
I have always been a huge fan of e.l.f. because they make quality products at insanely affordable prices, and this one is no exception. This is the first eyeshadow primer I ever tried because it was the cheapest I could find, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. The primer is unscented and it’s tinted but it applies sheer and dries transparent, which is important to me because I have very fair skin and tinted products are usually too dark/warm. I found that the formula is a lot thinner than most primers and has a slippery feel to it until it dries — which takes longer than my other primers — so I had to subtract a star, but it definitely does what it’s supposed to. I have hooded eyes which are prone to creasing and this product eliminates that problem while locking my shadow and liner in place all day — or until I want to take it off. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is new to eyeshadow primers and wants to try it out without breaking the bank, or those looking for a cheaper alternative to their current primer.
Briana N.
Honolulu, HI
Ok, so I have watched countless videos comparing this eyeshadow primer to the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer and I decided to try it out for myself. For $2 this primer is the bomb.com I tried it for the first time yesterday for Easter festivities and it did not let me down. I applied my makeup around 10:30 in the morning and I didn't come home until 9-10pm so a total of 12 hours I had a full face of makeup on and none of my makeup went anywhere. my eyeshadow looked just as I first applied it and there was no creases in the color either. 10/10 would reccommend if you are looking for a cheap and worth it eye primer. THan kyou E.L.F.!!!! <333
Marie P.
Maryville, TN
I like this primer a whole lot for the value alone. It’s only around $3 in my local store, which really makes it worth any purchase! It doesn’t last as long as some other drugstore brands, but it’s well pigmented to provide a good base on your lids and worked well in tandem with different shadows I used. I liked the applicator at first, but I was a little frustrated with how as you got the end of the tube, you really couldn’t get a consistent coating of primer on the brush. All in all, I always recommend this product to friends and family who are looking to branch out into different, more involved makeup routines!
Gillian V.
Ashburn
This is a great budget eyeshadow primer. I believe they reformulated this and renamed it "Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer", which is the one I have and it looks identical to the "Essential Eyelid Primer". This doesn't offer any coverage but it provides a smooth base for shadow application and prevents any creasing for 12 hours. I have trouble with my liquid liner getting on my upper eyelid and when I use this primer it completely prevents smudging or transfer of my liquid liner.
Kookie A.
🤔

Im not sure if its the bottle that I got! But i felt that
this e.l.f. Shadow Lock Eyelid Primer didn’t really do it for me. It was my first time buying it. I bought it at Target & it was on sale for $2.99 so I figured why not give it a try!

When I applied the my eyeshadow after the primer the color didn’t grab onto my eyelid like usually when I use my other eyelid primers. I also feel like the product dried somewhat fast after applying.

I won’t say I don’t recommend because it might work different for other skin types. But I probably wouldn’t purchase this specific one. However, ELF is pretty bomb. They have a lot of great products!
Natalie H.
richmond
I have always had a problem with my eyeshadow moving and all blending together which is not a good look. However, I did not want to spend a bunch of money on a primer. I found this product at target but it is also available for purchase at many drugstores and it completely changed my life. It works perfectly to keep my eyeshadow in tact all day, not to mention it is super affordable and also isn’t tested on animals. If you are looking for a primer that works effectively yet won’t break the bank, I highly recommend this primer! Will be buying this again!
Myah A.
This product did not work so well for me. And I was super disappointed because I love elf products. This eyelid primer was like 3$ at walmart so I decided to get it cause I love trying out new products. But I didn't really notice any difference in my eyeshadow. It did not make my eyeshadows pop more or stick better or last longer. I personally would not use it again but it may work out for others.
Christine (Nina) G.
Denver, CO
I absolutely love Elf cosmetics overall, however I was pretty disappointed in this primer. The consistency of the primer was a little too fluid, which made it go on a little unevenly, but once I got it on, I had high hopes. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to my standards and really didn’t seem to help with prolonging the life of my eyeshadow at all. Most of the time I’m super happy with elf’s products but I think this is one time you should spend a bit more money and get a better brand instead.
brenna f.
Cookeville
I was looking for a white eyeshadow primer and found this one, the packaging itsnt great but its about the product. What it doesnt say on the packaging is that this is an illuminating lid primer and its sparkly. I was looking for a matte primer so that way my bright colorful shadows would be more vibrant, which it does but It gives everything alittle bit of shimmer which I dont care for at all. If you dont mind an illuminating primer then this is fine, it does help shadows from fading and they dont transfer.
Megan A.
I have never used an eye shadow primer before, but I don't think this is how it's supposed to be. I got the white kind and it has glitter in it. It dries white, too. So if you're using a light colored shadow it looks messed up. It's also kind of chunky. I know you get what you pay for, but maybe I should use the non-white color next time. At least I didn't spend a lot on it!
Update: tried with another eyeshadow and it did not prevent creasing... which is why I bought it. Onto the next I guess
Caitlin H.
Rumford, RI
How many hours (on average) does your eye makeup stay on with this?
Elinor M.
Warren, MI
Am I the only one who thinks this is better than Urban Decays Primer Potion?
Elizabeth B.
Brooklyn, NY
For only $1.00, you can't beat the price. Do you feel the same way about most of the Elf line?
Taylor S.
Bridgeport, CT
Does the primer work well on your eyes?
Chelsea K.
Hattiesburg, MS
How do you apply this product and avoid creasing?