BY DOMINO/ADA

Arctic Monkeys: Alex Turner (vocals, guitar); Jamie Cook (guitar); Andy Nicholson (bass guitar); Matt Helders (drums).Audio Mixer: Jim Abbiss. Recording information: 2 Fly Studio, Sheffield, England; Telstar Studios, Munich, Germany; The Chapel Studio, Lincolnshire, England. Photographers: Andy Brown; Alexandra Wolkowicz. Reportedly the fastest-selling debut in British history at the time of its early-2006 release, the Arctic Monkeys' WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT is a brash, hook-filled album that immediately warrants music fans' attention, if perhaps not all of the pre-release hype. Clearly taking notes on the evolution of U.K. punk, the Sheffield-based band reveal the influence of revered predecessors such as the Jam and the Clash, while most notably evoking the Libertines in their youthful, hood-rat persona. On this hyperactive 13-track set, singer/guitarist Alex Turner is armed with an arsenal of sharply observed middle-class narratives (a la the Streets), which are propelled by wiry guitar lines and formidable rhythms that, at times, verge on funk (see Bloc Party). Highlights of this much-lauded disc include the raucous "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor," the woozy "Riot Van" (one of the record's few quieter moments), and the lurching "When the Sun Goes Down." Like Franz Ferdinand's scruffier (and considerably less effete) kid brothers, the Arctic Monkeys prove that the hyperbole of the U.K. music press occasionally has roots in an impressive reality. see more...

Jasmin R.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Arctic Monkeys have grown since this album came out. Would highly recommend everyone check out their old stuff. Alex Turner is so cool and smooth with his lyrics. 505 will always be a classic AM song to me.
Jennifer P.
Denver, CO
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
The Arctic Monkeys are a great British band and this album is my favorite of theirs. I often turn to it to help me through a boring workday. You can't help but feel better with these boys in your ears!
Rebecca F.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
One of my all time favorite albums! Who says rock is dead? The monkeys are infectious to listen to. There are so manny great songs here, in fact everyone is a
hit! Head-banging, fun lyrics, a complete album
Laura L.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Great debut album by the Arctic Monkeys with several standout songs like "Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong?" and "From the Ritz to the Rubble". If you like British rock, be sure to give it a try.
marilisa s.
Please, please, go to an Arctic monkeys concert or go to an Alex Turner concert! The enfant prodige is like no one else, his ballads and his voice will just capture the audience. A must listen and a must seen!
Antonella A.
Fort Worth, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Any of the music from the Arctic monkeys will be music everyone could like every single one of their albums are great all of their songs are captivating and leave you wanting more 10/10 recommend everyone to listen to them no matter what mood you're in!
Mary H.
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
I love Arctic Monkeys, especially these ones.
Really classic rock band with a great lead singer. I love Alex Turner. :(.
So addictive to listen too... It's funny because I'm listening to them right now.
Crystal A.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Gotta love the artic monkeys! This is one of my personal favorites. I recommend seeing them live, though, they're way better live than anything you hear recorded
Rachael S.
Jonesborough, TN
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
One of my most favorite albums if you like British punk rock your world does the writing is metaphorical and classic song writing style great band great music
Laurilyn V.
San Francisco, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
LISTEN TO THEMMMM I have two of their albums. I love them. I know "Do I Wanna Know?" Was played on the radio before but it needs to play more of their songs.
Laurilyn V.
San Francisco, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
What's your favorite song?
Rebecca F.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
What is your favorite arctic monkey album?
Patricia O.
Decatur, IL
What song on this album is your favorite
Ninoshka U.
Doral, FL
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Which song would you recommend ?
Antumn M.
Nesbit, MS
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Who is this? What artist his music related to?