DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, Soft Hold No-Crunch Styler

Is it for me?

If you want a non-drying gel that'll leave your curls soft, defined and frizz-free, your search is over!

What does it do?

This light-hold styler surrounds your curls with a non-sticky, protective curl cast that sends frizz packing and defines your curl shape. The unique formula, made with wheat and soy proteins locks in moisture, amps up shine and adds bounce.

How do I use it?

Rub gel between palms. Tilt head forward then scrunch gel all over very wet curls in an upward motion. Use the DevaTowel to soak up excess water and speed up air-drying time. Now hands off! Once curls are completely dry, shake at the root and gently scrunch upward again to soften the firm cast. You'll get soft, crunch-free curls.

Hello, i discovered Devacurl products line few days ago and was very hyped about the idea of the company that focuses on wavy/curl hair and makes products specially for them. But soon after this i found out how unsatisfied was one youtuber who was using it for years. Those products aren’t cheap. So what would you say, is it worth money or should i trust the girl from youtube and never buy this line?
Can this product be used on its own to style hair (and help with moisture and frizz) ?
I Love the lightweight feel of this product, but how do I apply it best to not give me frizz?
Start your review of DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, Soft Hold No-Crunch Styler!
Product Highlights
“I have a lot of long, curly hair & I can imagine I'd go through at least one $18-22 bottle of each product a month if I bought the larger sizes.” in reviews
“It's not heavy and doesn't give that wet hair look.” in reviews
“I have thick, curly hair and this Light defining gel works great on my hair.” in reviews
“Just tilt your head forward and scrunch into damp hair, do a little light diffusing or let air dry and be on your way!” in reviews
“I've tried so many different products to hold my hair without weighing it down and finally after 20+ years of searching I found this!” in reviews
Glenview , IL
I received a free deluxe sized sample from Ulta and used it in combination with their Styling Cream. I combined a small amount of both products, 1:1 ratio, applied to towel dried hair, scrunched my waves and let it air dry. To my surprise, my waves were not crunchy but softly defined. 75% of my usual frizz was reduced but the rest was taken care of with additional application of both products. My hair feels a little flatter and more weighed down than usual. I’ll keep adjusting the application, but not sold on the full sized products yet.
Proctorville, OH
#devacurl is absolutely amazing for my kinky curly unruly coarse dry hair!!! I love ALL of their products they are amazing and smell GREAT!! My hair does better than it ever has my daughter has the same hair it works wonders on her hair also!!!! Kind of pricey but sooo worth it I highly HIGHLY recommend this to all my curly girls!!!!DevaCurl Styling Cream, Touchable Curl Definer DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture, Matcha Butter Conditioning Mask DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, Soft Hold No-Crunch Styler
St Clr Shores, MI
Purchased at: Sephora
There is a lot of controversies around the devacurl products. Mainly stating that there must have been a reformulation of the products because everyone's hair is getting weak, thin, and brittle. Some are even stating that their curls are disappearing the longer they use these products. These are pretty alarming claims but they are true. I myself have even experiencing the dry hair that is brittle and breaking but did not make the connection until all this came to light on the internet.
Virginia
Unfortunately, DevaCurl products damaged my hair. Their products caused my hair to become very dry and brittle, which lead to breakage. It also caused hair loss, and messed up my curl pattern. I had to cut several inches off my hair because of the breakage and hair loss. I've stopped using their products but I'm still trying to help my hair recover from the damage. Thousands of other DevaCurl users are experiencing the same thing.
N Huntingdon, PA
Purchased at: ULTA
This is my favorite hair gel right now. I have fine 2b curly/wavy hair and if I want to go natural I have to use a gel or else it’ll just frizz up. The light defining gel gives my curls definition and leaves them soft and bouncy. I use it right out of the shower after leave in conditioner. I can sleep on my hair!after it air dries, wet it down a bit in the morning, add a bit more gel and go about my day. Worth every penny.
Moosup, CT
I have this and their ulta hold version. My hair is a mixture of 2b- 2c and sometimes 3a curls. I like the light defining Gel when I I want my curls to last all day and stay definded but still want to be able to run my fingers through the scalp of my hair. I can't do that with hard hold gels. So this gives me that satisfaction. I'm not a huge fan of gels in general though so idk if I would repurchase this.
Molalla
Purchased at: ULTA
This curling gel worked great for me once I first got it. It made my hair so soft and my curls looked great. After a 2-3 months of using this product my hair started to look different. I'm not sure why but it was a bit frustrating because I loved how it looked within the first month of using it. Not for me but I'm sure it would work great for someone else. #devacurl #hairproduct #stylinggel
Keansburg, NJ
This is really good soon as I put it in my curls react to it right away. My roots instantly star to wave up and streches my curls out nicely at the ends. Hold my hair very well and loosen up my shrinkage. Plus its not to messy and it doesn't leave you hair crusty which is good. Put its a really expensive product I order it from off my Amazon account where it was cheaper.
Unicoi, TN
This is one of the few gels I have tried that gives me great hold without weighing down my super fine 2c hair. I even put a tiny but into my daughter's baby fine 3a hair and it kept her hair in ringlets through rough play. I was very surprised! Typically gels are too heavy for me and actually pull some of the wave out of my hair instead of enhancing it. I was very pleased to see that this enhances my waves and holds well through the day. It does dry a little crunchy sometimes but a quick scrunch fixes it.
New Hartford, NY
I liked this product at first bc it really defined my waves. I have indian hair that is thick and waves. However, my hair only looked good for one day and it was painful to brush out. It made my hair feel crunchy and i usually prefer my hair feel really soft. If you strive for defined waves, this is for you but it wasn’t my priority to sacrifice soft hair!

117 questions

Ask a question to the Influenster community...