BY DOMINO/ADA

Arctic Monkeys: Alex Turner (vocals, guitar); Jamie Cook (guitar); Andy Nicholson (bass guitar); Matt Helders (drums).Audio Mixer: Jim Abbiss. Recording information: 2 Fly Studio, Sheffield, England; Telstar Studios, Munich, Germany; The Chapel Studio, Lincolnshire, England. Photographers: Andy Brown; Alexandra Wolkowicz. Reportedly the fastest-selling debut in British history at the time of its early-2006 release, the Arctic Monkeys' WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT is a brash, hook-filled album that immediately warrants music fans' attention, if perhaps not all of the pre-release hype. Clearly taking notes on the evolution of U.K. punk, the Sheffield-based band reveal the influence of revered predecessors such as the Jam and the Clash, while most notably evoking the Libertines in their youthful, hood-rat persona. On this hyperactive 13-track set, singer/guitarist Alex Turner is armed with an arsenal of sharply observed middle-class narratives (a la the Streets), which are propelled by wiry guitar lines and formidable rhythms that, at times, verge on funk (see Bloc Party). Highlights of this much-lauded disc include the raucous "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor," the woozy "Riot Van" (one of the record's few quieter moments), and the lurching "When the Sun Goes Down." Like Franz Ferdinand's scruffier (and considerably less effete) kid brothers, the Arctic Monkeys prove that the hyperbole of the U.K. music press occasionally has roots in an impressive reality. see more...

Mackenzie H.
PA
I'm going to have to say that I do enjoy the arctic monkeys and I do think that this is one if not my favorite album of theirs, but all of the songs tend to sound similar. That doesn't mean that all of the songs are bad I think they're are quite good!
Jannette L.
Salinas, CA
5 stars for the freezing monkeys! This album has a bunch of great tunes and will definitely become one of your faves. It's different from any of their albums but that's what makes it special. Can't believe it's over 10 years old! Can't wait for the boy's new album!
Mechlia S.
Roswell, NM
Domino Recording Company, generally known as Domino, is a British independent record label based in London. There is also a wing of the label based in Brooklyn, New York that handles releases in the United States, as well as a German division called Domino Deutschland and a French division called Domino France. In addition, Stephen Pastelpresides over the subsidiary label Geographic Music, which releases more unusual British and World music. In 2011, the company announced that it was beginning a book publishing division, The Domino Press
Lauren G.
London, KY
I LOVE Arctic Monkeys. Since this is one of their earlier albums, you really can hear the raw talent in Alex Turner's voice that brought them to fame. The music is slightly different from the way they sound now; however, this is still a solid album with solid songs on it for any mood you may be in.
Elisabeth P.
San Ysidro , CA
I remember listening to Arctic Monkeys when nobody really knew about them, way before they were ever on the radio. This album in particular is the first I heard from them and that's when I became a fan. I believe they gave a whole new name and sounds to what is now considered indie music
Haley R.
I'm a huge Arctic Monkeys fan. I love all of their works and can't get enough of them. For me, this is my favorite album of theirs just because of the growth they displayed on this album. Each album is different from the others but they all feature Arctic Monkeys' signature song.
Larisse K.
Elizabeth, NJ
I think this or Favourite Worst nightmare is my favorite album by them. Love the Arctic Monkeys because they're almost Indie but almost Punk but almost Alternative. Definitely recommend. Especially bc people only pay attention to AM.
Stephanie R.
Toms River, NJ
Arctic Monkeys is a great band and has amazing alternative music and lyrics on each of their albums. I love this album and "Why do you only ever call me when you're high" album. I would recommend listening to these two albums!
Alex R.
Philadelphia, PA
One of my favorite Arctic Monkeys albums, classic and was the first one I ever remember hearing at a friend's house back in high school. The Arctic Monkeys have a very particular sound, and once you are hooked, you'll love them.
Alexia R.
Albuquerque, NM
I love this record! It makes me sad that AM has changed so much! Their new music is not the same quality that's you'd expect from their masterpieces such as this album. If you're into great lyrics and a great tune you'll enjoy this album!
Laurilyn V.
San Francisco, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
What's your favorite song?
Rebecca S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
What is your favorite arctic monkey album?
Patricia O.
Decatur, IL
What song on this album is your favorite
Ninoshka U.
Doral, FL
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Which song would you recommend ?
Antumn M.
Nesbit, MS
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Who is this? What artist his music related to?