BY DRYBAR

Buy now on Sephora
and get 4.0% CASH BACK with
powered by

What it is: A shampoo with activated charcoal to remove impurities and product buildup without stripping or drying out hair. What it does: The activated charcoal purifies and deep cleans your hair and scalp-it's capable of absorbing 100-200 times its weight in impurities. Vegetable protein strengthens and reinforces chemically treated or damaged hair. How to use: Vigorously massage a generous dollop into wet hair. Rinse well. Repeat if needed. Use 1-2 times per week. Brand: DRYBAR. Style Name: Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo. Style Number: 5447094. Available in stores. see more...

Buy on Sephora*
Sandra M.
Glen Ellyn, IL
LOVE the smell and feel of this shampoo. This was one of those shampoos where I literally got compliments after using it. My hair looked shinier than ever!

A little about my hair: it's thick, long, and straight- with a few course strands here and there. I don't color it, and I don't really do a proper blowdry/curling unless it's a special occasion. I only use dry shampoo on the weekends, and tend to shampoo my hair more often than I should.

So with that being said, this product tended to make my hair a little dry, unless I followed up with a lot of conditioner (especially at the roots).

The scent is incredible, and the product does what it's meant to do. The pricetag is a bit high, but as you are not supposed to use it that often, I think it's worth the cost for the nice clarifying treatment. I would recommend no more than 1x/ week for folks like me who use less hair product, and 2x/week if you are a regular dry shampoo/product user.
Kat J.
Received a free sample of this from Ulta (with the matching conditioner) and tried it a week ago.

CLAIMS:
A great blowout starts with super clean hair. On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo is enriched with activated charcoal to purify and thoroughly cleanse both the hair and scalp—absorbing 100 to 200 times its weight in impurities. It removes product buildup without stripping or drying out hair, while vegetable protein strengthens and reinforces chemically treated or damaged hair. Gentle enough for all hair types and textures. Cheers to charcoal!

LATHER:
Lathered nicely, not too many suds, distributed through my fine hair easily...

SCENT:
SUPERRRRRR strong charcoal scent,... And it does linger in your hair after drying. I personally didn’t mind this, but if you hate the scent of charcoal, this product would be too intense for you.

OTHER INFO:
Formulated without parabens, sulfates, & phthalates. This product is never tested on animals, and is safe for color-treated and keratin-treated hair.

RESULTS:
Just okay in my opinion. It did visibly clean and clarify my hair, but my ‘do got greasy and dirty within 2 days (as it usually does). So this didn’t extend the clean time of my hair at all, which was a tad disappointing. This did live up to the claims of not stripping my hair of moisture, so that was pretty great... My hair looked healthy, shiny, and overall cleaner. It did its job, but,... I don’t know, this shampoo just didn’t WOW me. It was good, but not my favorite. Would try again, but wouldn’t buy.

OVERALL GRADE: 3 / 5 stars.
⭐️⭐️⭐️
Alejandra G.
Sacramento
This shampoo is such an amazing detoxifier for your hair. I use mine about 2 times a month to help cleanse my hair really good. It also makes my scalp feel so good and has a cooling effect as well. I have dry ends but my hair gets oily mid day but with this shampoo my hair will not get oily until the next day which is amazing. The only downfall is that the bottle is not that big for $26. I wish they would either put more product in a bottle or have them be a little cheaper but overall fantastic bottle.
Kelli M.
Framingham, MA
This is an amazing shampoo if you’re a big dry shampoo user like I am! It really helps to wash away buildup and make your hair so soft and smooth after use. I know they make this as a line but I usually just buy the shampoo and use it once a week to help clarify my scalp and to keep my hair from looking dull. I love the drybar line and haven’t found a product I didn’t love yet!
Erica B.
Louisville, KY
This is a great clarifying shampoo. It pulls all the oil and excess product from my scalp and strands. My only issue is the price and amount of product. You just don’t get your moneys worth with the small bottle. Not granted you should only use a clarifying shampoo once a week or so which means you’re not going through it as much but I would prefer a cheaper price tag or bigger bottle
Alex :.
Boise
This shampoo is my favorite shampoo I have ever used. Working together with my conditioner it makes my hair so soft so smooth and so heathy. It went way over my expectations for this product! I would definitely recommend it!
Caroline A.
Wilmington, NC
I love drybar products, but this didn’t wow me. First off, the scent was not my favorite! Didnt like it one bit. I’m a sucker for a good smell. I wish this smelled like their dry shampoo. I will definitely be looking into another brand for a clarifying shampoo. I think it did make my hair feel good, but nothing that another brand can’t do.
Kathleen H.
Leesburg
This took my hair from okay to fabulous! Great scent and reduced how often I need to wash my hair! I had two people ask me what I did differently to my hair because it looked so good. Immediately reordered and recommend to everyone! I use it with color treated hair that’s usually oily and it is amazing!
Michelle T.
Dayton, NJ
This shampoo has a very thick consistency that a little bit of this goes a long way. It does feel very nourishing and it lathers well. Has a nice scent. Not really sure how "clarifying" it is since I'm still washing my hair the same frequency, but it does leave the hair feeling clean.
Amberjean G.
Kaplan, LA
OMG loooove this shampoo. I do not think I have ever felt my hair feel so deep cleaned. I usually wash my hair every other day and I have to use dry shampoo on the day I don't. Did not need dry shampoo between washing and honestly could have gone a third day without washing.

back