Add a Photo

By E.L.F. COSMETICS
#31 in Eyeliner

No more tugging or pulling on your eyelids with this easy glide Expert Liquid Liner. The smudge-proof liner is rich in color, creating a long lasting defined look. The fine tip brush creates easy and precise definition for natural or dramatic eye effects...

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isododecane, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Triethanolamine, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Tin Oxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), DC Black #2 (CI 77266), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035)

Photos (484)
Brieanna M.
Brieanna M.
Maricopa, AZ
This is sort of a runny, liquidy liquid liner (genius description, I know). Before you run it along your lid, you should rub the excess off on the side, or else you're going to end up with a blip of eyeliner where you don't want it. For such a little pot, it has plenty of eyeliner in it too.
It has a brush tip, that sometimes splits apart, but usually you can still get a crisp, defined line with it. It has a thinner brush than the NYC liquid liner, and the part you hold is much shorter. It has a matte finish, and while it doesn't stay completely intact on my oily, hooded eyes for 9 hours, it stays damn good enough, and can be easily solved by running a pencil liner over it, or by running black shadow along it. It doesn't flake off, it merely fades to a slightly less pigmented black. If you have very oily lids, or super hooded lids, I would stay away from this - it can take a bit to dry, and if your eyes are too hooded, it can easily transfer and smudge everywhere. It doesn't completely withstand my watery eyes at the corner either, so you either learn to wipe the smudgey bits away, like I do, or you steer clear of this, because it's not waterproof.
Overall, if you're learning to use liquid liner, this is a pretty cheap starting point, or if you like short, brush tip liquid liners, and don't have hooded, oily lids, I would say give this a try.
Kate P.
Kate P.
Portland, OR
Several years ago I was on the hunt for the perfect liquid eyeliner for my everyday winged eyel (aka the kitten eye). Most products advertised the latest and greatest fool proof "tip!" Chisel tips, two sided tips, tips ranging in size from ultra fine to something I would only use for decorating a car window! My first thought "a marker for your eyes - brilliant!" However, my excitement always turned to disappointment when the eye marker seemed to dry out almost immediately - no matter how fast I put the cap back on or how expensive the product. I quickly figured out I definitely prefer a traditional tiny brush for the tip. Other liquid eyeliners either had a great tip or had a great liquid formula but never both! Imagine my surprise when I saw a small e.l.f. display in a 711 (oh thank heaven)!! This liquid eyeliner was part of the display and I put it on the counter next to a 6 pack of IPA thinking, "at least a $2.00 product isn't going to feel like a punch in the gut when it turns out to be another bust!" The first time I used it, the entire cast of Sister Act was magically appeared behind me belting out Hail Holy Queen! Okay, at that point my expectations were at rock bottom, but seriously this stuff is good. Good enough to keep buying again and again and go back to when I get the itch to change it up.
Kaylah L.
Kaylah L.
Liverpool, NY
I love this liquid liner. The brush/ applicator is not stiff and is very easy to create a cat eye. I noticed a difference in formula between the black and the brown shades. The brown dries down matte, while the black shade takes longer to dry and is not as matte (interestingly enough). While I do like the black, I find I favor the brown (not for the color, but rather the formulation). As I said, I do like the black but I will say it is not the blackest black, if that makes sense. When I reach for a black eyeliner, I typically prefer something that's rich in color- the blacker, the better. Overall, for the price, this is a solid product and I would definitely recommend if you're looking for an inexpensive product. The fact that elf is cruelty free is another plus. I would absolutely repurchase this product. In the picture, the 2 lines on the left are black and the 2 lines on the right are brown (coffee).
Natalie  W.
Natalie W.
Ormond Beach, FL
I love pretty much every E. L. F. Product but this one just was a fail for me. I gave it every chance to be amazing and it just wasn't. I live for liquid eyeliner, I wear it on the daily and so I have pretty high expectations for it. I decided to give this one a try one day as it was on sale and all the other E. L. F. products I've purchased have been amazing. Unfortunately the applicator wasn't very precise. I could never get the lines to go where I want, which ordinarily isn't an issue for me. The formula wasn't very solid. You have to go over it 10 times to get it to be a solid black line. The consistency was just too watery. There was very little in the container, which is fine because of E. L. F. 's price point, but I didn't even get through the entire thing. I gave it up as a bad job after messing around with it a couple of times. Perhaps I just got a dud, I find that unlikely though.
Jasmine S.
Jasmine S.
This liquid liner is great for beginners who want to experiment with liquid eye liner. Because these liners are priced at $2, and they are sometimes available through the elf website for $1 a piece, I would definitely recommend trying this product. It's not a high quality product, but it's hard to complain for the price.

pros: fine tip brush makes it easy to create accurate strokes as desired, the thin brush allows you to create a perfect winged eye, easy to wipe off with a finger or wipe (if a mistake has been made)

cons: wears off easily, the color literally fades within a few hours, it's very difficult curling eye lashes after this product is on the lash line (whether it's wet or dried completely).

How I use this product: I enjoy the winged eyeliner look, so i use this particular liquid liner to create the outline of the wing. With a different liner, I fill in the wing and go over this.
Simona L.
Simona L.
Phillipsburg, NJ
Beauty Junkie Expert
bought a 3 pack of this eyeliner from Target last Halloween (2009). It came with a white, a glitter, and a black liner and I actually bought it for the glitter to go with my Halloeen Costume. Well the white and the glitter were a waste, but I figured I'd try the black one out (I paid $2.99 for all three). I was shocked and thrilled when it turned out that the black liner worked amazinly! It's easy to apply - I personally prefer a sponge tip to a brush - so I was thrilled to find out it came with that. It stays on all day, doesn't smudge, and is easy to remove - just with soap and water. I used to spend a ton of money on liquid liner - sometimes they're just plain messy, sometimes if you make a mistake, they're next to impossible to remove, and sometimes they just run all down your face as the day goes on - but this stuff doesn't do any of that. Plus, you can't beat the price!
Mariah W.
Mariah W.
Charleston, SC
E.l.f cosmetics is usually an over looked company in a whole. however, in my experience they have many hidden gems. Their liquid liner being on of them. No only does it provide smudge proof wear, but the applicator tip was made with ease of application in mind. I prefer the application method of this particular eyeliner over a felt tip, because a felt tip leaves a lot to be desired after applying over an eyeshadow. The residual left over from the shadow on the tips leaves the liner looking dull and there is no way in wiping the tip off without loosing the integrity of the liners tip. But with the tip method you can easily submerge the liner application into the product and come back with a fresh, true to color and ready to use applicator. I would recommend this product to makeup beginners. It allows you to practice perfecting a perfect liner without breaking the budget!
Yaqui Z.
Yaqui Z.
Scottsdale, AZ
July 12, 2016, 12:12 a.m.
Review for: Essential Black Eye Liner Elf Makeup Professional Sexy By E.L.F.
I remember buying this.It was like $1 and i thought i would love it and ended up hating it. When you do a swatch on your hand it looks. Like it's pigmented exactly like any other eyeliner.( i have kind of oily eyelids) So when i tried to do a normal eyeliner on my eyelids,it seperated and patchy, that the eyeliner wasn't even even. It's hard to explain but the middle of the eyeliner was missing think of it like when you do a normal eyeliner everything is filled in especially the inside of it,now think of the inside is empty and the only thing left is the outline of the eyeliner. I thought that since my eyelids were a bit oily that i might need eye primer or set my eyelids with powder, i even tried both and ended with the same results i don't have the eyeliner so i don't have pics of it. I am not trying to bash elf, i just hate this specific product
Marissa M.
Marissa M.
S Plainfield, NJ
I've heard many great reviews about this product, and I wanted to love it SO BADLY. The first time I purchased it, I thought I might've gotten a defective product. However, after re-purchasing it 2 more times, I realized this was just how the formula was. I could not bring myself to like it. The formula was very wet and runny, and at some parts of my line, the eyeliner would start to feather out further up my lid toward my crease. It was not opaque enough for me to glide across my lid. When I tried to go over it a second time after letting it dry between coats, it would actually PICK UP some of the product I already put on my lid. I'm not sure if it was because of the formula's consistency, or the product's brush-tip applicator. I had high hopes for this eyeliner, because of all of its great reviews. However, I had no luck with the product. :(
Libby T.
Libby T.
Whitewater, Wi
Beauty Junkie Expert
June 12, 2016, 6:56 p.m.
Review for: Essential Black Eye Liner Elf Makeup Professional Sexy By E.L.F.
Since I use it every day, I've tried a ton of liquid liners from lots of brands and this is truly one of the better ones- especially for the price!

I really like the design. I prefer liquid liners where you physically dip the brush into the pot because I feel like it's easier to tell if you're really out or not. I like the brush- it's not stiff at all and it's very thin which makes it easy to be precise, yet it's still very buildable!

It goes on super wet and shiny at first but then when it dries it looks great and lasts all day!

One of the downfalls of it may be how wet it is at first- that can make it a little hard to work with, especially if you're not used to liquid liner. But if you give it a chance to dry and practice with it, it works just fine!

For this price, you really can't beat it. It's definitely worth trying- I really like it!
Selina L.
Selina L.
Lafayette, IN
Where is the cheapest place to purchase ELF?
Loribel A.
Loribel A.
Simpsonville, SC
I see a lot of girls using this product is it good and long lasting??
Mikayla F.
Mikayla F.
Baldwinsville, NY
Does it wipe off easily or fade away throughout the day?
michelle g.
michelle g.
valrico, fl
In what department/drug stores can I find e.l.f. products? on the hunt for some good cruelty free brands! thanks
Monique A.
Monique A.
Toronto,On
How good is elfs liquid eyeliner!?