BY DROPBOX #32 in Apps

• What are your most frequent uploads to dropbox? 53 Answers
  • Can you save music files and share them?73 Answers
Britnee J.
Techie Expert Level 1
This app is so convenient. Often times, I have to send over recap photos for work and it can become a bit much to have to email them all. I was delighted when I came across this app. Its so simple and easy to use. They layout is very user friendly. I am now able to store all photos for a days recap and send over a simple link for my boss to look at. It does not get any better than that. You can access your photos and files from anywhere at anytime. So can whomever you give permission to, to view certain folders. Its genius.
Robin C.
Bergenfield, NJ
As a writer, I need to know the contents of my computer are safely backed up. Of course I have an external hard-drive I keep everything on, but that remains at home--and what if the worst were to happen? I've been using Dropbox for years for that very reason: so I know my data is backed up in a cloud that I can trust, that I can easily access from any computer or even just from my phone. I love their service and highly recommend it to anyone!
Vivian W.
Flagstaff, AZ
This is so easy! Especially since I'm not an apple user. It's easy to get into and see any documents or pictures or whatever. I like it because it's easy to get to from any device when you need something. It's great to back everything up through Dropbox or save everything to it as well as your computer so that if your computer ever dies or gets lost or stolen you still have everything somewhere that you can easily get to it.
Angela G.
Marion, TX
I have been using Dropbox for a very long time now. It's a great way for me to keep a lot of my photos and not use so much space in my phone. Oh and for cheaters/ players, this is the app to use.. Just saying, my ex use to use it to hide a lot of stuff from me. He would put all his photos on here and then delete the app. So sad, but yeah it keeps all your photos you add when you delete the app.
Jessica N.
Fremont, MI
Dropbox is a superbly implemented, cloud-based, automatic, file-synchronization service that's ideal for working with files you can store in a single folder.
Dropbox (free for 2GB to $49.99 per month for 500GB) is among the simplest, most elegant file-synchronization tool we've used. The premise behind Dropbox is it gives you access to your files no matter what computer or device you have at hand. The service stores files with strong encryption on multiple servers and lets you get at your files quickly, easily, and for the most part elegantly from virtually any Internet-enabled device.
Dropbox is both a Web-based and downloadable product. It works equally smoothly on Windows, Mac, Linux, as well as mobile devices including iOS (see our review of Dropbox for iPad, for example), Android, and BlackBerry. Dropbox synchronizes only files stored in a single dedicated folder, so if you prefer to synchronize folders you already have on your system without moving them into the Dropbox folder, Dropbox may not be for you (try SugarSync instead). But its smooth and hassle-free operation makes it one of our Editors' Choices for file-sharing and backup solutions.
Pricing
As a freemium service, Dropbox offers a few different pricing levels. First, there's Dropbox Basic, which gives you 2GB of storage at no cost. You can earn more free space through referrals (an additional 500MB per person, up to 16GB) and by recommending the app through other social methods, such as connecting your Twitter account.
Second, if you need more space, you can pay $9.99 per month for 100GB (or $99 per year); $19.99 per month for 200GB (or $199 per year); or $49.99 per month for 500GB (or $499 per year). These paid plans are known as Dropbox Pro.
Finally, a tier for small businesses is also available, called Dropbox Teams, for $795 per year, which provides 1 terabyte of storage for five users, plus an additional 200GB for every new user added ($125 more per year per additional person). Dropbox Team account holders also get administrative tools, telephone tech support, and access to unlimited version history.
If "free" is your magic word, you may be easily swayed toward a very good competing service called CX (4 stars), which offers a generous 10GB free space to start. SugarSync, our other Editors' Choice for file-syncing, gives you 5GB free space, which is more than double what Dropbox offers.
How to Get Dropbox
Dropbox is available as a download from the company's website. Don't look too hard for it in the Mac App Store because it's not there. The iOS version is in Apple's mobile app market (as it must be), and the Android and BlackBerry apps are in their respective marketplaces, too.
When you download and install the client, you'll have to sign into your Dropbox account or create a new one. Next, the program will create a new folder on your computer called "Dropbox"; you can choose where to install it, or let accept the default location (you can always move it later). A shortcut icon also appears (top menu bar in Mac, system tray in Windows) that lets you open your Dropbox folder with just a double click. From this same icon, you can also reach other preference settings, such as the folder's location and throttles on upload and download speeds.
Like its rival services, Dropbox stores synchronized files in the cloud so they're available on any machine where you've installed Dropbox or that has an Internet connection. Dropbox's storage preserves copies of earlier versions of the files in My Dropbox, so you always have the most current copy on your computers. We like that you can still access older versions (or files you deleted or moved) with just an Internet connection. One attractive feature (also available in SugarSync) is Dropbox's bandwidth-saving ability to upload and download only the parts of files that change during revisions. We made changes in a 125MB file and found that Dropbox only needed to transfer 2 to 3MB of data to update the file. That's a decent bandwidth savings.
Maria C.
Waco, TX
Techie Expert Level 1
We use Dropbox at work and it the best thing out there. The functionality of this product is awesome. We do not have to be on a server or at work to access files and we can be anywhere and get what we need. We also use this format as a way to upload our personal files.
Megan Y.
As a photographer this makes my job so much easier, to make an account this company is free for so much storage, I can create an online folder, and download as many pictures I want and I can share it with a client. They can view all the images and download without changing all my files, and I can view them anywhere because they are located on the cloud, so I don't need to be on my phone computer to show someone my portfolio.
Marisa T.
Atlanta, GA
I've been working in the web designing field for over 5 years and I'm very used to projects that requires a communication with a remote team usually in a different country. This is why DROPBOX is essential to me. Not only is it great for syncing files with clients and teams overseas, it is easy to use and learn for first-time users. I've never had problems teaching my clients how to use Dropbox yet and it's also great that if they delete something by mistake, I can go on the Dropbox website to restore it back. Even if you use this product by yourself, you can still use it as a cloud backup and sync files from your pc to your mobile to just about any media player with wifi that is dropbox accessible. It's a lifesaver many times for me when the computers go awry sometimes and I can just go to another computer, install dropbox or grab my files from the dropbox website. The other great thing is also the opportunity Dropbox gives you for FREE SPACE. You can hook up your social media, invite referrals, and all these actions increase your space size! I now have 20GB of free dropbox space through referrals and linking to my social media :D

UPDATES:
As of Jan 2013, I recently got upgraded from Dropbox from my current 20gb to a whopping 68gb free online space for 2 years! Wow awesome! Thanks dropbox!
Pip S.
Denver, CO
I feel like Dropbox used to be useful but is now more cumbersome than anything. Especially when trying to send an email and the email is too large so you have to upload to Dropbox but then that takes forever just to do that. It's not worth it to me anymore.
Kim C.
Techie Expert Level 1
I think I overuse DropBox. But it is so easy to use. I capture all of my photos at the end of the day, throw them on dropbox and erase from my phone. I hate using storage on my phone. Anything to help my storage out. I can create photo albums and share with friends and family. Excellent.
Kathleen B.
Tehachapi, CA
Can you save music files and share them?
Helene H.
What do you mostly use it for?
A J.
What are your most frequent uploads to dropbox?
lashara B.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Do you like dropbox
Jackie O.
Van Nuys, CA
Can you really sync your files ?