BY DRYBAR

What it is: A shampoo with activated charcoal to remove impurities and product buildup without stripping or drying out hair. What it does: The activated charcoal purifies and deep cleans your hair and scalp-it's capable of absorbing 100-200 times its weight in impurities. Vegetable protein strengthens and reinforces chemically treated or damaged hair. How to use: Vigorously massage a generous dollop into wet hair. Rinse well. Repeat if needed. Use 1-2 times per week. Brand: DRYBAR. Style Name: Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo. Style Number: 5447094. Available in stores. see more...

Kat J.
San Antonio, TX
Received a free sample of this from Ulta (with the matching conditioner) and tried it a week ago.

CLAIMS:
A great blowout starts with super clean hair. On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo is enriched with activated charcoal to purify and thoroughly cleanse both the hair and scalp—absorbing 100 to 200 times its weight in impurities. It removes product buildup without stripping or drying out hair, while vegetable protein strengthens and reinforces chemically treated or damaged hair. Gentle enough for all hair types and textures. Cheers to charcoal!

LATHER:
Lathered nicely, not too many suds, distributed through my fine hair easily...

SCENT:
SUPERRRRRR strong charcoal scent,... And it does linger in your hair after drying. I personally didn’t mind this, but if you hate the scent of charcoal, this product would be too intense for you.

OTHER INFO:
Formulated without parabens, sulfates, & phthalates. This product is never tested on animals, and is safe for color-treated and keratin-treated hair.

RESULTS:
Just okay in my opinion. It did visibly clean and clarify my hair, but my ‘do got greasy and dirty within 2 days (as it usually does). So this didn’t extend the clean time of my hair at all, which was a tad disappointing. This did live up to the claims of not stripping my hair of moisture, so that was pretty great... My hair looked healthy, shiny, and overall cleaner. It did its job, but,... I don’t know, this shampoo just didn’t WOW me. It was good, but not my favorite. Would try again, but wouldn’t buy.

OVERALL GRADE: 3 / 5 stars.
⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sandra M.
Glen Ellyn, IL
LOVE the smell and feel of this shampoo. This was one of those shampoos where I literally got compliments after using it. My hair looked shinier than ever!

A little about my hair: it's thick, long, and straight- with a few course strands here and there. I don't color it, and I don't really do a proper blowdry/curling unless it's a special occasion. I only use dry shampoo on the weekends, and tend to shampoo my hair more often than I should.

So with that being said, this product tended to make my hair a little dry, unless I followed up with a lot of conditioner (especially at the roots).

The scent is incredible, and the product does what it's meant to do. The pricetag is a bit high, but as you are not supposed to use it that often, I think it's worth the cost for the nice clarifying treatment. I would recommend no more than 1x/ week for folks like me who use less hair product, and 2x/week if you are a regular dry shampoo/product user.
T C.
Marshfield, MA
Awesome shampoo! I’d even go as far as calling it the BEST clarifying shampoo I've ever tried. It leaves my hair feeling and looking clean with a shine, yet doesn't dry hair out my hair at all, in fact its super soft. I have super oily hair and find most sulfate free shampoos don't remove the oil enough and leave my hair looking flat, but this shampoo gives my roots the clean feeling I'm looking for. I can also attest to the fact that it does not leave any black tint. I really love all drybar products, and his was no disappointment
McKayla S.
Whitewater, WI
As a biochemist, I believe in the power of charcoal and was excited to see a new and unique shampoo on the market like this. When I saw that mini sizes were also being made, I knew I had to try it before committing to the $26 full price. In all honesty, this product is not worth $26. It does clean your hair, but that's really about it and there are hundreds of shampoos you could buy for the same effect this shampoo gives and for much cheaper. It really isn't worth it.
Nicole B.
Charlotte, NC
I honestly thought this would dry my hair out and strip my color but it did the opposite. It brightened my color and made my hair super soft like it removed all of the gunk sitting on top. I will definitely get this again
Emily M.
Philadelphia, PA
I received this as a sample in my Sephora play box for March. The smell is like a medicated shampoo smell. It's sulfate free which i love. It does make my hair feel dry but paired with the conditioner it works amazingly. Will deff be purchasing the full size.
Kimberly M.
greenville, SC
What an interesting shampoo! You don't need to use a lot to get a healthy lather and I love the scent. It's like a clarifying wash that you use in your hair. It's definitely volumizing too.
alaina W.
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought this because I have a lot of product build up towards my roots, which can make my hair feel heavy and oily. Originally I had been using jumping juniper from Lush, but they discontinued in store sales of that product. I would say this works okay, but I feel I could find something better.
Elizabeth R.
West Columbia, SC
A little goes a long way with this. It lathers up very well and smells clean without being super girly. I got it as part of the Drybar Buttercup Fully Loaded Set
Aidee V.
Killeen, TX
I received a small packet in one of my beauty boxes to test out. Initially i was taken back by the smell but once my hair dries it is not that strong. I absolutely loved how it made my Jaír feel that i had to buy the full size product.