BY EAT PRAY LOVE

• I have seen the movie but is the book any good?2 Answers
  • Is this better than the movie?2 Answers
  • Of the three places she traveled, where would you most like to go? 19 Answers
Eat Pray Love
  • "Loved this book - it was very depressing in the beginning because I really empathized with the main character but her experiences theoughout the rest of the book were just incredible." in 20 reviews
  • "I really enjoyed this book, it puts thoughts into my head where it makes me feel so motivated and inspired, then I realize that what she did was probably insanely expensive and I have 20 dollars to my name, so I ended up mad because I'm not in a position to do these things for myself and have that experience." in 17 reviews
  • "I would have to say that this is one of the few books I have read that the movie was actually much better than the book!" in 11 reviews
  • "This is a must read for women that want to pursue a non-traditional lifestyle or that are interested in solo travel." in 10 reviews
  • "This is a well written book however I find it interesting that she had to go across the world to find out truths about herself." in 7 reviews
Gia J.
As
someone who is in need a bit of spiritual guidance and a little
re-centering, I found that I could really relate to the disconnection
Elizabeth Gilbert works through in this book. Although I didn’t like
some of the ways she describes her recounts of some of the people she
encountered in the three countries she travels too—which is to be
expected since it is in first person narrative—this is one of my
favorite self-help book.

Now, this isn’t actually intended to be a
self-help book. In fact, it’s a memoir/autobiography book, but the way
in which Elizabeth recounts her life and personal boughts with sadness,
depression, loneliness, aloft and disconnection with the world is
something transcendedly borderless and profound. I have never broken
down for the same reasons she did at the end of her marriage or at the
end of her relationship before her journey, but the thoughts, fears,
anxiety and cry fests were all recognizable and familiar.

I also
enjoyed the way that Elizabeth incorporated skepticism, a fluid
perspective, and at times a philosophical approach with the narrative
because it didn’t feel preachy or telling. As I was reading this book it
felt more like an open conversation with someone as she was putting the
pieces of herself back together.

First, by cutting loose the
strings of her past and a heavy bag of worry by living in Italy. Second,
by discovering how to ground her heart and mind with her spirit and
then to the world around her in India. And third, by connecting the
pieces of herself that she’s discovered during the journey with the new
life that lay out before her since her divorce and the unhappiness she
was consumed with back in New York during her stay in Indonesia.

I
would love to be able to travel all over the world for a chance to
reconnect with my “true self,” but alas, that’s not economically
possible for me so I was happy to live vicariously through Elizabeth
during her journey and I would be happy to do it all over again.
Elizabeth R.
Linwood, NC
I watched Eat Pray Love before I read the books and I hate doing that but the movies made me very interested in the books. The book is a lot better than the movie. Every woman should read this book.
Alicia B.
Yawn. I could not even bring myself to finish this book, it was that bad. I hated the writing style and could not stand the main character. Just a rich, whiney girl that I could never connect with. I'm glad I purchased this book for a quarter at a book sale instead of buying a new copy because I'd be so disappointed if I actually spent any more than that on this trash... Yuck.
Moni P.
Vacaville, CA
I wasnt a huge fan of this. I felt angry at first. She was selfish and not willing to compromise only to end up giving it to a different man. I like that she takes the time to find her self. I think that it important, but just felt bad for her first husband
Danielle L.
Kissimmee, FL
I love this book!Elizabeth is a woman tired of her marriage. Her life collapses when she discovers that she wants a divorce and her husband refuses to sign the papers because he still loves her. Guilty of living in favor and dropping her husband in love, Liz despises herself.
She embarks on a date with a younger face, an actor who worked on a piece of paper she wrote. Their coexistence becomes turbulent and she finds herself separated, outside her home.
Exhausted from herself, her life and her disastrous relationships, Liz embarks on a year-long trip to Italy, India, and Bali. In Italy, she will discover her appetite as well as delight in the beautiful scenery. Fearless of calories, Liz finds out how much good food is worth and be good to herself. In India, Liz learns to pray, to meditate, where she finally discovers herself, forgiving her mistakes and her attitudes that she finds wrong. In Bali, she returns to a gentleman who predicted her marriage would end and she would return in a year there. He teaches you everything about balance.
Megan P.
Buffalo, NY
After all of the accolades this book received, I must admit that I was a bit disappointed when I read it. While Gilbert is no doubt a talented author, I never really got into the book. The slow plot and droll details made the book fall a little flat. This being said, I read the book in college during a time that the character wasn't as relatable as she is for many others. Overall, however, I would not recommend this book to others, given the opportunity.
Allison N.
Purvis, MS
Bookworm Expert
I discovered eat pray love as I was getting ready to leave a very rough relationship. Using this book a courage, I was able to get out of a bad situation and see that I can be my own source of happiness. This book is absolutely amazing and every young woman should read it to be able to see from another person's perspective that you are wonderful. The writing is breathtaking and you can't put it down because you're so engrossed with the characters.
ashley r.
HelpfulReport

Great work, ought to read the book to enjoy fully what they all means.
I heard everyone recommends the book more and was impressed with the book.
After completing reading, I wasn't disappointed with the movie either - the characters were mostly along with my images (I could see Liz in Julia Roberts) and I can see some nice twists the movie made as well (was also impressed about the contrast of Edward and Felipe as one lost his son and the other kept his)
Yolanda S.
Waco
Bookworm Expert
WOW VERY INSPIRING BOOK OUR FAMILY'S WE LOVE TO EAT PRAYING AND TO SPREAD LOVE THIS IS A GREAT READ AND AS A CHILD OUR GRANDMOTHER WOULD MAKE FAMILY'S DINNER AND WE ALL GO TO GRANDMOTHER ON SUNDAY THIS A TIME WE GET TOGETHER AND EAT AND WE PRAY FOR EVERYONE AND SPREAD LOVE YOU MY GRANNY USE TO SAY PRAYING IS THE BEST THING WE CAN DO FOR OTHERS AND SPREADING LOVE AND SHARE IN OUR FOOD AND EVEN IF WE DIDN'T HAVE MUCH SOME HOW THE LORD ALWAY MAKE IT GO A LONG WAYS WOW
Becky G.
Stow, ME
The frankness in which the author writes is refreshing, I learned so much about her physical and mental state that I had to remind myself that I wasn’t her doctor, or her psychiatrist. She shared quite a bit of overly personal information, but that just made it easier to relate to her, in my opinion. The little bits of “historical” information that she handed out were really interesting and enjoyable (ie: Italian language was decided by a council to be based on Dante’s language, Sanskrit language lessons—antevasin which means “one who lives at the border”, is the word for spiritual seekers) The book itself was well-written, in a self-deprecating style that reminded me a tad of Erma Bombeck. It was interspersed with humor, and occasionally you can see the real Elizabeth Gilbert–the one that is afraid of being alone, afraid of not fitting in. The way that she describes the people that she meets is great and very flattering, but leaves you to wonder if there were any faults to these people at all. Richard the Texan seems to be the most fleshed out character, but still not entirely believable. The way that she treats Wayan after meeting Filipe is disheartening, and makes me wonder if it wasn’t all a “publicity stunt” engineered for the book, and the altruistic gesture is was made out to be.

.All in all, it’s a book I would recommend – not as a self-help manual- but as an entertaining memoir that draws attention to several universal truths; spirituality can be found in simple things like food, wine, youth, health, joy, and also in pain and suffering, fasting and sacrifice. It shows that living and loving, and doing it well is a universal challenge. Is it going to help you answer your own life questions? Probably not, but it might remind you that you aren’t alone; others are searching for truth as well.
Leslie L.
Derry, NH
Of the three places she traveled, where would you most like to go?
Brittany G.
Evansville, IN
Is this book good?
Lisa F.
Did you like the book or the movie better?
Jacqueline K.
Baltimore, MD
Simple question. I have been considering reading this for a while. Should I?
Sarah-Jane  H.
Palmerston, Ontario
I've heard a heck of a lot about this book, is it all it's cracked up to be or just another flop?